My new spot close to home

Barefootjunkers

Now that I got the mapping stuff figured back out I did a bit of research and have a spot I’m going to hit. The area I live in has miles of land taken over by the city of Akron for there water supply on the upper Cuyahoga river. So many of the original settlement farms were torn down and there is nothing but cellar holes and forest left. Years ago I did approach a ranger for the land to get his thoughts on metal detecting on the property and his thoughts were this. “ It’s basically hunting, so have at it.” So I will operate as such till I’m told otherwise.

The top pic is from the 1943 topo available on historic aerials, the second a 2017 aerial. The 3 is a shot of the cellar hole found in less the 30 seconds after checking the maps. Structure was there also on the 1857 plat maps of area.

There is currently a logging crew there taking veneer logs out, and they put a huge stump in the hole. There has been some dirt moved around on the area where the original drive was. But overall a lot of what I think is pretty much untouched ground. Another aspect of this piece is it was river access in the past, a few today walk down that know about the old road going down. Which aren’t many.

IMG_0487.jpg
IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0483.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey you are not too far from me. I am over in Allegany county down near the pa border. Should be all sorts of goodies up by you, but do not be surprised if someone else hit it before you. people like me have been all over this state, I do not think i have made it that far north yet though so I don't think I hit it yet haha.

hey you are not too far from me. I am over in Allegany county down near the pa border. Should be all sorts of goodies up by you, but do not be surprised if someone else hit it before you. people like me have been all over this state, I do not think i have made it that far north yet though so I don't think I hit it yet haha.

I’ve been on other cellar holes in the area in the past and most are pretty much untouched. That being said those were also a lot less accessible then this one. Also there is a good gap i the past that I was on them, near 15 years. Lol so yea there is the possibility but I know they didn’t find it all.

I’ve been on other cellar holes in the area in the past and most are pretty much untouched. That being said those were also a lot less accessible then this one. Also there is a good gap i the past that I was on them, near 15 years. Lol so yea there is the possibility but I know they didn’t find it all.

its never hunted out! Some of my best finds were "hunted out spots"

Back
Top Bottom