Coin condition for bank deposits

The bulk of mine go in the trash. Then the rest will go into a metal straining pot where I add some CLR or vinegar , baking soda , etc. Then off to the coinstar. Hoping they alone will take a bite out of that 12% fee. Many end up in the reject tray. Where it doesn't take long for some unsuspecting sap to come by thinking he just struck gold. The poo eating grin these guys have is priceless ! So that's my reward for the hard work digging these things. Ya gotta dig them if you want gold on a beach. I don't count , but it's in the 1000s I throw away each year.

Just get a gift card and skip that massive fee at coinstar

As many of you may know, I find enough of them on my own but Craig doesn't. Please feel free to send them to him and you can deduct it as a "charitable contribution" on your taxes.

Hey felix, I'll send you some crusty zincs, will you clean them up and send them to red cross for me? I'll let you keep half for cleaning fees. :laughing:

Josh :D

just clean them with tumbler and rocks and detergent get the loose dirt and grime off. roll them and tell the bank person these need to go back to the mint. they are ugly. your tax money paid to have them minted.. so cash them in. no problem at my bank. they separate ratty paper money to go back and do the same with bad coins. i just put them in rolls together if real bad. semi ugly goes with good ones. :cool3: they spend... but check them all , found a semi key date the other day cleaning.

Back when KT was actively MDing, he tumbled them with detergent and pea gravel, rinsed, dried, and then dumped in the coin machine. If they took, fine. If they were rejected, they got tossed in the trash can. Only the worst ones were rejected.

Back when KT was actively MDing, he tumbled them with detergent and pea gravel, rinsed, dried, and then dumped in the coin machine. If they took, fine. If they were rejected, they got tossed in the trash can. Only the worst ones were rejected.

Sounds like a good, fair method. I might try that with my local coinstar machine when I get enough pennies. Right now, I only have about 50 that are in questionable condition.

Sounds like a good, fair method. I might try that with my local coinstar machine when I get enough pennies. Right now, I only have about 50 that are in questionable condition.

Just remember, there are some very finicky machines and those that are not very finicky. If you get a high percentage of rejects, you have a picky machine, if a low percentage of rejects, then you have found the machine you want to use! :lol::lol: Best of luck!

Just remember, there are some very finicky machines and those that are not very finicky. If you get a high percentage of rejects, you have a picky machine, if a low percentage of rejects, then you have found the machine you want to use! :lol::lol: Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice!

Glad to help...us older guys pick up a few worthwhile tips due to experience!

KT has dealt with two kinds of coin machines at banks. One is a belt driven slow speed machine. They are high number rejectors and by refeeding coins back into them, they will eventually take nearly all the coins. The second type is what KT uses now, a high speed spinner type that only rejects if the coin is bent or a fake like a slug. If you have some bent coins, just take a hammer to them and make them flat, then they should run through fine! :laughing::laughing:

Glad to help...us older guys pick up a few worthwhile tips due to experience!

KT has dealt with two kinds of coin machines at banks. One is a belt driven slow speed machine. They are high number rejectors and by refeeding coins back into them, they will eventually take nearly all the coins. The second type is what KT uses now, a high speed spinner type that only rejects if the coin is bent or a fake like a slug. If you have some bent coins, just take a hammer to them and make them flat, then they should run through fine! :laughing::laughing:

Whew. A high-speed spinner sorta sounds like a saw :lol:, but I just like this method. Check it out:

Teller: How may I help you?

Me: Hey! I have these coins that I found metal detecting. They do have a slight brownish color to them, is that fine with you?

T: Sure! Let me see.

M: *pulls out a quarter from roll*

T: Okay! Do you want cash for these?

M *nods*

T: *rummaging in the cash closet noises* *flips out a roll of '20s*

T: Here you go!

*This is usually longer cuz we chit chat a bit.*

Like ON SPOT person to person things. Then it isn't a machine that you kinda have to gamble.

Josh

I wash and clean the coins with water only, then roll Quarters and Dimes.
Then I take the nickels and pennies to the Coinstar.

I let Coinstar figure out which ones are good or bad, and throw the nasty pennies away... after sending them through the reject bin a few times!

Choose an e-gift card at Coinstar, to avoid the 11% fee. I just push mine to Amazon.com, where I'm constantly buying stuff anyway...

Cheers!

I wash and clean the coins with water only, then roll Quarters and Dimes.
Then I take the nickels and pennies to the Coinstar.

I let Coinstar figure out which ones are good or bad, and throw the nasty pennies away... after sending them through the reject bin a few times!

Choose an e-gift card at Coinstar, to avoid the 11% fee. I just push mine to Amazon.com, where I'm constantly buying stuff anyway...

Cheers!

That would be my choice dealing with coinstar as well. My wife saves all our change and each year we do the coinstar Amazon gift card option. Last year was our highest which is crazy with lockdowns and such lol.

Back
Top Bottom