A three silver day!

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
I got a call from Lovestheshiny early today saying he was visiting family in the local area for the holiday. He lamented that he hasn't been able to get out for a while because it has been cold in Missoula with snow (-10 degrees cold) and wanted to know if I was up for a hunt. I jumped at the chance to go on a hunt with him to an area he had actually scouted locally during an earlier visit. Frankly the area isn't the most promising looking, but there were a few older homes scattered among the '30s and '40's vintage houses. The curbstrips were pretty rough looking too. Not to fear, David seems to have a real nose for silver, even when it’s not his home ground and his instincts didn't fail us today. We started the day on a permission, and David's second coin was a Merc. We were hoping this would be a portent of more good things in some of the other permissions we hoped to obtain. Our second permission produced only a few wheats within the bounds of the fenced yard, but we moved out to the adjacent curbstrips. Nearing the end of the curbstrip, I got a decent 30-32 signal on my Nox and removed the plug - not there. I then dug down through the rocks and eventually I popped out a brown disc that at first glance looked like a clad quarter. Closer examination revealed the figure of Miss Standing Liberty under a layer of the nastiest encrustation I have seen on a silver coin recovered from the dirt. After showing it to David, I returned to the hole and ran my detector over it again. I noted another decent signal immediately adjacent. Popped out another plug and there was a Merc (much shinier than the SLQ). A two coin silver spill. We proceeded along the curbstrips and a couple more permissions with nothing more to show than wheats. As the sun was waning, we got a final permission on a lot where an old house had been torn down sometime in the past. There was nothing in the area where the front yard had been, but when we moved to the former back yard area David began popping up wheats left and right. I just kept getting Memorials! Just as we were ready to quit I got a final high tone and recovered another what appeared to be a clad quarter. It was dark, the coin was again really encrusted and so I struggled to see the date. Under later scrutiny after rubbing the edge I was surprised to see a silver rim revealed, making silver coin #3 for the day.
In the end I recovered a 1923 Merc, 1929S SLQ (my third ever!) and a 1951S GW. A great multi-silver day. I ultimately had to apply extreme measures to remove the heavy layer of crud on the two quarters, but was finally able to reveal them more clearly.
Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• 20221120_183654.jpg
    20221120_183654.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 357
  • 20221121_101852.jpg
    20221121_101852.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 350
  • 20221121_101931.jpg
    20221121_101931.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 347
Well done RoS. Congrats on the triple silver day. I had my first triple silver day in a long time today also but you finds way outshine mine. And sharing it with LTS probably made it that much more rewarding. What no silver dollars ?:lol: Good luck. Mark

Well done RoS. Congrats on the triple silver day. I had my first triple silver day in a long time today also but you finds way outshine mine. And sharing it with LTS probably made it that much more rewarding. What no silver dollars ?:lol: Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark. I have the good fortune of being able to hunt with two great partners - LTS and Buellride. That's the real pleasure for me in this hobby. Glad to hear you had a three silver day too. Good luck on your future hunts and Happy Thanksgiving.

Wow, a three silver day with two of them being quarters, AND one of those quarters being an SLQ. It don't get much better than that when going after the shiny!

BEAUTIFUL Stander Gale! Dated and clean....very nice job...congrats đź‘Ť

Thanks Paul. Sorry I didn't give you the call to see if you were available. There's a Stander out there waiting for you, and I want to be there when you find it! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Wow, a three silver day with two of them being quarters, AND one of those quarters being an SLQ. It don't get much better than that when going after the shiny!

Thank you Silverhorse. I myself was stunned when I discovered that the last find of the day was another silver quarter. Really made my day.

Congrats on the 3 silver day. That SLQ looks sharp.

Appreciate your comment Longbow. It's too bad that it was just so encrusted that I actually had to abuse it to expose the detail underneath. Still looks pretty good though.

Nice finds Gale! That Stander did turn out quite nice in spite of you working Lady Liberty over to get that crusty stuff off! Always a pleasure to detect with you, just back to Montana so thought I'd check out your thread, thanks again and good luck detecting on the nice Puget Sound days!

Back
Top Bottom