• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Best place to find silver coins?

SWKDigger

Elite Member
I've been at this for 9 months. I've found silver rings, gold rings, clad, bullets, buckles, etc but so far no silver coins. One of my goals is to start getting silver coins this year. Where do you guys that find silver find most of your coins? In old neighborhoods, abandoned school sites, homesteads.......? I could possible be limited by my BH machine but I have buried a silver dime and the detector saw it. Might be a depth limitation though.

Don't think it's your detector rather the locations your hunting. Talk to your friends in town in the older sections and do some door knocking if you can as
yards offer the best chances for older coins. Good luck.

My best luck comes from older city parks and private property.

Also, any unpaved parking lots that have some age to them should help produce silver.

Don't forget your area was hard hit during the dust bowl years so that can affect the depth of coins and other goodies.

I once found a Rosie and an IH together 2" down. Don't know if you have much for lakes down there but old resorts are usually pretty good spots. Not many people could afford a weekend at the lake back in the early 1900's so the ones that did were usually wealthy.

North☆Star;1911790 said:
I once found a Rosie and an IH together 2" down. Don't know if you have much for lakes down there but old resorts are usually pretty good spots. Not many people could afford a weekend at the lake back in the early 1900's so the ones that did were usually wealthy.

What's a lake? LOL The Arkansas River "flows" right by me and it hasn't had water in it at all for 4-5 years. It's so dry that if we catch any fish around here we have to check them for ticks.

What's a lake? LOL The Arkansas River "flows" right by me and it hasn't had water in it at all for 4-5 years. It's so dry that if we catch any fish around here we have to check them for ticks.

We have plenty of lakes. 200 miles from here about any direction :laughing:
I can't wait for summer.

Oh and btw i was told that we may see water in the river again before long as it reached the head gates yesterday.

Fairgrounds , sites where old buildings were demolished , around old houses , old schools , etc. have been good spots for me to find silver. But silver coins can literally turn up just about anywhere , you just have to get the detector coil over them.

Since most of the obvious place have been hunted over the years one trick to get the easier silver is to look for the places not so obvious , places that are likely to be passed over by all those looking to hunt the obvious places. Sometimes "easy" silver turns up in the woods and in plain looking sections of riverbank since a lot fewer people hunt there. Old swimming holes are good too.

Research on your particular area or towns history is very important since they usually looked very different back when there were a lot of silver coins in circulation. That open field at the edge of town or stand of trees may have been the site of a thriving business back in the 40's or 50's for example. Everyone passes these places up thinking there wouldnt be anything there judging by how they look now but they dont know they could hold some really good old coins.

I've been at this for 9 months. I've found silver rings, gold rings, clad, bullets, buckles, etc but so far no silver coins. One of my goals is to start getting silver coins this year. Where do you guys that find silver find most of your coins? In old neighborhoods, abandoned school sites, homesteads.......? I could possible be limited by my BH machine but I have buried a silver dime and the detector saw it. Might be a depth limitation though.

Although I'd assume private property is your best bet, do some research on your town. Aside from online resources like historicaerials.com, I've found the local library usually has a good selection of historical pictures, stories, books, etc. that can supply information on sites that might hold coins. Like stated, look for sites that had public events in the past, old parks, and streets that have parking strips that haven't been reworked. Although a bit of luck comes into play, doing your historical research really will up the odds.
Good luck and congrats on finding gold. That's still on my list. :cool:

I'd look for old one room school houses or picnic groves. I had a gentlemen tell me a story the other day about his grandfather dumping sawdust out and throwing coins into it for the kids to dig in to find the coins at a church picnic.

X2 on rather-be-hunting I've found most of my silver around pre 60s homes there wasn't much money around back in the early 1900s and late 1800s unless u were rich lol

Garrett At pro and pro pointer

I hit old houses due to there are no old parks in my area. I wish there where old parks around me. If there are I have not been able to find them. I do well at old homes.

Ballfields that have been in use for at least 60-70 years are the best for old silvers.

Hunt the outfields.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Being on the board of the local historical society I have a lot of access to information concerning history and I am in research mode for the winter. I have hunted several of the suggested locations but an kind of looking for the high percentage places. I have hunted quite a few places that I thought should hold silver but so far it has eluded me. Part of the reason may be that I really haven't hunted a lot of other peoples yards. I am comfortable with my pinpointing skills and plug digging now so I don't mind working in someone's yard even if they watch me.

Back
Top Bottom