Coinstar Spill? WTH???

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
I had to go to Hannaford today to pick up the 18 lb fresh turkey for the Thanksgiving dinner. Got it, all set, and went to the self-checkout. There is a Coinstar machine against the wall, and until recently, I never really even looked at the thing because I never use it. However, since joining the forum, I see members who regularly hit the Coinstar and find things. So, I have looked at it twice before in the last couple of weeks but it has been empty...up until today.

I finish the self checkout, and walk past the machine, and can see the change receptacle is loaded with change. I could see silver coins, and pennies. The place was busy and I kind of felt like a thief, so I scooped out all the coins as quickly as I could, shoved them in my pocket and headed out the door carrying the turkey.

I get to the car, load up the turkey, and pull the wad of coins out of my pocket to see what is there. What I grabbed was a total of 26 coins and one Guardian Angel token. There were 9 clad pennies, a couple nickels, and quite a few dimes and 1 quarter, but there were coins in the mix that I had never seen before.

I pull out my iphone and use the magnifying glass to look at them closer to see what I have...and I proceed to view, then snap pictures and use Google Lens, to figure out what they are. To my amazement, I have an excellent condition coin that turns out to be an 1897 Austrian Franz Josef 2 Heller! Next coin is a 1942 British Half Penny! Next one is a 1955 Portugese 10 Centavose. Last, but not least, out of the 10 dimes in the change receptacle, one of them is a 1962 silver Rosie.

I don't even know what to make of this whole thing. All I can think of is that someone went to the Coinstar and emptied a coin jar or something, and took the converted currency and just left the rejected coins in the receptacle.

I was thinking a Coinstar might have one or two coins rejected, but this was a fistfull of coins, and I am shocked to have found a pre-1900 Austrian coin among the rejects. Holy She She! I am going to start looking more often!

Attachments

• Coinstar Spill 22 Nov 22.jpg
    Coinstar Spill 22 Nov 22.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 1897 Austrian 2 Heller Front 22 Nov 22.jpg
    1897 Austrian 2 Heller Front 22 Nov 22.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 1897 Austrian 2 Heller Back 22 Nov 22.jpg
    1897 Austrian 2 Heller Back 22 Nov 22.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 1942 Half Penny Front 22 Nov 22.jpg
    1942 Half Penny Front 22 Nov 22.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 292
  • 1942 Half Penny Back 22 Nov 22.jpg
    1942 Half Penny Back 22 Nov 22.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 1955 Portugal Ten Centavos Front 22 Nov 22.jpg
    1955 Portugal Ten Centavos Front 22 Nov 22.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 442
  • 1955 Portugal Ten Centavos Back 22 Nov 22.jpg
    1955 Portugal Ten Centavos Back 22 Nov 22.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 297
  • 1962 Rosie Front 22 Nov 22.jpg
    1962 Rosie Front 22 Nov 22.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 286
  • 18 Lb Shady Brook Farms Turkey.jpg
    18 Lb Shady Brook Farms Turkey.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 281
Welcome to the unpredictable world of Coinstar!
Here's a couple of pieces of advice to make your Coinstar adventures a little safer.
Carry a few plastic bags and a rubber glove to keep "Cacazuma's Revenge" off your hands or in your pockets and wash the coins well in a detergent of some kind before handling them.
Congratulations on your nice haul!
Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your Turkey!

Yes you can find anything & everything in a coinstar. People try to dump anything that is coin shaped into it, I have found watch batteries, slugs, lots of foreign coins too, & lately a few silver Rosie's. Younger people don't know that we used to have silver in our currency so they have no clue. Bad for them, good for us. Keep checking them you will be surprised💰💰

You need to check this more often. perhaps there will be Roman coins from the 1st century BC. )))) Сool hunt

Back
Top Bottom