Cops! Karens! And curb strips.

Do you use a head lamp? That might attract even more weirdos!

OKAY just to play DEVIL'S ADVOCATE, let me point out that a 70 year old woman (which isn't that so far away for me) MIGHT be uncomfortable with some guy hanging around her house. Maybe she's been robbed in the past- YOU know you aren't up to no good, but she might see it differently.
Sorry she went for calling the cops, but you just don't know.

Her main complaint was the destruction of property. Either way she was very tactless, if she just would of said something we would of moved on. Instead she called the cops. Which they found pointless. Obviously she wasn’t scared to approach us cause she was very rude and demanding. Either way she can get bent. I have contemplated going back just to spite her but she isn’t worth a lick of my time.

OKAY just to play DEVIL'S ADVOCATE, let me point out that a 70 year old woman (which isn't that so far away for me) MIGHT be uncomfortable with some guy hanging around her house. Maybe she's been robbed in the past- YOU know you aren't up to no good, but she might see it differently.

I understand fear if it was morning in broad daylight. She was just very noisy

No, I don't use any sort of lights, when detecting at night. For a couple of reasons :

1) If you use any sort of headlamp light, then the pupils of your eyes become focused on *just* that beam of light. And you become blind to everything else around you. So it's better just to pick full-moon nights, and lets your eyes become focused to the moonlight. That's enough to see bushes, trees, etc.... And then you have a tiny pen-light on a lanyard around your neck, to turn on as-needed, to see the dates on coins or whatever.

2) If you had a headlamp, it would only become a shining beacon to alert any passerby to you being there.

People are sleeping at 2am. And thus: No one to "call cops" etc....

Yeah first cop encounter detecting. Not first homeowner encounter. I am 40 but feel every bit like a kid compared to those that have approached me negatively!

This is the gods honest truth six months into me Metal Detecting in the historic District of my town there’s a place near the river call the landing where the ships from New Orleans used to bring oxen and liquor Georgetown. The historic district is now mostly concrete and Law firms and women’s boutiques. In the middle of one of the streets there was one patch of curb strip which look like it hasn’t been bothered in years pretty smooth for people just walking on it. While I was pretty green at the time and I wasn’t embarrassed enough to have to park two blocks away and walk there with my shovel, detector The whole 9 yards well anyway I got there metal detected the strip that was only about 6 feet long and got a deep signal. So I started digging up the hard dirt noticing there were feet that were passing me and I just didn’t look up LOL. Being in the middle of summer at that I was sweating And from my experience at that time I said it’s probably just an all big washer but I took my hand shovel and made one more dig and a black disc popped out it was solid black solid I’ll put it in my bag brought it home and cleaned it and this is what it was. 1827 8 Reales. So that’s my curb strip storyIn June I’ll be 53 and I’ve been Metal Detecting for the last six years and it’s just been the best I’ll be I’ve ever had and I don’t even fish anymore which I was obsessed with and my friends thought I was crazy when I would rather Metal Detecting than fish. They still think I’m crazy LOL
544530fadfa6e2d9df46eed2a1df7183.jpg

8cb0c6e13e6e4c766c2ee7202f970d02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I don't use any sort of lights, when detecting at night. For a couple of reasons :

1) If you use any sort of headlamp light, then the pupils of your eyes become focused on *just* that beam of light. And you become blind to everything else around you. So it's better just to pick full-moon nights, and lets your eyes become focused to the moonlight. That's enough to see bushes, trees, etc.... And then you have a tiny pen-light on a lanyard around your neck, to turn on as-needed, to see the dates on coins or whatever.

2) If you had a headlamp, it would only become a shining beacon to alert any passerby to you being there.

People are sleeping at 2am. And thus: No one to "call cops" etc....
Of course. Hubby has a headlamp he thinks is perfect for everything- it’s so blinding I can’t see anything. I’ve seen people using them to hunt shells at night in HI... it must be beautiful on the beach with the moonlight!

Her main complaint was the destruction of property. Either way she was very tactless, if she just would of said something we would of moved on. Instead she called the cops. Which they found pointless. Obviously she wasn’t scared to approach us cause she was very rude and demanding. Either way she can get bent. I have contemplated going back just to spite her but she isn’t worth a lick of my time.[/QUOTE

Ha! I was just trying to stand up for a possible frail-ish grandmother type- sounds like you encountered the Battle Axe!
:lol:

So went out Sunday for about 8 hrs. Had a few firsts. Found my first Washington tax tokens.
View attachment 484862

The guy I was hunting with had some non dug examples he gave me so you can see how they hold up pretty poorly.

Then shortly after I had my first cop encounter. He pulled up asked what we were doing. He said there was no problem, good luck and said some angry women called. Shortly after maybe 5 mins a lady in her 70’s came out and was pissed the cop let us go. She said her neighbor has a gun and not to detect her yard or she may use it. I explained we weren’t in no ones yard. She said I was not able to detect or dig there I had explained that the cop already confirmed we could. As she walked towards her fence I said to my hunting partner that evidently people are worse here then Bellingham. She turned and said well we watch out for our neighbors and I just said your obviously bored and maybe you need a hobby. She said a few choice words so we moved on. Later in the day a drunk older fellow got in my face in a different town so it was eventful in that department but not so much for silver coins except this one
View attachment 484863:laughing:

Ended up with 5 tokens including that game token and a Chuck E Cheese token that’s a record for me personally.

So in total I ended up with 8 wheat pennies but lost one in the car. Two hot wheels cars. A reflector and other trash. A tennis ball and 4.12 in change. Also think I found a mid 20th century button. Thanks for looking. Happy hunting to all

Cops! Karen's! And curb strips, love it. That's exactly what you get down here in Tacoma. I try to go very early to avoid the Karen's, most of the time it works. Cops have been called on me dozens of times too and they always wish me luck. Be polite and just walk away if you get harrased, go back another time when nobody is home if it's a particularly nice strip. It's worth it, found this and a bunch of other sweet finds in old WA curb strips.

Attachments

• user45648_pic79247_1543099330.jpg
    user45648_pic79247_1543099330.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 195

this is true! you really don't know! people are unpredictable, when they feel
threatened! whatever ya do, don't shoot 'em! if they become truly unruly, just move on to a strip farther enough away from them! ..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The old woman saw someone doing something she didn't understand and which apparently didn't make them miserable and she didn't want to live in a world where that kind of thing could happen.

Cops! Karen's! And curb strips, love it. That's exactly what you get down here in Tacoma. I try to go very early to avoid the Karen's, most of the time it works. Cops have been called on me dozens of times too and they always wish me luck. Be polite and just walk away if you get harrased, go back another time when nobody is home if it's a particularly nice strip. It's worth it, found this and a bunch of other sweet finds in old WA curb strips.

Wow that is sweet. Yeah I am as polite as possible. Just can’t believe how rude the other end of the discussion can be directed towards a couple guys basically removing trash for the most part. Would love to hit up that area sometime down there. Grew up in Belfair area.

exactly, act as if you own that place casper! Just do what you do! I have found that wearing a camera on my head actually seems to keep everybody away. Odd? It seems to work! Also, i find that the more i am at a place, the less attention i draw...until it’s almost as though i were a ghost. People don’t pay any attention to me whatsoever.

download.jpg

Ive hunted curbstrips, but I like to let the property owner know Im out there, and what Im doing. If they say NO!, I move on. In many cases the yes has led to a whole yard hunt. I dont think a lot of people realize that they are easements and basically city property, and since they take care of those strips, they may get defensive over 'their' turf.

Keep this in mind: the dream yard that you wish to hunt could be owned by a friend of the karen.

This is the gods honest truth six months into me Metal Detecting in the historic District of my town there’s a place near the river call the landing where the ships from New Orleans used to bring oxen and liquor Georgetown. The historic district is now mostly concrete and Law firms and women’s boutiques. In the middle of one of the streets there was one patch of curb strip which look like it hasn’t been bothered in years pretty smooth for people just walking on it. While I was pretty green at the time and I wasn’t embarrassed enough to have to park two blocks away and walk there with my shovel, detector The whole 9 yards well anyway I got there metal detected the strip that was only about 6 feet long and got a deep signal. So I started digging up the hard dirt noticing there were feet that were passing me and I just didn’t look up LOL. Being in the middle of summer at that I was sweating And from my experience at that time I said it’s probably just an all big washer but I took my hand shovel and made one more dig and a black disc popped out it was solid black solid I’ll put it in my bag brought it home and cleaned it and this is what it was. 1827 8 Reales. So that’s my curb strip storyIn June I’ll be 53 and I’ve been Metal Detecting for the last six years and it’s just been the best I’ll be I’ve ever had and I don’t even fish anymore which I was obsessed with and my friends thought I was crazy when I would rather Metal Detecting than fish. They still think I’m crazy LOL
544530fadfa6e2d9df46eed2a1df7183.jpg

8cb0c6e13e6e4c766c2ee7202f970d02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy $&!? missed this while scanning this thread earlier while in town waiting in construction traffic. That is damn amazing. That is just wow. I hope to achieve a silver quarter that isn’t even on my radar.

Her main complaint was the destruction of property. Either way she was very tactless, if she just would of said something we would of moved on. Instead she called the cops. Which they found pointless. Obviously she wasn’t scared to approach us cause she was very rude and demanding. Either way she can get bent. I have contemplated going back just to spite her but she isn’t worth a lick of my time.[/QUOTE

Ha! I was just trying to stand up for a possible frail-ish grandmother type- sounds like you encountered the Battle Axe!
:lol:

Yeah not a friendly gal.

Ive hunted curbstrips, but I like to let the property owner know Im out there, and what Im doing. If they say NO!, I move on. In many cases the yes has led to a whole yard hunt. I dont think a lot of people realize that they are easements and basically city property, and since they take care of those strips, they may get defensive over 'their' turf.

Keep this in mind: the dream yard that you wish to hunt could be owned by a friend of the karen.

I have asked when out. Not knocking for a curb strip. If the house is older I may. I have gotten permission to yards by asking to do a curb strip when the owner has been out. This lady is that typical my turf and nothing better to do but complain about something, anything that someone else does.

bad hair day! "covid complications" scary!
I wouldn't let her keep me from silvers! placate her!
tell her the world is NOT ending!..anything! ..
"krazy karens!" woot! woot!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Heading out again this weekend to a different town. Will let ya all know if I get attacked by a Karen or the male version.

I know some of you will get your hair on fire, but I've got to say it anyway, and I think there a lot of people here who would agree. I would never hunt a curb strip without asking, even before knowing what I'm about to post. I talked with my real estate attorney last week and asked him about ownership of curb strips. The basic answer is that curb strips are owned by the property owner, the city merely owns a right of way through the curb strip which allows them to install sidewalks and utilities. The home owner still owns the curb strip and is required to maintain it. How would any of you like someone digging in your yard without asking? I have a feeling most of us might feel a little Karenish if that happened, and justifiably so. FYI, I hate that term Karen, just more division in our country. It's time we started sowing more courtesy and grace and less division. JMO

I know some of you will get your hair on fire, but I've got to say it anyway, and I think there a lot of people here who would agree. I would never hunt a curb strip without asking, even before knowing what I'm about to post. I talked with my real estate attorney last week and asked him about ownership of curb strips. The basic answer is that curb strips are owned by the property owner, the city merely owns a right of way through the curb strip which allows them to install sidewalks and utilities. The home owner still owns the curb strip and is required to maintain it. How would any of you like someone digging in your yard without asking? I have a feeling most of us might feel a little Karenish if that happened, and justifiably so. FYI, I hate that term Karen, just more division in our country. It's time we started sowing more courtesy and grace and less division. JMO

It depends from area to area. And I will continue hitting them either way. If the homeowner is outside I do ask. And I have asked each city I have been in and gotten the green light. Just not allowed on there side of strip. The main reason people choose to not detect them is they want no confrontation. The less others detect them more for me. I will being doing two different towns this weekend. As for the Karen division statement there’s a lot more going on then referring to a segment of angry people by a first name. Your entitled to your opinion though that is what are vets died for amongst many other things. I have noticed that the majority of the ones that get pissed are on a certain side of the political spectrum FYI.

Back
Top Bottom