• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Best response ever to permissions request

RockieBoston

I emailed our city planning agency about a c. 1890 house owned by the city, nobody lives there, they're taking bids to convert it into affordable housing. I've been part of the neighborhood process.

We'd require you to have insurance that would cover you in the event of any injury or damage, and we would need to execute a license which could take a while given our staff capacity.

NEVER MIND

I love how they turn it around on you by saying you can but make it more trouble than it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I emailed our city planning agency about a c. 1890 house owned by the city, nobody lives there, they're taking bids to convert it into affordable housing. I've been part of the neighborhood process.

We'd require you to have insurance that would cover you in the event of any injury or damage, and we would need to execute a license which could take a while given our staff capacity.

NEVER MIND

Welcome to the "No one cared UNTIL you asked" club :roll:

Do people ever openly walk or hang out on the property?...

I'm sure they do. And I'm sure it's a non-issue. But don't you know what the difference is between them, and the md'r is ? Simple : They didn't go ask "Can I ?". If they had done so, then they too would/could have gotten an answer similar to the one that Rockie-boston got. Then they too could have started posts lamenting their lack of freedoms and the ridiculous answers . Shame on them for not asking . :roll:

I do not hesitate to hit vacant city owned property wherever I come to. Shame on me I guess :shrug:

Welcome to the "No one cared UNTIL you asked" club :roll:

I'm sure they do. And I'm sure it's a non-issue. But don't you know what the difference is between them, and the md'r is ? Simple : They didn't go ask "Can I ?". If they had done so, then they too would/could have gotten an answer similar to the one that Rockie-boston got. Then they too could have started posts lamenting their lack of freedoms and the ridiculous answers . Shame on them for not asking . :roll:

I do not hesitate to hit vacant city owned property wherever I come to. Shame on me I guess :shrug:

With all due respect, Tom, this is not a clearcut "you asked, so that's what you get" situation. It's not any old run down dilapidated property in some burnt out city neighborhood. This house is about 10-15 feet from the house next to it. It's a well-known property that neighbors have been working to get the city to buy with conservation money and add to a local urban wild park for preservation. The deal went through and I was hoping to get in there before they start tearing up the grounds.

It's on a busy street that probably sees 1,000 cars per day now that the pandemic restrictions are easing and our Boston traffic is basically back to before times. I'm not about to go traipsing around at a highly obvious house without permission while folks sit in traffic watching me, cell phones at the ready.

This is my neighborhood and it's just not neighborly or honest and I can't do it comfortably without permission in good conscience. I mean, folks know who I am. I've owned a house here for 15 years. Everyone got to know each other more during the pandemic when we were all running errands for each other. Folks know my kids.

I'm just saying it's not that simple. I'm letting go of this one.

No, and it has a fence.

Gotcha. If it's buttoned up like Ft. Knox, then .... so be it. I have seen other places where someone could say "fence", yet .... truth be told .... there are wide open gates, or in some way, the fence is a non-issue. Like a orange ribbon strung between barricades, or a sloppy snow-fencing material, etc.... will qualify as a "fence" to some people. But if it's truly buttoned up, then .... sure... you'd technically need to ask.

Back
Top Bottom