Low Latency in-ear headphones for Nox

Yes, the Sennheiser CX 6.00 BT earbuds work with the EQ600 and EQ800 - they pair easily, have good run time starting from full charge, good sound quality, and definitely work in Low Latency mode (the headphone/Bluetooth/+ symbol is displayed when properly paired). I do own them, but no longer use the Sennheiser earbuds with my Equinox, mainly because I can’t get them to stay in my ears. They come with multiple tips of different sizes like most earbuds, but none of them work for me - I constantly had to fiddle with the earbuds to keep them in place. In no time, one or the other would slowly slide out of position or pop completely out again. The control boxes that dangle down from your ears don’t help the situation, as their weight actively pulls on the earbuds too. For me, earbuds with “ear hangers” or other stabilizing mechanism is needed, especially if sweat is a factor (standard earbuds slide out of a slick ear canal even more easily).
So you are now using what brand,? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So you are now using what brand,? Cheers

I’ve been using Avantree Clari Air AptX LL earbuds since the beginning of June. They have the kind of ear hangers that loop right over your ear - perfectly comfortable even with my eyeglasses that I always wear. They’ve always stayed perfectly in place, never once coming loose or falling out. They pair quickly, sound better to my ears than the stock headphones on my 800, and connect as AptX LL.

I have two main complaints with the Avantree earbuds. One is that run time seems somewhat short - I don’t think I get much more than about 4.5 hours starting from full charge. Good enough for most of my hunts, but I end up needing a backup plan for those occasional days when I can spend an entire day detecting. And they certainly need to be charged between every outing, or I risk running out of juice in the middle of the second hunt even if they are back-to-back short hunts.

My second complaint is that the connection drops occasionally - I can usually count on the connection dropping about 2 or 3 times during the course of a four hour hunt, sometimes more, but rarely less. It seems to happen after the detector has been motionless for awhile - like when I put it down to dig a target. It doesn’t happen every time the detector is motionless for a time, but when it does drop the connection, that seems to be the common theme. They don’t always reconnect on their own, but I’ve found if I turn the earbuds off and back on, they reconnect immediately. Not terrible, but still almost as frustrating as having them fall out.

Anyways, these two complaints combined are serious enough for me not to recommend them, which is why I didn’t mention them specifically until you asked. I am still using them for now, but only until I find another set that suit me better. If I find another set of earbuds to use, I’ll probably still carry the Avantree pair in my detecting bag as a back up set - despite their drawbacks, I like them better the Sennheisers, which are just gathering dust. I don’t even bother carrying them as a backup.

I’ve been using Avantree Clari Air AptX LL earbuds since the beginning of June. They have the kind of ear hangers that loop right over your ear - perfectly comfortable even with my eyeglasses that I always wear. They’ve always stayed perfectly in place, never once coming loose or falling out. They pair quickly, sound better to my ears than the stock headphones on my 800, and connect as AptX LL.

I have two main complaints with the Avantree earbuds. One is that run time seems somewhat short - I don’t think I get much more than about 4.5 hours starting from full charge. Good enough for most of my hunts, but I end up needing a backup plan for those occasional days when I can spend an entire day detecting. And they certainly need to be charged between every outing, or I risk running out of juice in the middle of the second hunt even if they are back-to-back short hunts.

My second complaint is that the connection drops occasionally - I can usually count on the connection dropping about 2 or 3 times during the course of a four hour hunt, sometimes more, but rarely less. It seems to happen after the detector has been motionless for awhile - like when I put it down to dig a target. It doesn’t happen every time the detector is motionless for a time, but when it does drop the connection, that seems to be the common theme. They don’t always reconnect on their own, but I’ve found if I turn the earbuds off and back on, they reconnect immediately. Not terrible, but still almost as frustrating as having them fall out.

Anyways, these two complaints combined are serious enough for me not to recommend them, which is why I didn’t mention them specifically until you asked. I am still using them for now, but only until I find another set that suit me better. If I find another set of earbuds to use, I’ll probably still carry the Avantree pair in my detecting bag as a back up set - despite their drawbacks, I like them better the Sennheisers, which are just gathering dust. I don’t even bother carrying them as a backup.
Cheers mate I ended buying the Sennheiser CX 6.00 BT earbuds. Retail for $170. Pawn shop had them brand new in damaged box for $95. I offered them $60. They said yes. So I have everything now, wife said no more. But I found 10cents yesterday. Yeah, need to find another 13,000 10c coins now.
360e0b113ee42283acc0e6b9f1262976.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So for the Nox there's no benefit to getting the 5.0 versions, correct? At least for now, unless they can somehow add support via software

Ok so it took me a while to find a good answer but it seems like there's not much difference between aptx HD and aptx LL. basically 40 ms and 32 ms respectively. It's much harder to find an inexpensive waterproof in ear headphones that are aptx low latency, when really aptx is already "low latency" itself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.maketecheasier.com/sbc-vs-aptx-vs-aptx-hd/?amp

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Has anyone got feedback on the TaoTronics earbuds? They are aptX which I believe is low latency. I've got no experience with earbuds of any kind, just looking for some that will easily connect to my equinox and be reliable. They are forty bucks at amazon with 500+ reviews; 83% 4 & 5 stars....

TaoTronics Wireless Headphones Bluetooth 5.0 Sports Earphones Magnetic Earbuds aptX HD Audio 14 Hours Playtime

Has anyone got feedback on the TaoTronics earbuds? They are aptX which I believe is low latency. I've got no experience with earbuds of any kind, just looking for some that will easily connect to my equinox and be reliable. They are forty bucks at amazon with 500+ reviews; 83% 4 & 5 stars....

TaoTronics Wireless Headphones Bluetooth 5.0 Sports Earphones Magnetic Earbuds aptX HD Audio 14 Hours Playtime

I had a set of Tao Tronics until a few days ago. I wouldn't use them for listening to music but they were great for detecting. Good battery life, good fit, not much delay.

Great catch, Chris. I missed this one -- it could be because I filtered by the price on Amazon. $100 would be too much for me, personally. Especially if they give me no advantage over Samsung.

There is 2.6x faster data transmission on 4.2 (think download/upload speed), I am not aware of shorter latency (think ping in network terms). In short, 4.1, 4.2, or 5.0 don't really affect latency. All aptX(LL) headphones I could find data on ranged between 32-36 ms. ML80s that come with the Nox800 have a delay of 40 ms listed in the manual. WM08 module connects using proprietary streaming technology, not BT, so the delay is 17 ms -- in addition to the delay of the headphones paired with it. I am pretty sure under 50 ms most people won't notice the difference.

Regarding BT protocol used in the Nox: that would be a great question for ML, because neither their user manual nor their website states which one it is. Which makes me think it's 4.1, because 4.2 or 5 would really be an overkill for the purpose, and companies like to tout any "cutting edge" technology they are using.

Page 66 of the Equinox 600/800 manual and the leaflet that came with the ML bluetooth headset say it uses bluetooth 4.1

No, most people will definitely prefer LL even at normal sweep speeds--I've tried both. You can compensate by slowing down the swing once you are trying to pinpoint the target, but it can be irritating to experience the lack of "tightness" when it comes to target location with non-LL earphones, at least for me.

Would tend to agree with that...it's like watching TV when their is a slight audio delay and the actors lips don't quite sync...It's not a huge issue on the face of it but somehow it becomes most annoying...

One other thing for people to keep in mind, especially with the cheaper units is that sometimes manufacturers will change their specs and suddenly the latest models are no longer Low Latency...I came across this quite a bit when I was looking for some good value BT headphones for my Racer 2 a couple of years ago, and I bet it's the same with buds ect.

There's a year and a half difference btween posts 27 and 28. Some things may have changed.

FWIW here's a response from an inquiry to Minelab a few weeks ago.
Not sure it's completely relevant but worth at least what it cost ya. ;)
Minelab does not offer wireless earbuds currently. We recommend Bluetooth version 4.2 or higher & APTX Low Latency for best results!
We have no reports of issues with name brand headphones/earphones. TROND is also a aftermarket brand that has been recommended by some other detectorists.
So ver 5.0 b/t buds would be compatible? That's what I see mostly when I search. Thanks!
Yes, Version 5 you should have no issue along as they have APTX LL (Low Latency) and a trusted brand

Back
Top Bottom