Canteen

Riverguy

Found this Jewel yesterday morning. Should I leave as is? Or wax or electrolysis then wax. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 9676E3A0-5977-4C81-ADFC-5913FF79D4A1.jpg
    9676E3A0-5977-4C81-ADFC-5913FF79D4A1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 594
No not that I can see. It’s fragile. It’s been in water or over 150 years . It kept its shape being filled with sand and river gravel. Now dried out it’s extremely fragile. That’s why I wanted to know if I should wax it.

I sprayed mine with a clear laquer when I found it around 3 yrs, ago and put it in one of my show cases. It didn't change its rusted appearance at all. Seems to be holding up well. Congrats on a nice and seldom found relic.

It is a very cool find. I'd as well leave it as is, sort of. Outside, clear lacquer or "Eastwood Patina Protector" (google it). I'd also consider, because it's so fragile, "filling it". Using a very, very, easy release tape to cover the holes. Then fill it with something along the lines of plaster of paris. Even mix some dry colorant into the plaster, dark reddish brown. When it's cured, pull the tape off. Your not going to ruin the tiny collector value and it'll be a lot more resistant to damage. Maybe even melted wax.

That is a very AWESOME find. Did you find it in just laying in a creek or was it buried in the creek?

I would clean it gently, let it dry and use a polyurethane spray on it. I've used this before on other old iron and steel pieces with no regrets....

Back
Top Bottom