Selling found phones...

I told them I found it in the lake, the phone would not power up obviously, so I could not retrieve any numbers or data to track down the owner.. I also told them to feel free to send it back to the owner if they felt the need or could..

<*)))>{

Not pointing the finger here, just trying to work through it. It seems most of these sites have the same process. I've emailed a couple, told them I found the phone on the beach, and it's obviously abandoned. I found it, I own it. But that's not how they see it.

R5

Not pointing the finger here, just trying to work through it. It seems most of these sites have the same process. I've emailed a couple, told them I found the phone on the beach, and it's obviously abandoned. I found it, I own it. But that's not how they see it.

R5

I hear ya man, never felt pointed at...

I guess all I can do is see what ones make it through... The ones that don't get through, well, they have all the super high tech, hooked up with the FBI, space age owner tracking...They can send em home...:lol:

If the police show up I'll be glad to show them how they are found...

<*)))>{

Last week i retrieved a Samsung S4 for a lady which had been lost while falling from a horse in a ditch. The S4 had a whole night of laying in the water. Told her too take it apart wash it off and lay it in rice. Few days later got a call that it was still working fine. Salt and time would wear a lot more, but still could be usable items in them!

Or if you are actually feeling somewhat ambitious about getting the most money and not having to worry about someone telling you the phone has been reported stolen so they get to keep it for free, eBay. Take a couple pictures of it, make sure you are clear that it was found in a lake, and you'll get at least as much as these cash4gold type places easy.

Or if you are actually feeling somewhat ambitious about getting the most money and not having to worry about someone telling you the phone has been reported stolen so they get to keep it for free, eBay. Take a couple pictures of it, make sure you are clear that it was found in a lake, and you'll get at least as much as these cash4gold type places easy.

Good point, I need to have to learn how to use fee bay one of these days...

<*)))>{

Funny Story

Crazy story relating to this I thought you all would enjoy. I own <<UNAUTHORIZED LINK REMOVED>> we purchase all sorts of electronics and when someone sent us a lost device, we told them we cannot confirm it is not stolen so we can't purchase it.

In response, the customer told us that they found it diving and they have video footage of it being found at the bottom of the ocean. Here's the vid if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_DUkJ3Bs8U

My team got a kick out of it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mmmmm

:police::police::police::police::police: That's why i through the one not working in the trash, land fill is a better RIP place rather than returning it to the water . Knock on your door is coming :shock::hide::realitycheck::jail::police: :laughing: Return the working phone's to the owner and get a reward, trash the phone's not working :yes:

So I found a couple smart phones this season.. After asking around it looks like this is the place to do it...

https://www.gazelle.com/

I looked up the two phones, damaged and not working, $50 & $35, the IPhone was the $50...

Filled out the application, chose the "send a free box and label" option, a few days later I found two boxes in my mail box.. Stuck the phones in the boxes and stuck the label on, two minutes later they were ready to send in...

Then I got this...

"Your box has been delivered!

Your box has arrived at Gazelle. Next, we'll unpack the box and prepare your item for inspection. Look out for our email updates along the way.

If you have any questions, please visit our help center.

Thanks,
The Gazelle Team "

Then this...

"Good news! Everything checked out.
We've tested your Apple iPhone 5 16GB (Sprint) (SR46846973899) and everything checked out. The condition was just as you described.

Your payment will be sent in 3 to 5 days. We'll send you a confirmation email once your payment is on its way.

Thanks,
The Gazelle Team"

Looks like I'm 3-5 days away from $85, in all for both phones, it took about 15 minutes of work on my end!!

I will update this once I get my money as well. I just thought I would share this with you guys, seems pretty easy. I'm looking forward to more phones in my scoop at this point!!

<*)))>{

Thanks for sharing! I just tried it and seems legit

Hmmm. I found a iPhone X that will not turn on even though it probably only was in the fresh water for less than 24 hours. I had it in rice for 2 weeks. I check and it was reported lost for good and replaced already. I wanted to sell it for parts as it was fresh water damage and still good. Not a scratch on it. I will look into this.

Hmmm. I found a iPhone X that will not turn on even though it probably only was in the fresh water for less than 24 hours. I had it in rice for 2 weeks. I check and it was reported lost for good and replaced already. I wanted to sell it for parts as it was fresh water damage and still good. Not a scratch on it. I will look into this.

Looking at some potentially big cash for that 1. Have you tried charging it? It is possible to take it to the iphone shop and have them open it. Maybe a new battery is needed... those phones are worth some big bucks.

Found 4 cell phones in Gulf this year. One found in 3 ft water was in a "LifeProof" case and was waterproof. Was surprised after I threw it on the ground that it woke up. Was able to return to owner via carrier. Other 3 were shot but heard they might be worth something. After reading this thread, decided to just throw 2 away and give Apple to Grand Nieces and Nephews to take apart and discover what is inside an iPhone.

Found 4 cell phones in Gulf this year. One found in 3 ft water was in a "LifeProof" case and was waterproof. Was surprised after I threw it on the ground that it woke up. Was able to return to owner via carrier. Other 3 were shot but heard they might be worth something. After reading this thread, decided to just throw 2 away and give Apple to Grand Nieces and Nephews to take apart and discover what is inside an iPhone.

Good post. Curious what the result of the re-united phone was ? The one you traced through a carrier. Was there any tip or reward that came your way ? Not that that steers our efforts, but ..... just curious.

What i found out !

The I phone i found in the wet was still on, it had a emergency # on the front screen, phone lost CALL # , it was locked, but would let you call that number, i had called from that phone early AM to the owner, NO answer, i turned the phone off to conserve power, that afternoon i powered it up , talked to the owner, he new the GPS location , but was unable to figure out what house i was at, he pulled in my neighbor's drive way , so the GPS lost locator is not dead on, i held the phone until he got his wallet out , 1st i had to explain were i found it , 6 inches in the wet sand , with a block location , using a metal detector , and the time i found it , he was happy to hand me a reward, cheaper than buying a new phone, if it wasn't for me, that phone would have been in the Ocean ON the next high tide , Earl

Good post. Curious what the result of the re-united phone was ? The one you traced through a carrier. Was there any tip or reward that came your way ? Not that that steers our efforts, but ..... just curious.

Never found out; just gave it to the carrier and they said they would return to owner...never heard from any body, and that was fine w me.

there are a lot of professional scammers on ebay who use there policies against you when selling cell phones on ebay ,they ask for imei #and then you get told the phone is stolen they get a refund and keep your phone, been there never again .if I cant sell locally for what ever I can get for a found broken phone I fling it back in to the abyss.

there are a lot of professional scammers on ebay who use there policies against you when selling cell phones on ebay ,they ask for imei #and then you get told the phone is stolen they get a refund and keep your phone, been there never again .if I cant sell locally for what ever I can get for a found broken phone I fling it back in to the abyss.

I made that post 6yrs ago. My experience at the time was selling one phone I had found unrelated to metal detecting. It was in absolutely terrible shape and had probably been run over before being left outside for months... I found it under a bush by a parking lot after landscapers cut the plants back. Auction style, started the bidding at shipping costs and it went for about sixty bucks. I didn't do anything with an IMEI.

I have no idea what it's like specifically for phones now but what you've described is an issue endemic to eBay in general. If you sell to a malicious buyer eBay will happily return the money from your account and let the buyer keep your item. Being scammed is awful but given that the alternative is simply tossing the phones in the trash what are you actually losing? Do you get some sort of strike on your account? Seems like it would still be worthwhile even if they don't all work out...

Back
Top Bottom