• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Safety

I detect alone...in some very shady parts ... sometimes that is where the old stuff is.. don't be afraid... yes I carry, I would NOT have a problem if I had to draw my weapon. #1... if you are going to carry any type of weapon, be very good with it, train with it, and run every scenario through your head that you can...could I shoot someone? hell yeh if my life was being threatened... and I would not shoot him in the leg, just sayin'.
this whole thread is a loaded question. I love to MD with other people, that sometimes is not in the cards, are you going to not go out to that park because there is people sleeping in the pavilions? I walk among the homeless in my area, I know quite a few by name... because your homeless does not make you a threat... unless you trespass onto their territory... which you apologize and back out... no harm no foul. I have been MDing for more than a few years and I think the next gen needs to cowboy up !

P.S. Wolf dog, maybe I'll consider the POM spray. Seems nice. :D
It is nice to have. I'm not sure about California, but in Minnesota, you have to be at least 16 years old to carry pepper spray (aka "OC Spray"). Or if you're under 16, you must also carry a signed permission paper/card (doesn't have to be anything fancy) by your legal parent or guardian, so be sure to look into your state's age regulations. Also, while pepper spray & OC spray are different names for the same thing, tear gas is not the same, so make sure you look at the correct info when researching. :good: :research:

It is nice to have. I'm not sure about California, but in Minnesota, you have to be at least 16 years old to carry pepper spray (aka "OC Spray"). Or if you're under 16, you must also carry a signed permission paper/card (doesn't have to be anything fancy) by your legal parent or guardian, so be sure to look into your state's age regulations. Also, while pepper spray & OC spray are different names for the same thing, tear gas is not the same, so make sure you look at the correct info when researching. :good: :research:

The closest thing to an attack for me is a kid coming up and saying "You'll only find bottle caps here, you man!" Boy, some pepper spray would be handy at that time. :lol:

I'll do my research. :D

Josh

The closest thing to an attack for me is a kid coming up and saying "You'll only find bottle caps here, you man!" Boy, some pepper spray would be handy at that time. :lol:

I'll do my research. :D

Josh
:lol: Also, misuse of it (threatening with it or using it for any reason other than life was in danger) can result in a misdemeanor or felony charge with a possible sentence of up to 3 years in prison, up to $1,000 in fines, or both.

I'm a big imposing guy and have never had issues where I felt unsafe. That said, mace is the best suggestion I have seen in the thread.

I'm not willing to take a life for my detection equipment. Despite the issues the person is having, they are a son, daughter, brother, or father to someone. I am not saying defending yourself isn't a right, this is my choice.

The costs of shooting a concealed weapon are typically greater than 50k. You will be in court, you will face charges except in RARE cases. Better to mace and run than shoot and pay the price.

I am a conceal carry permit holder, however I would only use it to defend life, not possessions.

I'm a big imposing guy and have never had issues where I felt unsafe. That said, mace is the best suggestion I have seen in the thread.

I'm not willing to take a life for my detection equipment. Despite the issues the person is having, they are a son, daughter, brother, or father to someone. I am not saying defending yourself isn't a right, this is my choice.

The costs of shooting a concealed weapon are typically greater than 50k. You will be in court, you will face charges except in RARE cases. Better to mace and run than shoot and pay the price.

I am a conceal carry permit holder, however I would only use it to defend life, not possessions.

Well said. I see the point in guns, but are going to shoot it is my question.

Josh

How many people metal detect alone? I'm pretty observant of my surroundings and avoid unsavory situations. However, if you don't have a detecting buddy does anybody carry a concealed weapon? I realize some states don't allow this option. In those cases, what does everyone do? Everyone's opinions encouraged.

I do CC almost all the time everywhere its legally allowed. That said, it still doesnt make.me feel "safe" from the legal issues if I had to use it with no witnesses in some lonely place. If I was hunting a permission I might (might) choose to lock it in the car. There's alot to consider.

The last thing I thought of was someone wanting my detection equipment. I was thinking more along the lines of hiding fugitives (YES, we have had them in our neck of the woods more than once after they committed crimes closer to the city). Also, walking up on rural drug deals or "drops" is a possibility, maybe walking up on a rape in progress where the suspect is armed. Maybe walking up on someone disposing of a body. I almost literally stepped on a skeleton in the woods once while surveying. Turned out it wasn't homicide. But many bodies found in lonely places ARE homicides, my point being if you are witness to someone dumping one, 99% they're armed and will draw on you with more abandon than you will on them. If you spend a lot of time poking around in such places you will more likely stumble on something worse than just someone just interested in stealing your metal detector while you're using it. Anybody who tried that with me ( them unarmed) would get a fight, believe me. Don't care who you are. DON'T steal from me. If they were armed and tried that, then I'd shoot....because who knows what they'd do next. You can't trust that's really all they were after or would do.

Now, in the cases when my wife and I travel to Peru and I bring my detector?...that's a different story. Some people are hard-up down there. My wife has told me stories about seemingly innocent children quietly putting straight razors to people's throats and demanding money. Her family has also warned me not to goa round with a camera openly in the street. Criminals there, even though most of them are smaller than me, often work together and plan their hits with precision. And if I beat the snot out of them, I could STILL get in trouble even IF I was being robbed. So in Peru I have never used my detector far away from "nice" places.

If I had a hobby where I was forced to carry a concealed weapon for protection (or even peace of mind), I'd pick a different hobby or a different place to enjoy my hobby.

So to answer your question OP, I avoid dodgy situations or places. That's not to say there isn't a risk, but it's no greater than running an errand or otherwise living my normal life (which doesn't require me to carry a weapon or other sort of protection).

As a Brit, I don't have the option of carrying a firearm or even pepper spray, but regardless, my thoughts are exactly the same as yours..

Personally I don't see the attraction of hunting curb strips, parks or tot lots for change or modern (post 1800,) coins, and even less so in any dodgy areas. I detect to relax and love being out in the countryside so having to worry about the local two legged ferals in some grotty park would definately ruin it for me...

That said, if I lived in the States, I would carry pepper spray as a minimum, plus would probably carry concealed if I could as I am a shooting man anyway and former Army Reservist..But if I did concealed, I would also look at the availability and costs of legal insurance as the cost of defending yourself in court could be huge...

As a Brit, I don't have the option of carrying a firearm or even pepper spray, but regardless, my thoughts are exactly the same as yours..

Personally I don't see the attraction of hunting curb strips, parks or tot lots for change or modern (post 1800,) coins, and even less so in any dodgy areas. I detect to relax and love being out in the countryside so having to worry about the local two legged ferals in some grotty park would definately ruin it for me...

That said, if I lived in the States, I would carry pepper spray as a minimum, plus would probably carry concealed if I could as I am a shooting man anyway and former Army Reservist..But if I did concealed, I would also look at the availability and costs of legal insurance as the cost of defending yourself in court could be huge...

I'm happy to see a Brit who appears to be somewhat pro-gun. Seems alot of Brits blindly follow the steadfast anti-gun posture of their government. Its probably not something we'll see anytime soon, but it would be nice if somehow Brits would start laying pressure on politicians to recognize their rights. To look at it not as a privilege, but actually as a right that is in fact being repressed. It's not just guns. I was quite taken aback when I read (here in this forum) about a British guy who was "sentenced" to have his detector destroyed because he failed to report some finds to the government. It seems people there are practically regarded as sheep (unless they are in an eschelon where they can "buy" rights.) Its very disturbing that many people seem to happily fall right
Into that mold and have no problem with it. We have our own brand of Americans who are ok with government control over all facets of life too. That's how we still have the abomination in our education system known as Common Core. The education system is where malignant liberalism creeps into society, and where the "Karens" of the world become empowered. Its why I often stay away from schools when detecting, as temping snd as potetially lucrative as they may seem. I'd rather risk rabid dogs and dangerous fugitives in the woods, I guess. LoL!

I'm happy to see a Brit who appears to be somewhat pro-gun. Seems alot of Brits blindly follow the steadfast anti-gun posture of their government. Its probably not something we'll see anytime soon, but it would be nice if somehow Brits would start laying pressure on politicians to recognize their rights. To look at it not as a privilege, but actually as a right that is in fact being repressed. It's not just guns. I was quite taken aback when I read (here in this forum) about a British guy who was "sentenced" to have his detector destroyed because he failed to report some finds to the government. It seems people there are practically regarded as sheep (unless they are in an eschelon where they can "buy" rights.) Its very disturbing that many people seem to happily fall right
Into that mold and have no problem with it. We have our own brand of Americans who are ok with government control over all facets of life too. That's how we still have the abomination in our education system known as Common Core. The education system is where malignant liberalism creeps into society, and where the "Karens" of the world become empowered. Its why I often stay away from schools when detecting, as temping snd as potetially lucrative as they may seem. I'd rather risk rabid dogs and dangerous fugitives in the woods, I guess. LoL!

Although we speak a similar language, American and British culture and perspectives on different things are often miles apart...This is hardly surprising considering how different our histories are...This is not to say I see one as better than the other, just different.

I can't ever see the wide spread legalisation of firearms for self defence in public being allowed here in the UK as there is no widespread public support for it. Outside of certain large cities, gun crime is still a rarity over here although it is getting worse. Knife crime is a far more of common type of crime...

To put it in perspective, I am in my mid 50's and I have never been subject to a gun crime nor do I personally know anybody who has...On the other hand, I have heard of a couple of people being threatened with knives over the years and had an acquaintance who was stabbed to death while working on a door.

When I'm was younger, I carried a firearm while on duty with the Army Reserves. This was the time of the do called Troubles and we were authorised to use deadly force in response to any terrorist attack. In a personal capacity I also while holidaying in RSA. I still own and use firearms for hunting and sport, so yeah I consider myself pro gun and anti crime...

H68, First this subject has been topic of many a thread and a vast number of different opinions, all with valid views and what works for them. We are fortunate to live in a state that permits us to conceal a weapon on our person and I say if you feel safer with a weapon then by all means, particularly if you hunt in blighted areas. I carry one as a last resort and also have pepper spray on my belt which would be my first option. I hunt some city parks and have been approached on more than one occasion and I find looking them in the eye with firm direct answer sends a signal if they are looking for a victim there is probably an easier one somewhere else. There are a million pro's & cons but in the end do what your gut tells you, if you find yourself in an area where you think, jeez I wished I had my carry, then you probably should have brought it along. Good luck, and good hunting. Mark

i refuse to be intimidated in my own country. been around the block a few times. i cc. i have been in situations in 28 yrs law enforcement that turned nasty. enough said.

if you cant shoot someone then dont carry. simple. if you feel its unsafe, dont go there.

life is full of and all about choices. choose wisely from your perspective.

actions in life has consequences. todays atmosphere is much different than yesteryears. even a partner can make things worse..had a couple those i dont hunt with anymore and never would again. in fact threw their number away. (none are on here).

keep life simple . use common sense. that coveted $10 gold piece you probably wont find in that bad place, long odds unless you are Tom in California lolololol... will not pay for your funeral or settle a lawsuit either.

common sense. use it..

Every few months I have my 4 Lesches professionally sharpened. Helps cut through roots but if need human flesh too. I also have a 7” serrated Spiderco knife in my hip pocket.

And instead of pepper spray get a can of hornet/wasp spray. For $2.99 it will shoot 20’ with about 7-8 good sprays. Hit them in the face and they won’t bother you.

Might consider taking a dog along can be a good hunting buddy ,and alert you to problems and if big enough some extra protection.

Yeah, taking a dog along is also a good idea. As long as, it's not a poodle or chihuahua :laughing:

Hay my dog Snuggle would take direct offence to that he is half chihuahua and half min-pincher and doesn't know he is a dog. But he is a good hunting partner and great company. Snuggle has made several appearances in GKL's post with funny photos http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=258582&page=193

......and if it is too hot out to safely take his dog along on any particular hunt he could always use some detecting buddy puppets to help it look like he has protection in numbers :laughing:
Daves_puppet_detecting_buddies.jpg

Back
Top Bottom