2 Indians and 5 Wheats!!

Digger RJ

Elite Member
Got to take an old friend out on a hunt and help him with his Equinox 800. We went to Springfield Mo. People don’t seem as easy to let You hunt there now, but We were able to score 4 yards that kept Us busy most of the day.
My first 2 signals were Indians. That made for a Great start. Found 4 Wheats out of the same yard.
When We were about to leave he said he only found 1 Wheat . I said let Me see it and I’ll try to get the date. After I saw the back I was like, this ain’t no Wheat😂 It’s an Indian Head Penny. 1875 to be exact.
Indians-1900,1901
Wheats-1918D,1958,1916D,1949,1917
Got a good laugh and We had a Great time. Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!!!!

Attachments

• 02EAF030-1D15-458F-9128-F712B166E489.jpg
    02EAF030-1D15-458F-9128-F712B166E489.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 0DBE30FE-F399-4418-87B6-C3997A75F1F9.jpg
    0DBE30FE-F399-4418-87B6-C3997A75F1F9.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Congrats on the Ihps and wheats RJ. I see you found a valve stem cover, those are always fun to find. And speaking of yard permissions, they just seem hard to get these days, so 4 in one day is great. Do you guys just run through and cherry pick ? When I get a permission I work it to death. I usually tell the owner it might take me more than one trip depending on how hard the ground is to hunt. And by saying that it helps me to get a sense of how open the owner is and maybe get a standing permission. Good luck. Mark

Congrats on the Ihps and wheats RJ. I see you found a valve stem cover, those are always fun to find. And speaking of yard permissions, they just seem hard to get these days, so 4 in one day is great. Do you guys just run through and cherry pick ? When I get a permission I work it to death. I usually tell the owner it might take me more than one trip depending on how hard the ground is to hunt. And by saying that it helps me to get a sense of how open the owner is and maybe get a standing permission. Good luck. Mark

Thanks!! I like finding those valve stem caps too. Usually when I hunt a yard, I try to get all the coins out of yard that I hunt. I do set the coin areas a little high and low on the Deus2 and Nox when I use it, just in case their numbers are distorted a bit from iron.
I try not to make a mine field out of their yard. All the plugs I dig You can hardly tell the grass is disturbed. I crosshatch the older homes just to make sure also. Keeping their yards looking just as good as they did before I was there also
gives Me a Good “In” when I do get around to go back to yards that I’ve already hunted for coins and look for lower conductors. This way it also doesn’t seem like I’m digging tons of holes.
I’ve noticed that the better experience I make My hunts for the homeowners, the better hunts I have.
As for cherry picking, We all know that the Numbers for most stuff We hunt for can vary greatly sometimes. Especially for Gold which is a mysterious creature itself when it comes to TID numbers. I do dig the TID numbers high and low a bit as I set the machines as I mentioned earlier. I dig a lot of trash at times, but it clears the spot in case of deeper items. My method isn’t perfect, but I can always keep working on it and detecting 😁
Happy Hunting!!!!! Randy

sounds like a great hunt helping a friend. Newbie 800 users can benefit from some personal guidance. The gods of metal detecting are funny. Wheats and Indians, should be some silver. But we all know it does not always work that way.

Back
Top Bottom