What to look for in new detector purchase.

BC Buck

Started detecting 40+ years ago with a garage sale detector and need to find my arrows that snaked under grass. Still occasionally have need to find wild shot before tractor tire does.:laughing:Bought my nephew a $100 BH couple years ago but he lost interest after short wile not finding gold bullion behind every tree. He lets me barrow it but would like to get me a good one. Thought I found something really valuable the other day till I flipped it over. Ended up being something I lost as a kid.
Reading on detectors is overwhelming but have no problem looking for used equipment. Im in Midwest soils Missouri and like detecting old farm steads so I need good discrimination. Im tired of digging up nails and aluminum beer tabs.Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 540
I have found a similar Shell gas presidents game token. As far as detectors go the Equinox 800 would be my first choice as the best all around detector for the money.

A Nokta Impact multi or the newer Anfibio multi would be my second choice in the mid-level price range. The Impact is not waterproof the Anfibio is.

The Used market can get you a really nice detector for a significant discount if you want to go that route. Lots of options.

I’ll take a crack at this.If what I say don’t apply then let it fly,I’m not grouping everyone in this hobbie.
First,you need to decide if your a hobbiest or a professional in this..This is a big issue I see on these forums..Machines $800 and up in my opinion are professional machines and not needed for finding nickels and dimes.Used Xterra 705,at pro,racer2 etc will find nickels,dime,jewlery and silver,and pretty much anything else you want.
The equinox 800,Deus,Etrac ,3030 ,v3i,are priced in the professional range and in my opinion pricey for amateur detectorists or weekend warriors to go out and find a few silver coins and clad..Overkill and more of a status symbol for alot of the people who own them.
If you live close to a beach and we’re going for gold which seems to be plentiful from what I see beach hunters posting then I’d agree with getting a top notch machine.
For dirt hunting in parks and yards,the used midrange machines like the at pro,racer,Xterra,f5 ,etc will do more that a adequate job..They get the goods.
Lots of guys spending lots of loot to have professional machines and either are not professionals in this hobbie or they’re not making professional finds.Either or,,its a waste of money.
Buy what you want ,this is just my uneducated guess from owning about every mid to high end machine made,Ive made no professional finds with any machine and I’m just the hobbiest weekend warrior.Ive found just as much with the at pro,xterra 705,race 2 than I have with a equinox,Deus or Etrac...

Last edited:
What to look for in new detector purchase? My thought would be the brand name of Minelab. They have a wide spread variety of machines that will fit most. The Equinox would be my suggestion.

Started detecting 40+ years ago with a garage sale detector and need to find my arrows that snaked under grass. Still occasionally have need to find wild shot before tractor tire does.:laughing:Bought my nephew a $100 BH couple years ago but he lost interest after short wile not finding gold bullion behind every tree. He lets me barrow it but would like to get me a good one. Thought I found something really valuable the other day till I flipped it over. Ended up being something I lost as a kid.
Reading on detectors is overwhelming but have no problem looking for used equipment. Im in Midwest soils Missouri and like detecting old farm steads so I need good discrimination. Im tired of digging up nails and aluminum beer tabs.Thanks

I don’t know how the term professional got into the equation here.
Anyways,
You say you need good discrimination.
Maybe so.
This could infact be associated with a detector that can alert on nonferrous anything really that is near(er) iron object or even under the plane in soil where the iron exist.
So some good choices.

Xp Deus- bit pricier outfit.

Makro Multi Kruzer- Waterproof and good do all around except ( salt water not strongest suit and higher(est) mineralized soils.

Minelab Eqx 600 or 800 model- one is cheaper than the other. Good all around detectors.

Nokta Anfibio Multi- Waterproof and good al around- except higher(est) mineralized soils and salt water.

For silver and copper coins.
Etrac very worthy choice.
Deep unit provides good clues loads of times that silver or copper coin exists even at deeper depths like 8-10” in mild to medium mineralized soils.

Ergonomics can play into your equation.
Good ergo units imo.
Makro multi Kruzer
Deus
Equinox 600 or 800
Fisher F75 + model.

Etrac best choice for deep silver and copper and learning curve not bad. Machine is heavier than the units above. Oem battery is lacking but aftermarket better ones are available.

There are cheaper models available.
They can find good things too. But they will not generally be able to do certain things as well as the units I listed above.
This could be depth, or ability to function in and around iron or both and or quality of audio provided.
Emi handling capabilities on average could be lacking too.

Good luck with your decision.

So you DID find something valuable :)

I like my White's MX5. For some reason they are in disfavor but that just makes them cheap on the used market.

I am still waiting for them to introduce a detector that will not detect pull tabs, can slaw aluminum cans. ETC.

I am still waiting for them to introduce a detector that will not detect pull tabs, can slaw aluminum cans. ETC.

If someone could invent one of those, then they'd never have to work another day in their life. Although I must admit, I find it more exciting to dig a target when I don't know exactly what it is...the element of surprise is a good thing.

I found some neat stuff with my 350 and my At Pro.

Recently bought an equinox 600, just started learning it.

At Pro might be a good one to try.

Back
Top Bottom