Cops! Karens! And curb strips.

I know some of you will get your hair on fire, but I've got to say it anyway, and I think there a lot of people here who would agree. I would never hunt a curb strip without asking, even before knowing what I'm about to post. I talked with my real estate attorney last week and asked him about ownership of curb strips. The basic answer is that curb strips are owned by the property owner, the city merely owns a right of way through the curb strip which allows them to install sidewalks and utilities. The home owner still owns the curb strip and is required to maintain it. How would any of you like someone digging in your yard without asking? I have a feeling most of us might feel a little Karenish if that happened, and justifiably so. FYI, I hate that term Karen, just more division in our country. It's time we started sowing more courtesy and grace and less division. JMO

And I have had more positive interactions then negative. More often then not they let me do the yard when they see how clean I am and leave no trace.

It depends from area to area. And I will continue hitting them either way. If the homeowner is outside I do ask. And I have asked each city I have been in and gotten the green light. Just not allowed on there side of strip. The main reason people choose to not detect them is they want no confrontation. The less others detect them more for me. I will being doing two different towns this weekend. As for the Karen division statement there’s a lot more going on then referring to a segment of angry people by a first name. Your entitled to your opinion though that is what are vets died for amongst many other things. I have noticed that the majority of the ones that get pissed are on a certain side of the political spectrum FYI.

this is true! in many cities and towns, they are owned by the cities and towns, and you can hunt them as much as you want, nutty "Karens" aside. sometimes home owners "will" maintain them,so you just move on without hunting those "out of respect" for their individual efforts..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The historic district is now mostly concrete and Law firms and women’s boutiques.

Wichita is the same way. I think that the oldest parts of town are all covered in concrete, even the alleys. Years ago they did some work on the main street in town and detectors came out of the wood work. This was before I started detecting, They said a number of gold coins were found.

Went out this weekend and did some parks. Got a buff and two more toy guns. A junk bracelet and necklace. I will post some pics in this thread tomorrow

So the weekend hunt was up in the cascade mountains in some old boom towns that have some potential, however I did not find anything of significant importance. The day's total included about 3 dollars in clad and the above said items including a bouncy ball lol. The reason I posted it in this thread was the day didn’t warrant a post of its own in my opinion cause no significant old coins or remotely old relics were recovered. However I got my 2nd buff ever. Not only a buff but like 5 other nickels as well. The one thing I gathered from this weekend is I finally dug mid tones that repeated for the first time in lil towns or curb strips. I have in old homesites dug everything to remove anything masking other objects and to make the overall process easier long term. In the last 6 months I have shifted to straight coin shooting which has changed my overall approach to detecting.

So I have once again decided to go back to any repeatable tone at any dig except curb strips. While doing the strips I want to go as fast as possible to cover as much ground as possible between 6 and 9am. The reason being is after 9 not only is it hotter but you have the “people” as I will refer to the Karen’s now as it offended some like chillforlife. I respect everyone’s opinion though so the “people” can kiss my rear. This weekend will hunt strips, parks and a old school site that now is a field/private spot.

Back to the uneventful Sunday hunt. I was happy I got two more toy guns to make it three within a 3 day window and none prior.

We started in a small 1890’s town by the worst avalanche/train wreck (fatality wise) in the whole United States.

DB56DD0F-DB4D-4411-8E27-FC3C9282C8C4.jpeg
3A84F538-891F-4815-A272-2CB90BAE6832.jpeg
F18915CD-BA3F-4059-A155-9CC8569729B8.jpeg

I may go back at some point and try and seek permission to the hotel that is in the upper part of first picture. No we didn’t hunt the wreck site as that town is gone but this is the closest one. The total death toll from this tragedy was 96 people. Here is a link for a quick synopsis of the event. There are much more detailed written accounts online https://www.cascadeloop.com/wellington-train-disaster

Last edited:
Here is what I had in the pouch minus a ton of little trash I tossed. We hit 3 towns in total mostly schools and parks unfortunately.
26D59595-0CDD-4BDE-8127-159B2C124441.jpeg
Crazy I found the grip of one cap gun in one town and the barrel and hammer area in another town.

And here is the buff.
26AFE278-8D63-4BEB-A416-99221E062B2E.jpeg
CF78184F-C038-4594-9919-D5D7AECFBD80.jpeg

Happy hunting all and next weekend I have very high hopes for at least one of the spots.

Nice finds PNW! I've been up along Hwy 2 - hope you get some more nice finds!

Oh... here in Montana the streets, sidewalks and curb strips are PUBLIC property, and are not owned by the adjacent homeowner. I still check in with the homeowner if they are home, out of courtesy, and to also ask if I can detect their front yard.

Nice finds PNW! I've been up along Hwy 2 - hope you get some more nice finds!

Oh... here in Montana the streets, sidewalks and curb strips are PUBLIC property, and are not owned by the adjacent homeowner. I still check in with the homeowner if they are home, out of courtesy, and to also ask if I can detect their front yard.

I went to a local police department today and got permission to a local towns curb strips. So asking police ahead of time for me in this spot worked out. Another guy I know that detects thought it was a bad thing for me to do it. Out of respect for the law enforcement that is highly disrespected right now I thought reaching out was a great idea. He also took my info and said if someone needs help locating anything he would give me a jingle. Also gave me his cell number in case I have any issues or questions. This may be an approach I try elsewhere. I will be starting that town next weekend hopefully.

The officer also said that any homeowner that is even remotely aware of laws should know it’s public right of way. He said also that if anyone hassles me it’s best to let them know I will be moving along and if they have any questions to call there non emergency line or even 911 and an operator will inform them of the law.

So no matter what anybody thinks about curb strips or my approach to detect it they can post there opinion but it isn’t changing my goal of plundering every damn curb strip in northwest Washington by end of 2022.

good luck! I would do the same! been hunting them for a long time.
found my share! it's all good! I'm just sayin'

good luck! I would do the same! been hunting them for a long time.
found my share! it's all good! I'm just sayin'

Next weekend if no one wants to go with me (total of 3 guys I know) or my daughter. I will be hitting the strips. Today was interesting. No curb strips but I intend to keep this thread open just for that area of hunting. The detecting with Dan thread to come.

I find it best to leave , don't care if I'm in the right.
Not worth the grief, I want to remember the finds not the conflicts
I know it sucks

Back
Top Bottom