• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A bunch of iron...

Shae1324

So most of this was within 10 square feet in between two giant oaks in the Uhwarrie mountains of Montgomery County, NC. The trees had grown up amongst a tangle of barbwire, which is one of my favorite places to hunt. I found the two bottles and immediately picked up enough broken pottery and glass to fill them up. The plow point was an exciting find for me, even though Im still trying to discern the age and make of it.

These were my first stove lids, so Im quite happy with them. The blank cartridge has been fired, and I am not quite sure what caliber it is yet, or why anyone would need a blank in the middle of the woods.

All in all, nothing spectacular, but still one of my favorite hunts to date. I highly doubt the spot has been hunted previously, and I never made it out of the one spot before it got dark on me.

Attachments

• Resized6.jpg
    Resized6.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Resized7.jpg
    Resized7.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Resized.jpg
    Resized.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 173
  • ResizedFMD.jpg
    ResizedFMD.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 179
  • resized4.jpg
    resized4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 173
You found the junk pile, take a couple dozen steps in any direction, and start a, expanding radius around those trees until you hit some coins.

Cool finds, there's coins there somewhere, you just need to hit the right area(s).

Cool relics - that's a lot of digging!

I'll bet there's more keepers at that spot - no doubt you're the first to hunt it.

Yessir, sure was a lot of digging. I think that's probably true. I didn't find any can slaw, or bottle caps at all. I don't think the place sees much traffic period.

You found the junk pile, take a couple dozen steps in any direction, and start a, expanding radius around those trees until you hit some coins.

Cool finds, there's coins there somewhere, you just need to hit the right area(s).

I think you might be right. It got dark on me before I could finish, and the next day I ended up going fishing. Heading back out there this fall for the family camping trip, should be easier hunting then anyhow. Thanks for the look.

Like that stove lid myself, and the blank almost looks like 5.56 but hard to tell sizing. What’s the chain thing? Part of a trap or ?

Cool finds :)

Like that stove lid myself, and the blank almost looks like 5.56 but hard to tell sizing. What’s the chain thing? Part of a trap or ?

Cool finds :)

Someone suggested that it's a logging chain or something of the like, especially if the hook end was broken, but something to do with trapping seems like a sound possibility as well.

The blank is definitely 5.56x45 mm, it reads, as best I can tell, C779, which makes no sense to me. The only C7 I know of is a Canadian military AR.

I did find one reference on the web to a M297/779, 68 grain heavy ball type cartridge. Whatever it is, it has an extremely heavy and off center primer strike. It is a boxer primer, not berdan, surprisingly enough. I found several, but my stepdad claimed two of them for himself.

If any one knows what it is, or can point me in the right direction, I will be eternally grateful.

Back
Top Bottom