Got me some big silver

BottleCapKing

Elite Member
Found this over the weekend near a site where a mill was built back in 1733. Was hoping for coins to reflect the time, but alas. It was not to be. I got an odd signal that was flipping back and forth between a dime and a quarter. I Was pretty shocked when I pulled a pretty bent Barber Half. Wasn't quite bent at the half-way point. More like 2/3 and at ~40 degrees. It was the smaller part I was picking up since it would have been on edge save the bent part (bent part was the part closest to the surface).

I did some unbending using a c-clamp that was rubberized on both ends. It isn't completely flat, but it very much so flatter than it was.

It is 1908D. I have found only three silver halves in my career. All of them Barbers. (Still waiting for that walker...)

Attachments

• bh1908d.jpg
    bh1908d.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 643
You could probably get it really straight by putting it on a block of wood and pound on it with a dowel about the diameter of your thumb. I thin piece of cloth between the coin and the dowel will insure you don’t create any new scratches. Cool find!

Despite the toning on there, that still looks like the ground was kind to it. If you did some Ezest soaks, a few minutes at a time. Then remove, thumb rub, and repeat. I bet that grey toning would come right off, with zero trace of your effort (ie.: would retain a natural color).

Congrats on the old half !!! Sweet find bent or not.
I scored a 1853 half last year that is holed and slightly bent and I just cant decide if I should try to straighten it or not......
Barber halves are way cooler than the walkers anyway.......I think I only have two....

BCK:

Nice Barber Half. I found a 1898 S Barber Half several years ago in Indian Lake (Worcester) after the fall draw down; I thought it was a fishing spoon :grin:

Very nice, congrats!

Only 3 in your career? I see some of the new guys on FB posting finding 3 on their first venture out. LOL

I'm still at 0, I've probably past on those "aluminum cans" now that I swing the ML more. Definitely a feature the V3i would help with!

Back
Top Bottom