• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A merc, a toke and a pachyderm...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
A short hunt today, bopping about my same old local park, the first signal I dug was a high tone which was a dog tag.
The first cool thing I come across is another Bama tax token in ok shape.
A good hunt right there, but more would be nice.
A bit later I dug a crumpled up piece of thick foil but something told me it was not normal can slaw but another 3 Merry Widows tin top and after getting it home and unfolding I found out I was right.
This park is loaded with these things, that makes 2 in two days.
Then I dug a weird little signal that bounced from iron to foil and usually I would have left it alone as trash but even trash doesn't act like this so I got curious.
Turns out it was this tiny, half as thin as a dime little elephant pendant.
I mean this thing is really thin.
Worth digging a hole just to get surprised.
Now I'm getting tired so I start heading home digging the more solid signals along the way.
Not many, but I come across this decent one that is in the can slaw area, could be maybe one of the larger beaver tail type tabs which is one of many kinds that live in this park.
It was solid enough and sounded good too so what the heck I am gonna dig it.
I open a hole and don't see nuthin' so I keep scraping dirt away and about 4" down I turn over some dirt and see a shiny rim and I know it is a silver dime.
Found a rosey in this same area a couple weeks back so I am thinking another one but nope...a 1945 merc.
No way would this come in so low so I stick the PP back in the hole and it goes off.
Reach my hand in a pull out some dirt and in that dirt is a nickel...1946.
A 70 year old pocket spill with silver so coooool!
That makes 10 silver coins FTY...on my way to a new record this year for sure.
A little nothing hunt turns into something pretty neat.
Guess I'm living the life of Riley.

Attachments

• user10659_pic70316_1457311388_PerfectlyClear_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic70316_1457311388_PerfectlyClear_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 226
  • user10659_pic70313_1457311165_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic70313_1457311165_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 231
  • PicsArt_1457316040812_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    PicsArt_1457316040812_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 222
Nice finds Digger! Congrats on the silvers and other finds.

Nice job on that multidenom OLD spill! Makes a guy wonder how many more are out there! A lot I bet! Sweet work there D27!
Mud

Nice job on that multidenom OLD spill! Makes a guy wonder how many more are out there! A lot I bet! Sweet work there D27!
Mud

This was a small area in my old park.
Found a rosey here before, about 4 years ago I found a silver rim of an old pocket watch here too.
I think this was a popular area for people to hang out on this park decades ago with just a little stand of trees here here now, a couple of bigger older ones in that stand too, and some rocky dirt with no grass because the trees won't let the sun get to the ground so the only people walking over it now are the frisbee type because there is a goal in the area.
I also found a small spike in this area the other day from a trolley line that ran through the park around the time pocket watches were popular and this site lines up in a straight line along what I think was the train's path.
Not only that but the rosey I found here was in great shape from 1943, this dime is not all that worn and the 46 nickel is dirty but not worn much either.
Something tells me I need to concentrate on this area now because it just might have been a heavily used picnic area from the 20's to the early 50's at least.
Lots of can slaw and old beaver tail tabs all over the place.
Wish I had a time machine to go back and see but in this hobby ya gotta use logic and all clues point to this.
The easy silver was scooped up long ago but the masked stuff is still here, not deep either, so I know where I will be hanging out on the next few hunts.

Merc. , toke. and pachyderm

Congratulations on saving those oldies. The elephant had to be one of those "needle in a haystack" finds. Love the Merc. Dime (same year I was born). Looks to be in great shape too. Best of luck on your future hunts.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom