Did not expect to find this...

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Like other parts of the South, North Atlanta is in an extended drought. Thus most of the places I hunt have rock hard ground and 95+ temperatures.

So when this happens I switch to volley ball courts. The usual finds are clad, some foreign modern coins, some jewelry, pop tops, foil and screw caps. So that was what I was expecting.

First find was a penny based on the target ID, it looked like a penny. So I recovered it in my sand scoop and yes, it was a penny but to my surprise a 1906 Indian Head in pretty good condition. The very next find was a 1953 D, wheat. Next was a 1944 P nickel in pretty good condition also.

Now why would these be in a volley ball court? A coin collector who plays volley ball? A previous detectorist who got sloppy and pulled something out his his pocket and out came the two pennies? Some young kids who got into their dad's old coin jar?

I think a recent explanation by someone on this forum may be closer to the truth. He stated that Wheats and Indian Heads are really still in circulation due to the coin ignorance of the general public.

But it was odd to find three older coins withing about 2-3 feet of each other in a volley ball court.

Regardless of the how they got there, I made an otherwise boring routine hunt a little more exciting.

Attachments

• volleyball2.jpg
    volleyball2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 314
Actually , you finally found what I had seeded a few years back ! Congrats....

Actually , you finally found what I had seeded a few years back ! Congrats....

Did you really throw those coins away? Not that it’s a bad thing,just wondering if it was a joke or not..Congrats on finding them maxxkatt,pretty coo old finds,,I think old coppers are probably my favored coin to find.

That's pretty weird. All I've ever found in volleyball courts is clad and a Hot Wheels car. That was the end of my volleyball court detecting career.

Did you really throw those coins away? Not that it’s a bad thing,just wondering if it was a joke or not..Congrats on finding them maxxkatt,pretty coo old finds,,I think old coppers are probably my favored coin to find.

Was a joke. But now that you mention it : old wheaties , unless it's a key date , I do return those back into circulation. I don't get excited like some do. I'm hoping that an actual coin collector may find it to put in their album. As I once did....

Our Coin Club does this once a year..we go out and salt the area with old coins...theres a post about it, its something all Numismatic Clubs do on a certain week every year...we put out of circulation coins in the take a penny tray, we toss them out on the parking lot, salt the beach, spend them over the counter, whatever..The idea is to bring an awareness and wonderment for Numismatics.

So yeah, I think somebody salted that court in a good meaning effort to give a noob Detectorist a thrill! And you got there first! Go throw them back this instant!..:laughing:

Our Coin Club does this once a year..we go out and salt the area with old coins...theres a post about it, its something all Numismatic Clubs do on a certain week every year...we put out of circulation coins in the take a penny tray, we toss them out on the parking lot, salt the beach, spend them over the counter, whatever..The idea is to bring an awareness and wonderment for Numismatics.

So yeah, I think somebody salted that court in a good meaning effort to give a noob Detectorist a thrill! And you got there first! Go throw them back this instant!..:laughing:

Throw them back? Heck no, I don't do "catch and release". I am going to keep the suckers. Not often do I find and Indian and Wheat on the same hunt.

Back
Top Bottom