Yea, it's gonna be a good year...10k with ice!!!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
ir1.jpg

P1050624.jpg

2 days ago I went hunting at a favorite park now that we have a little break in the weather, wasn't expecting much from the still frozen soil but lightning struck and I found a lifetime find in the form of a 22 karat gold ring.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=206353

Yesterday back to the same park and found a bit of clad but nothing else to write home about.
Still had a great time digging what I could in weather that was not bitter cold.

Today I went to another park near me that I haven't been to in awhile.
Just digging anything on this beautiful sunny day was still the goal.
I hit up a few areas near a parking lot, people pulling out keys usually lose other things in the process, but only a few coins popped up.
Moved over to some grassy areas and dug a few more coins, a neat looking clip on earring but that's it in that area.
I could have stayed there because it was a large area but I felt like wandering awhile so I walked around a small lake and hunted around another pavilion for a bit.
Disc was set to knock out iron, problem foil and most of the smaller can slaw pieces because the ground was still frozen past a few inches deep in most places and I preferred to dig just the really solid signals looking for gold and better coin targets as usual.
I hunted around the pavilion a bit and then just started to wander again but this area had trees and the soil was still frozen more than I liked so I was going to head back to the more open area with a little better melted soil when I hit an area with several coins.
A quarter, a dime several copper and zinc cents popped up in a small area so I decided to just clean up this area and then backtrack.
Then it happened.
I got another very solid signal that didn't jump at all...a nickel signal all the way and it was a 31-32 from every angle I came at it.
I wasn't excited, I already had a couple nickels and at least 2 pieces of small can slaw that acted the same way but I had to dig it and see so I opened a hole.
When I pried up just a bit of dirt I saw this...

hole.jpg

I took a movie of the extraction and I will post that later, but right then and there I knew this was something good.
It was also familiar because I only could see the side of the band but I saw some lines that led me to believe this was going to be a channel ring because I have dug 3 others like it before.
Channel rings...good, because most of those channels hold, in my experience, usually 3 or 4 small diamonds set at an angle.
I pulled the thing out, cleaned it off and looked at the front and I was exactly right.
3 nice little rocks glistening in the sunlight even though they were still mostly covered with dirt.

This was pure luck that I swung the coil over this thing in such a huge area, but luck is a big part of this hobby I have discovered so you take what the MD gods decide to give you and just smile and thank them when they do.
X marks the spot where I found it.
No gridding, just wandering.

Clipboard01.jpg

6.2 grams of a beautiful combination of white and yellow gold.
There is a very tiny 10k mark on the inside.
Really small and mostly rubbed out because I think this thing has some age on it but it is there.
There is a possibility the white part is actually platinum and the mark inside has worn off but I will get it tested soon just to make sure.

I had the standard elliptical coil on lately, no reason for major depth right now and I love the smooth response I get and can deal with most trash and especially pop tops easily with that one.
Maybe this thing is trying to tell me something or has something to prove by finding 2 sweet gold rings for me in a 3 day span.
All I can say is I am leaving this coil on for awhile because it deserves it.
Prove anything you want little coil...I am just happy going along for the ride.

Sweet find Digger! My year is the yang of your ying year, today I nailed 82¢ in clad in 3 hours of hunting :no:

Glad to see someone nailing some goods!

That's an awesome ring Digger! Congrats on the great find!
I admire anyone who gets out and digs in even partially frozen ground. Sometimes I like to grid, but I have found many of my good finds by just "wandering around" places like you did. Hope you find many more!

DIGGER27, wow, I just said this two days ago but congrats again! You are killing it this year, may it continue. Also, thank you again for the tips/info shared on your previous post, your finds are inspiration for me to keep at it, I must find gold! :grin:

Congrats on the ring. I like how you post a pic of the aerial map. Is the pic geo taged? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom