• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Any pointers that just detect from the tip?

John Madill

Elite Member
I have a Garrett carrot and a Nokta Pulsedive. Both well made pointers but they read 360 degrees. So they point you in the direction of the sidewalls AND bottom of the hole.

Yes, they can quickly be detuned but i would like to try one that just utilizes the tip.

I have a Garrett carrot and a Nokta Pulsedive. Both well made pointers but they read 360 degrees. So they point you in the direction of the sidewalls AND bottom of the hole.

Yes, they can quickly be detuned but i would like to try one that just utilizes the tip.
That would be the Whites TRX pinpointer!

John I also use the carrot. And in most cases a ground grab will do the trick. I only use pinpoint function on my machine when the depth meter is maxxed. Other wise I do a wiggle back from two directions and dig under the sweet spot. After flipping the plug if the carrot says straight down, most times a good target. If it starts running off to side of the hole most likely junk. I have a TRX and the only real time I find that useful is around tree roots where the direction you can dig is limited. Unfortunately Whites is gone and like the Digmaster I think one will be hard to find. Like I said 95% of the time the carrot will do the job. Good luck, Mark

John I also use the carrot. And in most cases a ground grab will do the trick. I only use pinpoint function on my machine when the depth meter is maxxed. Other wise I do a wiggle back from two directions and dig under the sweet spot. After flipping the plug if the carrot says straight down, most times a good target. If it starts running off to side of the hole most likely junk. I have a TRX and the only real time I find that useful is around tree roots where the direction you can dig is limited. Unfortunately Whites is gone and like the Digmaster I think one will be hard to find. Like I said 95% of the time the carrot will do the job. Good luck, Mark
So Garrett stopped production when they bought them out? My bad.:(

So Garrett stopped production when they bought them out? My bad.:(

That whole sale of Whites Electronics to Garretts seems odd to me. What did Garrett get for their money they paid for Whites, if Garretts can't monopolize on a winner design like the TRX pinpointer? I'd already rebranded a tip only pinpointer with a Garretts label, using the TRX design, directly off of the schematics they bought.

That deal was goofy.

My take is -- it keeps the name "White's" out of any competitor's hands. If I were a money grubbing businessman, I'd slap that name on all sorts of imported "junk" merchandise at low prices and watch it fly out the door.

That whole sale of Whites Electronics to Garretts seems odd to me. What did Garrett get for their money they paid for Whites, if Garretts can't monopolize on a winner design like the TRX pinpointer? I'd already rebranded a tip only pinpointer with a Garretts label, using the TRX design, directly off of the schematics they bought.

That deal was goofy.

I'm confident Garrett has considered that possibility. But for whatever reason, they concluded it wouldn't be worth it.

My guess is that they felt it wasn't worth it b/c it would cannibalize too much of their Garrett Carrot sales.

I'm confident Garrett has considered that possibility. But for whatever reason, they concluded it wouldn't be worth it.

My guess is that they felt it wasn't worth it b/c it would cannibalize too much of their Garrett Carrot sales.

With the TRX prices, if you can find one, it just seems good business to re-brand the TRX, and sell them. Corporate America. I'm happy I have my TRX, bought in 2018. It won't be my go-to, solo pointer, but the TRX is perfect as a second pointer on the belt, along with the F-Pulse. The TRX has enough added depth ability that the tip only feature isn't a hassle. Otherwise, I would always choose 360 degree pointers like the Carrott or the F-Pulse.

The F-Pulse certainly did have developmental issues in it's beginning but once I ironed out those, I won't use another pointer, given the opportunity. The TRX and the Pulse make a good team to carry. I find it second nature for which one I immediately grab. IMO, the less down on my knees is greatly reduced having both tools.

With the TRX prices, if you can find one, it just seems good business to re-brand the TRX, and sell them. Corporate America. I'm happy I have my TRX, bought in 2018. It won't be my go-to, solo pointer, but the TRX is perfect as a second pointer on the belt, along with the F-Pulse. The TRX has enough added depth ability that the tip only feature isn't a hassle. Otherwise, I would always choose 360 degree pointers like the Carrott or the F-Pulse.

The F-Pulse certainly did have developmental issues in it's beginning but once I ironed out those, I won't use another pointer, given the opportunity. The TRX and the Pulse make a good team to carry. I find it second nature for which one I immediately grab. IMO, the less down on my knees is greatly reduced having both tools.

The problem is, I doubt Garrett can sell the TRX for much more than $135 or so without turning off too many "uninitiated." People like you and me might understand why the "Garrett-TRX" might be that expensive, but with many other good options like the Carrot, Pro-Find 35, N/M's pinpointer, F-Pulse, Tek-Point (yes, I know it's the same as the F-Pulse, but many casual buyers may not), Mi-4/6, etc., it's easy to be lost in the crowd with such a high price.

As for the developmental issues, that's what kept me from getting an F-Pulse initially. Turns out I ended up getting the Pro-Find 35 and was happy with it, then moved on to the Carrot, but only b/c it was easier to tinker with. Only now do I have the F-Pulse, and even then it's only b/c I got a good deal on it before I could get a good deal on the Mi-4.

One thing I would love to see is a carrot or f-pulse waterproof to at least 30 meters for snorkeling. The 180` detection would allow searching beaches without drawing unnecessary.attention.

The problem is, I doubt Garrett can sell the TRX for much more than $135 or so without turning off too many "uninitiated." People like you and me might understand why the "Garrett-TRX" might be that expensive, but with many other good options like the Carrot, Pro-Find 35, N/M's pinpointer, F-Pulse, Tek-Point (yes, I know it's the same as the F-Pulse, but many casual buyers may not), Mi-4/6, etc., it's easy to be lost in the crowd with such a high price.

As for the developmental issues, that's what kept me from getting an F-Pulse initially. Turns out I ended up getting the Pro-Find 35 and was happy with it, then moved on to the Carrot, but only b/c it was easier to tinker with. Only now do I have the F-Pulse, and even then it's only b/c I got a good deal on it before I could get a good deal on the Mi-4.

The Pro-Find isn't in the same venue IMO. It is so silent in audible volume, and the depth is lame compared to the TRX or Pulse, it was one pointer I've never owned. Mostly it was the lame volume of the Pro find for me, but I seriously doubt that it get near the depths. jm2c

The Pro-Find isn't in the same venue IMO. It is so silent in audible volume, and the depth is lame compared to the TRX or Pulse, it was one pointer I've never owned. Mostly it was the lame volume of the Pro find for me, but I seriously doubt that it get near the depths. jm2c

In my experience, the Pro-Find 35 was basically a 3 button version of the Garrett Carrot.

Remember, you and I aren't the average consumer when it comes to metal detecting. We have enough experience and access to first-hand real-world accounts where we can make far more informed decisions than the average metal detecting consumer.

Most of them aren't even considering the pinpointing models you and I consider. They're thinking about getting those $20-$40 cheap knockoffs from China off of Amazon.com or eBay. Many of them have no idea why someone would spend more than $50 for a pinpointer. So can we really expect them to understand the nuances that differentiate the TRX from the F-Pulse from the Pro-Find 35? Heck, all of those pinpointers probably cost more than the actual detector they're using!

Even among the "initiated," there still aren't very many of us who have extensive experience with more than 2 types of pinpointers. It wasn't until I had maybe 50 hours of metal detecting experience with a pinpointer that I finally appreciated the need for long closing ranges (aka: proportional response or ratcheting).

also learning to pin point your target with the detector is helpful

The hand held pinpointer holds a void that cannot be covered by a regular detector. Those who like to detect near metal fences and metal structures like bleachers will know that the tip only pinpointer is a very good tool for working in close to these metal structures. I cannot tell you the amount of good finds that I have recovered by metal posts like on a volly ball court and such. Garrett is missing a big portion of the market with that up the shaft pinpointer and not re making the TRX with the garrett name. During normal digs in the open it is nice to have a "pin Pointer" rather that a general area up the shaft pointer like the carrot. Just my thoughts

The Bullseye 2 also detects tip only. Runs at 35khz I believe and never had it interfere with any of my detectors. They are cheaply built and gain is a tiny knob on the front so it can get dirty. The high frequency they don't have super depth but will narrow your search fairly well. Some on ebay fairly cheap.

You are better off with the Carrot and notch it down to narrow the search. The carrot is built much better.

I typically work my way down towards the target. I have both the Nokta Pulse pointer and a ML Profind 35.

Back
Top Bottom