UV Lights and Fluorescent Minerals - a fun side hobby to metal detecting !

Still on the topic of Scapolite samples......

KT now has added to the Royal Fluorescent Mineral Collection two more examples of scapolite, another one from Badakhshan, Afghanistan and one from Sterling Hill Mine, Ogdensburg, Sussex Co., New Jersey!

The first 3 pictures are of small clear crystal sections of scapolite from Afghanistan. The first pic is natural light, the second is in SWUV 254nm, and the third is in LWUV 365nm. The longest of these crystal sections is 5/8ths of an inch.

The last two pictures are of a scapolite specimen from New Jersey. The first picture is natural light and the second is SWUV 254nm. No response to LW. This specimen is a small hand sized piece.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Scapolite clear, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in., natural light.JPG
    Scapolite clear, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in., natural light.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Scapolite clear, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Scapolite clear, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Scapolite clear, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in., UVLW 365nm.JPG
    Scapolite clear, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in., UVLW 365nm.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Scapolite, var. meionite, with augite, Franklin Mine, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV= 2.75 in, natural ligh.JPG
    Scapolite, var. meionite, with augite, Franklin Mine, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV= 2.75 in, natural ligh.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 390
  • Scapolite, var. meionite, with augite, Franklin Mine, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV= 2.75 in, SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Scapolite, var. meionite, with augite, Franklin Mine, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV= 2.75 in, SWUV 254nm.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 111
Here are a couple of calcite specimens from New Jersey

Both from the same locality...Sterling Hill Mine, Ogdensburg, Sussex Co., NJ.

This shows that even at the same locality there can be differences in the common mineral, differences that might easily be overlooked without using UV lights!

The first specimen has two pictures and is a salmon colored calcite, less than 2" across. The first picture is in natural light. The second picture is in SW 254nm. It does not fluoresce in LW 365nm.

The next specimen has 3 pictures, and is coarsely grained white calcite with a vein of white calcite crosscutting it. It is fist sized. The first picture is in natural light. Second picture is in LW 365nm light, and shows 2 colorations of calcite, a reddish orange and blue white. The vein is slightly different composition, resulting in the blue white color. Finally the 3rd picture was taken using SW 254nm. Note the different SW color than the first piece (pinkish red) versus this piece (orangish red). Also willemite, the mineral fluorescing green in this SW view does not fluoresce in LWUV. So there are some notable differences in the two specimens when looking at them with UV lighting!

Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• Calcite, salmon colored, Sterling Hill Mine, Odgensburg, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV=2 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Calcite, salmon colored, Sterling Hill Mine, Odgensburg, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV=2 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Calcite, salmon colored, Sterling Hill Mine, Odgensburg, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV=2 in., natural ligh.JPG
    Calcite, salmon colored, Sterling Hill Mine, Odgensburg, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV=2 in., natural ligh.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Calcite, massive with calcite vein, Sterling Hill Mine, NJ, FOV=3.5 in., natural light.JPG
    Calcite, massive with calcite vein, Sterling Hill Mine, NJ, FOV=3.5 in., natural light.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Calcite, massive with calcite vein, Sterling Hill Mine, NJ, FOV=3.5 in., LWUV 365nm.JPG
    Calcite, massive with calcite vein, Sterling Hill Mine, NJ, FOV=3.5 in., LWUV 365nm.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 115
  • Calcite, massive with calcite vein, Sterling Hill Mine, NJ, FOV=3.5 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Calcite, massive with calcite vein, Sterling Hill Mine, NJ, FOV=3.5 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 116
Today in the Royal Mailbox......

This specimen of Fluorapatite on quartz crystals arrived all the way from Afghanistan, via a Pakistani eBay dealer!

The specimen is only 1 inch long but it is mighty in SW 254nm fluorescence!:laughing::laughing:

KT had been waiting nearly 3 weeks for it to get here, and now that has arrived it has been photographed and posted here for YOUR pleasure in viewing!

The specimen is from the Dara-e-Pech pegmatite field, Dara-e-Pech District, Paprook, Kunar Province, Afghanistan. Lots of nice specimens coming from this region presently!

Picture 1 is in natural light, and Picture 2 is in SW 254nm light. It also fluoresces in LW 365nm, but the picture was not so good, so KT did not bother to keep it to post. KT has not posted a nice yellow fluorescent mineral in awhile!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Fluorapatite with Quartz, Dara-e-Pech District, Kunar Province, Afghanistan, FOV=1.25 in., natur.JPG
    Fluorapatite with Quartz, Dara-e-Pech District, Kunar Province, Afghanistan, FOV=1.25 in., natur.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Fluorapatite with Quartz, Dara-e-Pech District, Kunar Province, Afghanistan, FOV=1.25 in., SW 25.JPG
    Fluorapatite with Quartz, Dara-e-Pech District, Kunar Province, Afghanistan, FOV=1.25 in., SW 25.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 124
Another scapolite specimen

This single 15 carat crystal is from a marble deposit located in the Morogoro Ulu guru Mountains, Morogoro Region, Tanzania. Many of these transparent pale yellow crystals are sent to either India or Pakistan to be cut into small gemstones for collectors. On first look the crystal appears to be colorless, but on a white background it is pale yellow. The length of the crystal is 0.60", so KT was able to place it diagonally under his Chinese USB led microscope and examine it at the lowest magnification of 10X to see both the termination and nearly all the length of the crystal.

There are 4 photographs. The first is in natural light. The second is in LW 365nm light. The third is in filtered LW 365nm, and finally, the fourth is in SW 254nm light. The last picture was a problem to photograph as the fluorescence was very pale and not visible on a black background, but when KT held it in his hand the pink fluorescence was obvious to the eye. KT tried to use a white background, but all of them either fluoresced bluish white, washing out the pale pink color to the camera, or reflected too much blue from the UV lamp, also washing out the pale pink fluorescence. Finally, KT found a non fluorescent yellow paper and the pink showed up nicely in the photograph. KT sometimes has to experiment to get the picture that shows the color that the eye sees naturally! This is simply because the camera response is not exactly the same as the eye response to different wavelengths of light.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• Scapolite - Morogoro Ulu guru Mtns., Tanzania. FOV=0.5 in., natural light .JPG
    Scapolite - Morogoro Ulu guru Mtns., Tanzania. FOV=0.5 in., natural light .JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Scapolite - Morogoro Ulu guru Mtns., Tanzania. FOV=0.5 in., LW 365nm .jpg
    Scapolite - Morogoro Ulu guru Mtns., Tanzania. FOV=0.5 in., LW 365nm .jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Scapolite - Morogoro Ulu guru Mtns.,Tanzania. FOV=0.5 in., filtered LW 365nm.jpg
    Scapolite - Morogoro Ulu guru Mtns.,Tanzania. FOV=0.5 in., filtered LW 365nm.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Scapolite - Morogoro Ulu guru Mtns., Tanzania. FOV=0.5 in., SW 254nm.jpg
    Scapolite - Morogoro Ulu guru Mtns., Tanzania. FOV=0.5 in., SW 254nm.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 112
Continuing with the scapolite theme!

Here we have 2 more scapolite specimens from the Koksha Valley, Kuran Wah Mujhan District, Badakhstan, Afghanistan. These have likely been irradiated to make them dark blue, but for KT that is no bother. People have been treating gemstones to enhance them for over 200 years, and even changing colorless quartz crystal to smoky crystal via radiation since the mid 1950s.

The first pictures are of a single double terminated crystal, about 1" long in natural light, filtered LW 365nm light, and SW 254nm light. And an attractive specimen it is!

The second batch of pictures are of a cluster of crystals, with some terminations, measuring ~ 3" in length. The first image is in natural light, the second in SW 254nm, the third in unfiltered LW 365nm, and the last picture is in filtered LW 365nm. KT prefers the filter images as they look more like what the eye sees than what the camera image captures for the color! The filter KT uses is pale yellow and it also removes the fluorescent blue white specks of house dust from the image! HA HA

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan,  FOV=1.5 in, natural light.JPG
    Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=1.5 in, natural light.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan FOV= 1.5 in., filtered LWUV 365nm.JPG
    Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan FOV= 1.5 in., filtered LWUV 365nm.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV= 1.5 in., SWUV 254nm .JPG
    Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV= 1.5 in., SWUV 254nm .JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Scapolite cluster, Badakhstan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in.,  natural light.JPG
    Scapolite cluster, Badakhstan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in., natural light.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Scapolite cluster, Badakhstan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in.,  SW 254nm .JPG
    Scapolite cluster, Badakhstan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in., SW 254nm .JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Scapolite cluster, Badakhstan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in.,  LWUV 365nm.JPG
    Scapolite cluster, Badakhstan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in., LWUV 365nm.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 111
  • Scapolite cluster, Badakhstan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in.,  filtered LW 365nm.JPG
    Scapolite cluster, Badakhstan, Afghanistan, FOV=3 in., filtered LW 365nm.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 105
Another specimen from a far off country! LOL

The specimen, pictured below, arrived today at the Castle from a German dealer and after looking at the very sparse locality info, KT looked up the town name and country in mindat.org. Hmmm, there were a dozen or so sites listed close to that community, so His Majesty ran down every one individually, and none of them had the three minerals present that I was looking for....in fact none of them had any of the 3 minerals present.

So His Majesty wrote the dealer via email (ain't it wonderful!) and asked if he had a better location as there was nothing on mindat.org in the vicinity of that town that listed the following 3 minerals: scapolite, diopside, and phlogopite. After lunch KT got the answer back from him that although that was the locality name furnished by the fellow he had purchase a volume of fluorescent minerals from, he had had his own doubts about it and after some considerable effort, he thinks he has the right location: Malaschofsky Quarry, Krems-Land District, Lower Austria, Austria. KT looked that up and sure enough it is an active marble quarry, with all of those and more minerals listed on Mindat.org.

His Majesty likes this specimen due to the color contrast of the two principle fluorescing minerals! Scapolite is a distinctive orange in LW 365nm and Diopside is a fluorescent blue in both LW 365nm and SW 254nm! The scapolite is not responsive in 254nm.

So we have 4 pictures of this hand specimen. Picture 1 is in natural light, Picture 2 & 3 are in both a weak LW 365nm lamp light, held 18" from the specimen, and a strong 3 bulb LW 365nm lamp, held 3 feet away from the specimen (any closer and the camera response is totally wiped out!). The 4th picture is of the back side of the specimen in SW 254nm due to there being more diopside present than on the front side and it being in larger grains. And the calcite marble matrix is essentially unresponsive to any UV lamp in the Castle. If that Calcite fluoresced red, this would be one amazing specimen....and likely it would have been totally out of the Royal price range! :laughing::laughing:

Anyway, enjoy the pictures!

BTW, KT has ordered a mount for his new to me Pixel 6 phone, which is a hand-me-down from Prince John. He wanted the new Pixel 7 Pro, so His Majesty helped him out by buying his Pixel 6. Yes, the King has been drawn into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming, but now has the fun of learning how to use that phone camera and perhaps taking some better pictures of fluorescing minerals than the old HP Photosmart M547 will do. We shall see! And the old flip phone got recycled! :lol::lol:

More on that mount when it arrives!

Attachments

• Scapolite & Diopside, Makaschofsky Qy., Austria, FOV=4 in., natural light.JPG
    Scapolite & Diopside, Makaschofsky Qy., Austria, FOV=4 in., natural light.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Scapolite & Diopside, Makaschofsky Qy.,  Austria, FOV=4 in., 1 bulb LW 365nm.JPG
    Scapolite & Diopside, Makaschofsky Qy., Austria, FOV=4 in., 1 bulb LW 365nm.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Scapolite & Diopside, Makaschofsky Qy.,  Austria, FOV=4 in., 3 bulb LW 365nm.JPG
    Scapolite & Diopside, Makaschofsky Qy., Austria, FOV=4 in., 3 bulb LW 365nm.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 105
  • Scapolite & Diopside, Makaschofsky Qy., Austria, FOV=4 in., SW 254nm .JPG
    Scapolite & Diopside, Makaschofsky Qy., Austria, FOV=4 in., SW 254nm .JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 105
Two more specimens arrived while KT was on vacation in Galveston, TX

One is a willemite with fluorite from Sterling Hill Mine, NJ. It is an Ex-Earl Verbeek specimen. Earl is now in charge of the Sterling Hill Minerals Museum. KT met him years ago while he was still gainfully employed by the US Geological Survey in Denver, CO!

Anyway, the first picture is in natural light and the second picture shows the SW 254nm response of the willemite (green) and the fluorite (blue).

The second mineral is a small but spectacular specimen, in UV light, of marialite, a member of the Scapolite Group. The first picture shows the white on white appearance of the scapolite crystal on white calcite marble from Badakhshan, Afghanistan. The second picture shows the response to SW 254nm light, the marialite being white and the calcite is pink. The last picture shows marialites response to filtered LW 365nm light as bright yellow orange.

KT really likes the color combination of white and pink!

Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• Willemite with fluorite, Sterling Hill Mine, Sussex Co., NJ FOV=2.5 in., natural light.JPG
    Willemite with fluorite, Sterling Hill Mine, Sussex Co., NJ FOV=2.5 in., natural light.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Willemite with fluorite, Sterling Hill Mine, Sussex Co., NJ FOV=2.5 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Willemite with fluorite, Sterling Hill Mine, Sussex Co., NJ FOV=2.5 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Marialite, Scp Grp in calcite marble matrix, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=1.5 in, filtered LW 36.JPG
    Marialite, Scp Grp in calcite marble matrix, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=1.5 in, filtered LW 36.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Marialite, Scp Grp in calcite marble matrix, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=1.5 in, SW 254nm.JPG
    Marialite, Scp Grp in calcite marble matrix, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=1.5 in, SW 254nm.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Marialite, Scp Grp in calcite marble matrix, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=1.5 in, natural light.JPG
    Marialite, Scp Grp in calcite marble matrix, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=1.5 in, natural light.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 101
Put olde KT in a Christmas mood!

These specimens just arrived at the Royal Mailbox today! And as in the title, when KT looked at them in LW 365nm UV light, they put Him in the mood for Christmas! :lol::lol:

The first specimen is a miniature piece of adamite with calcite from Ojuela Mine, Mapimi, Durango State, Mexico. Horizontal dimension (FOV) of the picture is 2.5 inches. The first picture is in natural light and the second is in LW 365nm UV. The response of the calcite (white) is so bright it washes out some of the green response of the adamite.

The second batch of pictures are of 6 ruby crystal sections, weighing in at 0.5 pounds. These are not gem grade of course, but were purchased for their interesting fluorescence and size. The first picture of the rubies (pic 3) is in natural light. The next is in LW 365nm and the last image is in filtered 365nm. Filtering takes out the blue reflections, which gives an image more like the unaided eye sees! His Majesty hopes these put you in a mood for Christmas to be here, too! :D:D

Attachments

• Adamite with Calcite, Ojuela mine, Mapimi, Durango, Mexico, FOV 2.5 in., natural light.JPG
    Adamite with Calcite, Ojuela mine, Mapimi, Durango, Mexico, FOV 2.5 in., natural light.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Adamite with Calcite, Ojuela mine, Mapimi, Durango, Mexico, FOV 2.5 in., LW 365nm.JPG
    Adamite with Calcite, Ojuela mine, Mapimi, Durango, Mexico, FOV 2.5 in., LW 365nm.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Ruby, India, large crystals, FOV=4.5 in, filtered LW 365nm.jpg
    Ruby, India, large crystals, FOV=4.5 in, filtered LW 365nm.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Ruby, India, large crystals, FOV=4.5 in, LW 365nm.jpg
    Ruby, India, large crystals, FOV=4.5 in, LW 365nm.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Ruby, India, large crystals, FOV=4.5 in, natural light.jpg
    Ruby, India, large crystals, FOV=4.5 in, natural light.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 94
Wow, you keep finding more and more neat specimens KT !!!! :thumbsup:

Sorry I haven't posted as much recently, busy with chores and projects, recently built a wall with folding door to wall off kitchen and dining area from living room, still need to do finishing touches with more molding. (helps save heating costs when you can mostly heat areas you are using at the time)

Happy Thanksgiving !!!!

:happythanks: :pilgrim:

Wow, you keep finding more and more neat specimens KT !!!! :thumbsup:

Sorry I haven't posted as much recently, busy with chores and projects, recently built a wall with folding door to wall off kitchen and dining area from living room, still need to do finishing touches with more molding. (helps save heating costs when you can mostly heat areas you are using at the time)

Happy Thanksgiving !!!!

:happythanks: :pilgrim:

Great to hear from you, GKL! His Majesty was beginning to wonder if you were still kickin' around on this earth! :laughing::laughing: Yes, KT has been busy and presently has several more interesting fluorescent specimens on the way from far distant lands! Will get them posted whenever they arrive at the Castle!

Two more fluorescent minerals added to the Royal Collection!

KT is still feeling a bit stuffed from all the Thanksgiving meal and left overs, but thankfully it is nearly all gone now! :laughing::laughing:

So in the Royal Mailbox today were a couple of packages addressed to His Majesty of the Central Kingdom.

The first specimen is a fluorapatite crystal from Badkahshan, Afghanistan. It is a single well formed crystal, a hexagonal prism, pale pink in color and translucent. The first 2 pictures show it looking down the C-axis, so that one can see it is hexagonal in form, and the second picture is looking at it from right angle to the C-axis, which in the image is oriented N-S. The 3rd picture was taken looking down the C-axis, using SW 254nm light, and the zoning is very apparent, the core fluorescing yellow and the exterior fluorescing bluish. The 4th picture is taken in the same orientation in LW 365nm light and again the core fluoresces yellow, and the exterior is pink in response. Trace elements that are incorporated during formation and changed in either concentration or actual chemical constituents is the cause of both of the responses to different wavelengths of UV.

The second example consists of two specimens of ruby in fuchsite, a Cr-bearing muscovite mica. The location was only given as Brazil and KT has been unsuccessful in pinning down any closer location data. The eBay dealer was of no help, as he stated that in a bulk buy of minerals from a Pakistani dealer, he got this material and was told it was from Brazil. KT did spend a bit of time looking around on Mindat.org and did find pictures of fuchsite that look similar from Africa, but no association of ruby with fuchsite in Brazil! Who knows??? Anyway the fifth picture was takien in natural light, and the 6th in LW 365nm. No response in SW as noted.

Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• Fluorapatite Bakahshan Afghanistan, FOV=1 in., natural light, looking down on C axis.JPG
    Fluorapatite Bakahshan Afghanistan, FOV=1 in., natural light, looking down on C axis.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 75
  • Fluorapatite Bakahshan Afghanistan, FOV=1 in., natural light, C axis N-S.JPG
    Fluorapatite Bakahshan Afghanistan, FOV=1 in., natural light, C axis N-S.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Fluorapatite Bakahshan Afghanistan, FOV=1 in., looking down on C axis, zoned in SW 254nm.JPG
    Fluorapatite Bakahshan Afghanistan, FOV=1 in., looking down on C axis, zoned in SW 254nm.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Fluorapatite Bakahshan Afghanistan, FOV=1 in., looking down on C axis, zoned in LW 365nm.JPG
    Fluorapatite Bakahshan Afghanistan, FOV=1 in., looking down on C axis, zoned in LW 365nm.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Ruby in Fuchsite, Brazil, FOV = 2.5 in., natural light.jpg
    Ruby in Fuchsite, Brazil, FOV = 2.5 in., natural light.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Ruby in Fuchsite, Brazil, FOV = 2.5 in., LW 365nm.jpg
    Ruby in Fuchsite, Brazil, FOV = 2.5 in., LW 365nm.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 79
A couple of more goodies!

For your viewing pleasure, KT has a picture of 2 ruby in fuchsite miniatures and 4 nice bright fluorescing t/ns! Eventually His Majesty will mount those T/Ns separately but for now they are just going in the same box. Of the small specimens, KT got a bag of 27 small specimens and high graded these 4 from that batch. The rest will be traded or given away. Anyway, these are poorly located, the only thing the dealer knew is that the dealer he bought them from said they are from Brazil.

Next we go from the ridiculous considering location, to a specimen of Powellite with piedmontite (NF) and quartz (NF), from Ultevis, Jokkmark, Norrbotten County, Sweden. Sounds like the location is pinned down pretty well, doesn't it? But when one looks it up on Mindat.org, there are 7 separate locations along a NE trend that have that general location. And no specific site data on the seven different sites! Oh, well. Certainly better than a label reading...Powellite, Sweden! HA HA

So the first two pictures are of ruby in fuchsite, the first in natural light and the second in LW 365nm.

The second two pictures are of Powellite in quartz and piedmontite matrix, the first in natural light and the second in SW 254nm. Note the color match is pretty good to some of the pictures on Fluomin.org, a yellowish white. This is one of the most notable occurrences of powellite in the Scandinavian region (those seven spots anyway!) HA HA

Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• Ruby in Fuchsite, Brazil, FOV =2.5 inchs, natural light.jpg
    Ruby in Fuchsite, Brazil, FOV =2.5 inchs, natural light.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 78
  • Ruby in Fuchsite, Brazil, FOV =2.5 inchs, LW 365nm.JPG
    Ruby in Fuchsite, Brazil, FOV =2.5 inchs, LW 365nm.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Powellite, Ultevis, Jokkmark, Norrbotten Co., Sweden, FOV= 1.75 in., natural light.JPG
    Powellite, Ultevis, Jokkmark, Norrbotten Co., Sweden, FOV= 1.75 in., natural light.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 79
  • Powellite, Ultevis, Jokkmark, Norrbotten Co., Sweden, FOV= 1.75 in., SW 254nm.JPG
    Powellite, Ultevis, Jokkmark, Norrbotten Co., Sweden, FOV= 1.75 in., SW 254nm.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 75
A new arrival at the Castle today!

Another specimen from the famous Sterling Hill Mine, Ogdensburg, New Jersey collecting site.

This one is wollastonite and is a larger specimen. KT decided to place a Rosie on the specimen for the natural light picture, just so the viewer could get a better idea of the specimen picture and grain size of the sample.

The first picture is in natural light. The second picture was taken of the samples response to SW 254nm light and the third of the samples response to LW 365nm light. His Majesty apologizes for the fl. blue house dust showing in the 3rd picture and many tiny blue specks! These are not visible in the two previous images! HA HA

Anyway, the rock consists of wollastonite, diopside, pyrite, and calcite, the last 3 of which are not fluorescent. The rock is pretty much equigranular in texture, meaning the grains of all the minerals are about the same size.

Sorry, not Christmas colors, but these specimens are not necessarily seasonal! :laughing: Hope you enjoy the images!

Attachments

• Wollastonite, Sterling Hill Mine, Ogdensburg, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV= 4.5 in., natural light.jpg
    Wollastonite, Sterling Hill Mine, Ogdensburg, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV= 4.5 in., natural light.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Wollastonite, Sterling Hill Mine, Ogdensburg, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV= 4.5 in., SW 254nm.jpg
    Wollastonite, Sterling Hill Mine, Ogdensburg, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV= 4.5 in., SW 254nm.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Wollastonite, Sterling Hill Mine, Ogdensburg, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV= 4.5 in., LW 365nm.jpg
    Wollastonite, Sterling Hill Mine, Ogdensburg, Sussex Co., NJ, FOV= 4.5 in., LW 365nm.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 75
Another wollastonite from the Sterling Hill Mine in NJ.....

but this one is from a well known local fluorescent mineral collector who passed in 2016, Gerry McLoughlin #333.

KT is happy to get this specimen from another collector's collection, passing it on down the line to interested parties from the original collector!

The first picture is in natural light, with a 1950 Rosie on the specimen for size comparison, the second image was taken with filtered LW 365nm light and is a bit too intense in color due to the use of a yellow filter to remove the blue cleavage reflections. The third picture was taken with SW 254nm light and is as the Royal Eye sees it! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Anyway, enjoy the photos and KT had fun researching the original collector!

Attachments

• Wollastonite  Franklin, NJ FOV=2.25 in, SW 254nm.JPG
    Wollastonite Franklin, NJ FOV=2.25 in, SW 254nm.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Wollastonite  Franklin, NJ FOV=2.25 in, filtered LW 365nm.JPG
    Wollastonite Franklin, NJ FOV=2.25 in, filtered LW 365nm.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Wollastonite  Franklin, NJ FOV=2.25 in, natural light.JPG
    Wollastonite Franklin, NJ FOV=2.25 in, natural light.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 66
two more fluorescent minerals that came to the Castle today!

Well, KT has two more to show you. The last couple of posts His Majesty has posted some photos of wollastonite from Franklin, NJ, but the first mineral today is wollastonite from Yuma County, Arizona and it has a different fluorescence....not pale yellow, but blue white in SW 254nm light. So the first pic is in natural light and the second is in 254nm! This piece measures about 2.75" across.

The second mineral is a benitoite crystal from the type locality....Dallas Gem Mine, Benito County, California. Kinda ugly at 10 X under the microscope in natural light, but my does it light up with SW 254nm light ! KT had been trying to purchase a specimen of this mineral for over a year, and finally a seller thought this was ugly, and apparently other buyers thought so too, but not KT, as His Majesty saw its potential. It only measures 3/8th inch across but has decent crystal form. Anyway KT is happy to add it to the Royal Collection!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Wollastonite, Yuma Co., AZ, FOV=1.5 in, natural light .JPG
    Wollastonite, Yuma Co., AZ, FOV=1.5 in, natural light .JPG
    126 KB · Views: 63
  • Wollastonite, Yuma Co., AZ, FOV=1.5 in, SW 254nm.JPG
    Wollastonite, Yuma Co., AZ, FOV=1.5 in, SW 254nm.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Benitoite, Dallas Gem Mine, San Benito Co., California, FOV=0.40 in., natural light.jpg
    Benitoite, Dallas Gem Mine, San Benito Co., California, FOV=0.40 in., natural light.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Benitoite, Dallas Gem Mine, San Benito Co., California, FOV=0.40 in., SW 254nm.jpg
    Benitoite, Dallas Gem Mine, San Benito Co., California, FOV=0.40 in., SW 254nm.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 68
Here is a nice quartz geode!

This came in yesterday, but KT did not want to overwhelm his viewers with too many pictures in a post so His Majesty decided to post it a day later, which is today! :laughing::laughing:

This nice drusy quartz-lined geode is from Trancas, Chihuahua State, Mexico. The first picture shows it in natural light and it is ~3.5 inches across. The 2nd picture shows its response in LW 365nm light, and the 3rd picture shows the SW 254nm response. KT likes that it displays different colors in long and short way UV!

This location is a classic site for geodes originating from Mexico, both fluorescent and not fluorescent.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Quartz geode, Trancas, Chihuahua State, Mexico, FOV=3.5 in., SW 254nm.JPG
    Quartz geode, Trancas, Chihuahua State, Mexico, FOV=3.5 in., SW 254nm.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Quartz geode, Trancas, Chihuahua State, Mexico, FOV=3.5 in., LW 365nm.JPG
    Quartz geode, Trancas, Chihuahua State, Mexico, FOV=3.5 in., LW 365nm.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Quartz geode, Trancas, Chihuahua State, Mexico, FOV=3.5 in., natural light.JPG
    Quartz geode, Trancas, Chihuahua State, Mexico, FOV=3.5 in., natural light.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 69
Arrival today from Pakistan eBay seller.....

Rubies!! :wow: Well, not gem rubies, but ruby crystals nonetheless. These stones have a distinctive purple cast to them. Today KT received a packet of ruby crystals from Pakistan. These stones were described as 95.3 cts. of "silky" rubies. The pictures they had posted on eBay showed classic zoning and reflections from right angles to the C axis as giving what they called silky luster. This is a classic reflection of what rough star rubies and star sapphires look like, but His Majesty is not going to put a drop of oil on the termination to see if I get a domed star effect! HA HA

Anyway, the location is..... Africa. That is too broad for His Majesty, so some Internet research on Wikipedia, Mindat.org and other sites yielded some gleanings. From the entire continent, KT trimmed the many possibilities down to 3 possible locations: the Dodoma Region of central Tanzania or the Monogoro Region of Eastern Tanzania, or finally, the Montepeuz Mine of northern most Mozambique. But KT only put Africa on the photo labels as that is all the dealer gave. The Montepeuz mine is interesting for there is a nice article on the GIA website on their visit there while it was being explored, before commercial production began early in the 21st century. Most people do not realize that most of the world gem ruby production is from that one locality presently, according to the GIA.

Anyway, the first two pictures are of the total batch of crystals in natural light, and the 2nd picture are what they look like in response to LW 365nm.

KT then picked out 3 crystals to photograph under the microscope at 10X. The first crystal is nicely zoned and weighs 9 carats. The zoning is obvious also in the 2nd picture taken with LW 365nm light from the side, as all We got was blue reflections by taking it from above. The next set of images is of an 8.5 carat ruby in natural light, that shows no zoning, but does have that silky reflection in natural light. In LW 365nm it shows no zoning (its second photo also at 10X). Finally the last pair of images is of a 7.2 carat nicely zoned ruby crystal in natural light at 10X. It also displays zoning in LW 365nm light.

KT has another batch of rubies ordered that do not show zoning from what He could see of the seller's images. We shall see!

Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• Rubies, 95.3 carats, Africa, FOV=2.0 in, natural light.JPG
    Rubies, 95.3 carats, Africa, FOV=2.0 in, natural light.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Rubies, 95.3 carats, Africa, FOV=2.0 in, unfiltered LW 365nm.JPG
    Rubies, 95.3 carats, Africa, FOV=2.0 in, unfiltered LW 365nm.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Ruby, Africa, 9.0 ct., LW 365nm.jpg
    Ruby, Africa, 9.0 ct., LW 365nm.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Ruby, zoned, Africa, 9.0 ct., natural light.jpg
    Ruby, zoned, Africa, 9.0 ct., natural light.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Ruby, Africa, 8.5 ct., natural light.JPG
    Ruby, Africa, 8.5 ct., natural light.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 61
  • Ruby, Africa, 8.5 ct., LW 365nm.jpg
    Ruby, Africa, 8.5 ct., LW 365nm.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Ruby, zoned, Africa, 7.2 ct., natural light.JPG
    Ruby, zoned, Africa, 7.2 ct., natural light.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Ruby, zoned, Africa, 7.2 ct., LW 365nm.jpg
    Ruby, zoned, Africa, 7.2 ct., LW 365nm.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 59
KT went to a Rock and Mineral Show!

It went off without a hitch, left the Castle at 8:45 am and arrived at 11:15 am...rained the entire way, but stopped up there when we arrived! The show as hosted by the Mountain Home Club of Baxter County, Arkansas.

Here are the first 3 of several goodies His Majesty purchased:

Fossil Bison tooth, Pleistocene, East Nebraska - from the size and lack of wear KT assumes it was an immature calf. First picture shows it in natural light, second in LW 365nm. It looks like the original enamel, which is hyroxlapatite for those interested in the mineralogy. And yes, our teeth fluoresce this same shade!

Next is a Button Stromatolite from the Anti-Atlas Mountains, Morocco. It measures about 1.25" across. Natural light color is due to iron oxide staining. Second picture is in LW 365nm. The blue green algae was cemented by carbonate, likely calcite. So the orange fluorescence is due to the presence of fine-grained calcite cement.

Finally, a specimen of light tan transparent fluorite perched on celestine crystals, from the well known White Rock Quarry, Clay Center, Ottawa County, Ohio. The first picture shows the 3/8th" fluorite, light tan cube. The second picture is in LW 365nm. When viewed with the naked eye, one can see that the center of the fluorite phantom fluoresces bright white and the rest of the crystal is colorless, but the image on the picture is wiped out due to the brilliance of the white core, to the point you cannot even tell there is a fluorescent core!

Anyway, this is a start of the goodies KT got at that show. More to come later this week! Enjoy!

Attachments

• Stromatolite, Anti-Atlas Mtns, Morocco, FOV=1.40 in., LW 365nm .JPG
    Stromatolite, Anti-Atlas Mtns, Morocco, FOV=1.40 in., LW 365nm .JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Stromatolite, Anti-Atlas Mtns, Morocco, FOV=1.75 in., natural light.JPG
    Stromatolite, Anti-Atlas Mtns, Morocco, FOV=1.75 in., natural light.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Bison tooth, Pleistocene, East Nebraska, USA, FOV= 1.0 in., LW 365nm.JPG
    Bison tooth, Pleistocene, East Nebraska, USA, FOV= 1.0 in., LW 365nm.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 62
  • Bison tooth, Pleistocene, East Nebraska, USA, FOV= 1.0 in., natural light.JPG
    Bison tooth, Pleistocene, East Nebraska, USA, FOV= 1.0 in., natural light.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Fluorite on celestine, White Rock Quarry, Clay Center, Ohio, FOV=2.5 in., LW 365nm.JPG
    Fluorite on celestine, White Rock Quarry, Clay Center, Ohio, FOV=2.5 in., LW 365nm.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Fluorite on celestine, White Rock Quarry, Clay Center, Ohio, FOV=2.5 in., natural light.JPG
    Fluorite on celestine, White Rock Quarry, Clay Center, Ohio, FOV=2.5 in., natural light.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 63
More goodies from the Mountain Home, AR, show!

Here are a few more interesting fluorescent pieces KT picked up at this Local Rock and Mineral Show this weekend!

The first pair of pictures show a brachiopod, a type of sea shell in first natural light and then LW 365nm light. KT suspects the orange fluorescence is due to secondary deposition of calcite after the shell's deposition in lime mud. This specimen is from Speed, Silver Creek Twsp., Clark County, Indiana. It measures right at 1" across.

The next pair of pictures show a set of Oredont teeth - more specifically Merycoidodon Culbertsoni from the Oligocene of the South Dakota Badlands, USA. Oreodonts were herbivores and roamed the plains much like more modern Bisons did. These jaw bone sections are pretty common, but KT doubts that people know that the enamel on the teeth fluoresces orange in LW 365nm.

The final pair of pictures show a crust of brownish fluorite with tiny pyrite on calcite in both natural light and LW 365nm light. The fluorite displays as a crust of white fluorescent crystals in the second picture, whereas both the pyrite and the calcite are non-fluorescent. This specimen is from Indiana.

More additions to the Royal Collection! :D:D

Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• Brachiopod, Speed, Silver Creek Twsp., Clark Co., Indiana, FOV=1.5 in., natural light.JPG
    Brachiopod, Speed, Silver Creek Twsp., Clark Co., Indiana, FOV=1.5 in., natural light.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Brachiopod, Speed, Silver Creek Twsp., Clark Co., Indiana, FOV=1.5 in., LW 365nm.JPG
    Brachiopod, Speed, Silver Creek Twsp., Clark Co., Indiana, FOV=1.5 in., LW 365nm.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Oreodont teeth - Merycoidodon culbertsoni, Oligocene, S. Dakota Badlands, USA, FOV=3 in., natura.JPG
    Oreodont teeth - Merycoidodon culbertsoni, Oligocene, S. Dakota Badlands, USA, FOV=3 in., natura.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Oreodont teeth - Merycoidodon culbertsoni, Oligocene, S. Dakota Badlands, USA, FOV=2.5 in., LW 3.JPG
    Oreodont teeth - Merycoidodon culbertsoni, Oligocene, S. Dakota Badlands, USA, FOV=2.5 in., LW 3.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Fluorite, tan with pyrite on calcite, Indiana, FOV=3.5 in., LW 365nm.jpg
    Fluorite, tan with pyrite on calcite, Indiana, FOV=3.5 in., LW 365nm.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Fluorite, tan with pyrite on calcite, Indiana, FOV=3.5 in., natural light.jpg
    Fluorite, tan with pyrite on calcite, Indiana, FOV=3.5 in., natural light.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 57
Last of the goodies from the Show last weekend!

KT spent most of his Royal Time at the Show, looking at minerals with the LW 365nm lamp, but there were several jewelry dealers there too, including those having loose cut natural and synthetic stones. One dealer in particular had very inexpensive faceted stones. Some of these synthetic stones are very attractive, like the yellow and blue Cubic Zirconia in the photograph. The larger red stone they did not know what it was, but to KT it appeared to be a composite from its translucent but internally granular appearance. All three of these attracted KT's Royal Attention, just because they fluoresce nicely and in different colors! In a couple of the pictures, there is a rosie dime for size comparison.

The first picture KT used a white background so you can see the actual color of the stones, the second is on a black background, and the third is the view on the black background as they respond to LW 365nm light. No picture was taken of them fluorescing on a white background as that white paper fluoresces a very brilliant blue white!

Anyway, these will go into KT's Treasure Chest portion of the Royal Fluorescent Collection! :laughing::laughing:

Enjoy the gemstones!

Attachments

• Synthetic faceted stones, FOV= 2 in, natural light, white base.JPG
    Synthetic faceted stones, FOV= 2 in, natural light, white base.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 56
  • Synthetic faceted stones, FOV= 2 in, natural light, black base.JPG
    Synthetic faceted stones, FOV= 2 in, natural light, black base.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Synthetic faceted stones, FOV= 2 in, LW 365nm, black base.JPG
    Synthetic faceted stones, FOV= 2 in, LW 365nm, black base.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 61
Back