• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Possibly looking for a new machine.

luked

I have had an Etrac in the past, but due to some financial issues at the time I had to sell it to make up some cash.
So I have been without a machine for a while.
My son has a Vanquish 340 that I had got him but he dosent want to use it by himself. Wants to go with me and with me not having a machine that makes it hard to do.
So I am window shopping right now and trying to figure out what machine to get and I have been out of the game for a bit.
I mainly hunt for coins really, not a huge relic guy.
I think I have it narrowed down to a Nox 800 or Legend.
I dont know a lot about either of these machines.
Could some of you that have experience with these machines offer some insight on them.

The Vanquish line are excellent detectors, but something like the Nox 800 or Legend are far more versatile. They will both find more coins than the Vanquish because of that versatility. However, that's only true if you know how iron bias, recovery speed, and different frequencies affect performance.

You'll likely get the same answer from most when it comes to the proverbial "Nox 800 or Legend?" question. That is, they have about the same performance, but the Legend has better build quality, and is much less costly to purchase, as well as much less costly for accessories such as coils, etc.

have to agree with what Digalicious said

The Legend and the Nox 800 are so close in capabilities that it basically comes down to build quality and cost between the two I have the Legend and my buddies that I occasionally detect with have done capability comparisons between the two none of us can give an advantage one way or the other.

where we do notice a huge difference is the build quality the Legend has over the Nox 800

there has been no issues with shaft problems on the Legend, that I am aware of there also has been no reported drownings of any of the Legends that I am aware of cannot say that about the Nox 800 there has been many complaints of both those issues on the Nox 800, also the Nox 800 has many complaints of coil ears breaking no complaints of coil ears breaking on the Legend, there has been reported issues with the Legends external speaker just all of a sudden going out as to how many I have no idea, with that said Nokta/Macro has taken care of the speaker issues fairly quickly, the Legend is still in the process of having updates sent out to us that own the Legend the nox has had no recent updates offered in I could not tell you when probably 3 years, which is just a guess on my part

with the deal that Nokta Macro has going rite now you would be hard pressed to find a deal like that on a Equinox 800 that deal will not go for ever

what all this boils down to is do you want to pay more for a nox 800 or pay Less for a detector that is virtually the same as the nox 800 the Legend is basically that but the Legend also has some added features that the Nox 800 does not have

the capabilities are so close it is a coin toss

just my two cents

I have an Equinox 600. Have never seen or used a Notka Makro. I'm happy with the 600 except it (and the 800) are "waterproof" in quotes because many have not been. I guess my standards are lower because I have never felt the overall build quality is bad enough to complain about.

"They" say: The Legend build quality is better. I think so far (and other so claimed Notka detectors) are truly waterproof. The performance is right up there with 800. The price in the most basic package is about half the price of the 800.

It appears the Legend is having some oddball but minor software glitches, maybe the result of being a smaller company, lean and hungry to compete... Minelabs may have issues but are very minor, perhaps because they are bigger and more established...

That said, I'm seriously tempted to try a Legend, simply because it is the insanely good bang-for-the-buck competitor to the solid performer 800 and apparently holing it's own. I'd go Legend.

I have both the Nox 600 and the Legend. I did drown my Nox this summer so only the legend goes under water now. All things considered I will say they are pretty equal in performance. And there is no need to waste your money on the 800 unless your hunting gold nuggets. Both machines have 3-year warranty's and the cost of the 600 and Legend propack are pretty much equal.

Steve

I have an Equinox 600. Have never seen or used a Notka Makro. I'm happy with the 600 except it (and the 800) are "waterproof" in quotes because many have not been. I guess my standards are lower because I have never felt the overall build quality is bad enough to complain about.

"They" say: The Legend build quality is better. I think so far (and other so claimed Notka detectors) are truly waterproof. The performance is right up there with 800. The price in the most basic package is about half the price of the 800.

It appears the Legend is having some oddball but minor software glitches, maybe the result of being a smaller company, lean and hungry to compete... Minelabs may have issues but are very minor, perhaps because they are bigger and more established...

That said, I'm seriously tempted to try a Legend, simply because it is the insanely good bang-for-the-buck competitor to the solid performer 800 and apparently holing it's own. I'd go Legend.

I will say your statement about small glitches those glitches have been addressed by Nokta/Macro each and every time rite now there really is no glitches other then one that I am aware of, the Legend is still in the update process, each and every update that has been released to us has made huge improvements in the Legend, to me that is a great thing in my opinion, I just chock it up to the detector being so new, and Nokta/Macros first jump into SMF has been a great jump, mine was one of the first to hit the U.S, I do know from looking at all my buddies Nox 800s the build quality on the nox is not even on the same playing field of the Legend all my friends that use the Nox had to replace the shafts on their Nox 800 two of those friends had to have control pods replaced due to (water intrusion this one not once but twice) also several of my friends had to have coils replaced because of coil ear breakage, those things are all build quality issues, in my opinion someone should not have to purchase a new shaft at $150 to fix an issue that should have never happened then have coil ears break off for no reason and drown a supposedly water proof detector, this is not me blowing smoke up someones behind this is reported facts, that everyone that has a Nox does not want to even own up to well I will change that statement to most hard core nox fan boys do not want to own up to, I am a fan of Nokta/Macro but I am also a fan of what ever detector works for me that rite now just happens to be the Legend.

I have both the Nox 600 and the Legend. I did drown my Nox this summer so only the legend goes under water now. All things considered I will say they are pretty equal in performance. And there is no need to waste your money on the 800 unless your hunting gold nuggets. Both machines have 3-year warranty's and the cost of the 600 and Legend propack are pretty much equal.

Steve

even gold detection is very very close, gold detection is my main detecting I detect for Gold nuggets 99% of the time and only occasionally detect for coins, the comparisons I speak of were made while detecting for gold nuggets.

I will say your statement about small glitches those glitches have been addressed by Nokta/Macro each and every time rite now there really is no glitches other then one that I am aware of, the Legend is still in the update process, each and every update that has been released to us has made huge improvements in the Legend, to me that is a great thing in my opinion, I just chock it up to the detector being so new, and Nokta/Macros first jump into SMF has been a great jump, mine was one of the first to hit the U.S, I do know from looking at all my buddies Nox 800s the build quality on the nox is not even on the same playing field of the Legend all my friends that use the Nox had to replace the shafts on their Nox 800 two of those friends had to have control pods replaced due to (water intrusion this one not once but twice) also several of my friends had to have coils replaced because of coil ear breakage, those things are all build quality issues, in my opinion someone should not have to purchase a new shaft at $150 to fix an issue that should have never happened then have coil ears break off for no reason and drown a supposedly water proof detector, this is not me blowing smoke up someones behind this is reported facts, that everyone that has a Nox does not want to even own up to well I will change that statement to most hard core nox fan boys do not want to own up to, I am a fan of Nokta/Macro but I am also a fan of what ever detector works for me that rite now just happens to be the Legend.

I believe everything you say is correct. I sort of rushed that response. From what I read, Notka/Makro is addressing the software issues as they arise.

By build quality, I meant the overall sturdiness/solidity of the Equinox. I don't work mine hard, I haven't had issues, nor need it to be sturdier. Some folks do.

Yes, they've had enough water issues, and coil ear issues for us to notice, way more than just anecdotal. I haven't personally read about anyone breaking a shaft, just wanting one with "less wobble." So yes, if you include those issues as part of build quality, then yes, the build quality has issues. Minelab is capable of better, but somehow cut corners too far on these.

I'm no fan boy one way or the other. I'm more partial to Fisher if anything. But like I said, I don't really need a new detector, don't need a Legend, but I see the reported tremendous value there, and am tempted anyway. I think part of it is seeing generally happy Notka/Makro owners in recent years -- it's not some "off brand" anymore. So yeah, starting over today, for my money, I'd go Legend over Equinox.

I believe everything you say is correct. I sort of rushed that response. From what I read, Notka/Makro is addressing the software issues as they arise.

By build quality, I meant the overall sturdiness/solidity of the Equinox. I don't work mine hard, I haven't had issues, nor need it to be sturdier. Some folks do.

Yes, they've had enough water issues, and coil ear issues for us to notice, way more than just anecdotal. I haven't personally read about anyone breaking a shaft, just wanting one with "less wobble." So yes, if you include those issues as part of build quality, then yes, the build quality has issues. Minelab is capable of better, but somehow cut corners too far on these.

I'm no fan boy one way or the other. I'm more partial to Fisher if anything. But like I said, I don't really need a new detector, don't need a Legend, but I see the reported tremendous value there, and am tempted anyway. I think part of it is seeing generally happy Notka/Makro owners in recent years -- it's not some "off brand" anymore. So yeah, starting over today, for my money, I'd go Legend over Equinox.

I wasn't directing my fanboy comment towards you just in general, i almost went with an Equinox 800 but for me I just could not get past the build issues and the Leaking issues that I witnessed in my friends, and if you go to my profile you will know I am not a fan boy of any one manufacturer, my favorite detector of all time is the Mine Lab Xterra 705 and to be honest with you I have never been a fan of Garrett until I purchased the Garrett 24K and am planning to get the new Garrett Axiom because of the type of detecting I do which is mainly gold nugget detecting, I have owned a whites TDI special edition, which I just recently sold to get funds together for the Axiom if a detector works I am a fan no matter what brand it is I love them all as long as they work.

hunting a tot lot with the legend earlier and was picking up these little round things about the size of the "o" on my keyboard on my phone. So i know the legend will pick up gold flakes. The legend is built like a tank

If the choice is solely between the Equinox 800 and the Legend, it’s pretty much impossible and foolish not to choose the Legend. Nokta Makro successfully created a copy of the Equinox 800 with essentially equal performance, better build quality, and a cheaper price. I love my Equinox 800, but I purchased it years ago, when the Legend didn’t exist - so at the time, I was purchasing “state-of-the-art” equipment with no real comparable competition for the price. Someone starting now, with both to chose from? The choice is clear for several reasons beyond price, performance, and build quality already mentioned:

• Legend is a relatively new to market product that is actively being updated (software) by the manufacturer
  • Minelab has moved on from the 600/800 series - no additional software updates should be expected
  • Long term re-sale value of a new Equinox 800 will be severely undercut with the recent release of the 700/900 series. Re-sale value of a Legend looks more stable in the foreseeable future
  • Long term warranty service may become more difficult on an Equinox 800 when production ceases in favor of the 700/900 series (remember, control pods on the EQ800 do not get repaired, they only get replaced)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom