• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Possible EXTREMELY Rare Coin..... Help!

Cinlynn

Hi all,

Straight to the point. My father in law has a 1853 O seated liberty half dollar, no rays. I looked at it today, comparing it to the pic in the Red Book. It sure looks real to me. Could it really BE?? :shock: He's owned it for several years. Someone told him it was probably counterfeit. I dunno though.... sure looked right on to me. Numbers were right, no abnormalities. Same with the ridges, etc. No dents.. nothing.

According to Red Book, there are only 3 known!

Next time I go over there, I'll get pics and do the magnet test.. Thanks!

Edit to add... as long as he has been collecting coins... I would think he's already done the magnet test though.. I'll find out.

Pic would be great. Hope it is a rare one for him.

I will get pictures next time, if I can. My father in law is a very private person, eccentric, really. Hopefully, he'll let me take a picture. He doesn't have a checking or bank account. He deals in stocks and trade. He has many coins. If I'd had my camera with me today, I would have snapped some pictures. He has the coin in one of those cardboard holder thingys. When he bought the coin (along with several others) they were all loose.

If you look at the 1853 O without arrows or rays in the article I posted above... that's it. Although, My FIL's coin looks near AU. That is the one big thing that gives me pause. :?:

Weight is the easiest way to spot a counterfeit.....grab a small scale and weigh it.

Weight is the easiest way to spot a counterfeit.....grab a small scale and weigh it.

What should it weigh?

From the article linked to above....

Congress reacted with passage of the Act of Feb. 21, 1853; the act ordered a reduction in the weight of the half dime, dime, quarter dollar and half dollar, but not of the dollar and the 3-cent coin. The reduction in weight was successful in halting the melting.

To distinguish coins of the new weight from those of the old weight, modifications were ordered to the existing designs. On the obverse, horizontal arrows were added on each side of the date on the half dime, dime, quarter dollar and half dollar. Glory rays were added to encircle the eagle on the quarter dollar and half dollar reverses.

From 1853 to 1873 the half dollars produced in the United States weighed 12.44 grams (192 grains). The change was signified by adding arrows at the date (1853-1855) and rays around the eagle (1853). The weight was slightly increased to 12.50 grams (193 grains) in 1873, with the change signified by adding arrows at the date (1873-1874). This would remain the weight until the conclusion of the series in 1891.

http://seatedlibertyhalfdollar.org/seated-liberty-half-dollar-composition-and-specifications/

Getting pics today... so there! :p

Seriously, I am going over to weigh the coin and take pictures. If authentic, the coin should weigh 13.36 (or 63, forget which). Sending the info to a Pro at Stacks Bowers. YAY! Well, that is if the weight is true. :D

I'm crossing my fingers for ya! Best of luck, and hopefully he will allow a picture.

Thanks!!

I talked to him on the phone about it last night. He is willing to take the coin from it's holder to weigh.. AND let me take pictures.

I will share the pictures this evening, regardless of the outcome of it's weight. :yes:

The suspense is killing me :cool:

It's been killn' me too! :laughing:

It DID pass the magnet test.. yay.

Here's the pictures as promised. sigh

As you can see, the weight is way off. :no:
coin1.jpg

Front and back.

coin2.jpg
coin3.jpg
It sure would have been nice. Oh well, Que Sera Sera.

Back
Top Bottom