Nox software upgrade

sgabrie8544

software upgrade seems to work well for me. Although for some reason I seem to be reading old rusty nails/screws in the 30-32 range for Park 1? Anybody else seeing this?

At least I am not the only one. I was out with the NOX Friday and it was ringing up 29,30,31,33. Thought I had a crusty quarter. Instead, I had 3 or 4 rusty nails at 3 inches. Pulled them all out. Swung over the hole again and nothing. So it had to be the rusty nails giving me that signal. This was not the only time this, or similar, has happened to me.

Then I have had the issue of shallow shield pennies giving me 27 or 30 on the Nox. This ticks me off more than I care to admit.

I have also noted that my VDI's are off in general. Pennies should ring up at 21... I'm getting 25-26-27.

I'm not sure if it's right or wrong, (I leave my recovery speed at 6 Park 1) but if I swing at a "normal" speed and I swing over a 27 or higher signal, I get a "chirp". It is very close to a false signal. Kind of like when I bump brush or plants and it causes a feedback chirp. I have to really slow down my swing to hear a good signal over high reading signals.

This makes for very slow hunting. I love my Nox but I do think it has some issues that need to be looked into.

I have weird VDI numbers most days. Then some days it reads correctly so I’m at a loss as what to tell you! Copper pennies seem to be the biggest challenge ranging from 22-30.

Just Sent This Thread to Minelab

Just sent this thread to Minelab [email protected]
The email I sent them:

Equinox Issues:

Please Forward as Needed:

Hello, my name is Todd and I have the Equinox 800 that has the update. First off, I love this machine, but I think it still has some issues that need to be looked into.

May want to follow this Friendly Metal Detecting thread.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=271411

It's about issues with the NOX... My contribution to this thread:

At least I am not the only one. I was out with the NOX Friday and it was ringing up 29,30,31,33. Thought I had a crusty quarter. Instead, I had 3 or 4 rusty nails at 3 inches. Pulled them all out. Swung over the hole again and nothing. So it had to be the rusty nails giving me that signal. This was not the only time this, or similar, has happened to me.

Then I have had the issue of shallow shield pennies giving me 27 or 30 on the Nox. This ticks me off more than I care to admit.

I have also noted that my VDI's are off in general. Pennies should ring up at 21... I'm getting 25-26-27.

I'm not sure if it's right or wrong, (I leave my recovery speed at 6 Park 1) but if I swing at a "normal" speed and I swing over a 27 or higher signal, I get a "chirp". It is very close to a false signal. Kind of like when I bump brush or plants and it causes a feedback chirp. I have to really slow down my swing to hear a good signal over high reading signals.

This makes for very slow hunting. I love my Nox but I do think it has some issues that need to be looked into

I hope that ya'll are aware of these issues and have a fix in the works. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Nice, I'm not crazy then. Yes its horrible digging all those nails with over 30 readings. My copper pennies are coming in 24-26. Clad dimes are 26. Quarters 29-30. Zinc pennies are 20-21 if i remember right.

But yes same as you, once the nails are gone so are the tones, so there is nothing left in the hole.

Dont want to make this into a Nox issues thread..........Maybe thats aleady happened. LOL

I got a new 6" coil, I tried it out then put the stock coil back on for this new site I found.

When I pinpoint the volume is very weak, then the volume jumps up after waiting a few seconds. This happened all weekend on every target I pinpointed. Yes I did a factory reset and I have the newest update. I had charged up the nox and the headphones friday.

I dont know if this is because the 6" coil did something to the machine or if its coincidence.

:?:

I have weird VDI numbers most days. Then some days it reads correctly so I’m at a loss as what to tell you! Copper pennies seem to be the biggest challenge ranging from 22-30.

That was my biggest hang up with that machine,digging pennies.Couldnt tell them apart from Adam,and I was digging 6 to 7 inch pennies in places I didn’t want to dig a bunch of plugs,manicured lawns are hard to hide plugs somtimes...Its a good machine,but imo the visual ID needs tweaked.

That was my biggest hang up with that machine,digging pennies.Couldnt tell them apart from Adam,and I was digging 6 to 7 inch pennies in places I didn’t want to dig a bunch of plugs,manicured lawns are hard to hide plugs somtimes...Its a good machine,but imo the visual ID needs tweaked.

Exactly. I was digging in places I would only dig with a sweet signal and getting rusty nails. WTH, my mother almost had a stroke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zinc pennies range from 18-22. Coppers from 22-30. Dimes 25-27. Quarters 29-32 Not sure what you guys are getting? I just did a factory reset. Found a dime and a penny in the front yard I missed with the AT pro. Around 7”.

Zinc pennies range from 18-22. Coppers from 22-30. Dimes 25-27. Quarters 29-32 Not sure what you guys are getting? I just did a factory reset. Found a dime and a penny in the front yard I missed with the AT pro. Around 7”.

I’m not knocking the machine,but the ID for modern pennies was pretty much from 18 to 26,and in between..There was nothing accurate about the coin denomination on either 600 I had..I mean if it said it was a coin,it was definitely a coin,and thats a good thing.But being selective was another story.

Just finished a hunt with my firmware updated Nox 600, at a new super trashy spot= default Park 1, except for sens. at 15, 5 tones, ground is thawing out and is super damp. Nickels solid at 11(rarely), 12, 13, corroding zinc pennies were reading from 18 to 25 depending on depth and orientation, copper pennies including 2 wheats 25-28, clad dimes 25-28, quarters 28 to 32. Most coins were 2" to 6". The only odd readings were the zincs. Like I said, the ground is soaked and the halos around the zincs (which are nasty enough when the ground is not super saturated) seemed to be almost amplified as in: I would recover a zinc penny and my handheld pinpointer could still pick up the penny's halo like another penny was still in the hole which there wasn't.

As for iron, I constantly use the horseshoe button to check for iron when it is really wet or if I get a good repeatable signal in one direction and a crappy or no signal at 90 degrees. I have tested this a lot. If I get a thin, whining high tone (30 to 39) move 90 degrees and get minus number iron nearby and a medium to shallow depth target (down to 8" or so) it is usually an iron target. I have dug a couple of really nasty clad quarters near iron at that depth. After running into this scenario too often to count and digging rusty iron I think it is the simultaneous multi frequencies hitting on the different qualities of iron included in the rusted and not yet rusted internal parts of the iron target. I think it is called iron wrap around and some people call it iron high tone falsing. I not sure I would call it falsing in the case of the multi freq. Nox. I use an audible threshold tone in every mode to check for minus number nulling (iron mostly). When I hear threshold nulling associated with any target ID or tone that mimics a non-ferrous target I always get negative numbers and low tone grunts on those targets when I engage the horseshoe button and over roughly 90% or the time they are iron when recovered.

Jeff

Dont want to make this into a Nox issues thread..........Maybe thats aleady happened. LOL

I got a new 6" coil, I tried it out then put the stock coil back on for this new site I found.

When I pinpoint the volume is very weak, then the volume jumps up after waiting a few seconds. This happened all weekend on every target I pinpointed. Yes I did a factory reset and I have the newest update. I had charged up the nox and the headphones friday.

I dont know if this is because the 6" coil did something to the machine or if its coincidence.

:?:

I second that quiet pin point action! I move the coil off to the side and repress the pin point button. That seems to fix it.

Just finished a hunt with my firmware updated Nox 600, at a new super trashy spot= default Park 1, except for sens. at 15, 5 tones, ground is thawing out and is super damp. Nickels solid at 11(rarely), 12, 13, corroding zinc pennies were reading from 18 to 25 depending on depth and orientation, copper pennies including 2 wheats 25-28, clad dimes 25-28, quarters 28 to 32. Most coins were 2" to 6". The only odd readings were the zincs. Like I said, the ground is soaked and the halos around the zincs (which are nasty enough when the ground is not super saturated) seemed to be almost amplified as in: I would recover a zinc penny and my handheld pinpointer could still pick up the penny's halo like another penny was still in the hole which there wasn't.

As for iron, I constantly use the horseshoe button to check for iron when it is really wet or if I get a good repeatable signal in one direction and a crappy or no signal at 90 degrees. I have tested this a lot. If I get a thin, whining high tone (30 to 39) move 90 degrees and get minus number iron nearby and a medium to shallow depth target (down to 8" or so) it is usually an iron target. I have dug a couple of really nasty clad quarters near iron at that depth. After running into this scenario too often to count and digging rusty iron I think it is the simultaneous multi frequencies hitting on the different qualities of iron included in the rusted and not yet rusted internal parts of the iron target. I think it is called iron wrap around and some people call it iron high tone falsing. I not sure I would call it falsing in the case of the multi freq. Nox. I use an audible threshold tone in every mode to check for minus number nulling (iron mostly). When I hear threshold nulling associated with any target ID or tone that mimics a non-ferrous target I always get negative numbers and low tone grunts on those targets when I engage the horseshoe button and over roughly 90% or the time they are iron when recovered.

Jeff

Thanks great info thanks!

I confirmed again yesterday, Nox 600 with updated software, park 1. I had several high tones 28-32 and dug up a large rusty nails. Once on the surface there is no reading.

about 43 degrees ground somewhat damp.

I confirmed again yesterday, Nox 600 with updated software, park 1. I had several high tones 28-32 and dug up a large rusty nails. Once on the surface there is no reading.

about 43 degrees ground somewhat damp.

Thanks for the observation. Did you try pushing the all metal horse shoe button before you dug it to see if the numbers jumped to the minus side?

Back
Top Bottom