Nokta Makro Legend feedback, use, comparisons, etc

I’m glad you kept one of your Legends too. Great detectors.
Really good find too Woodbutcher!!!

I live across from a old church that I beat up for well over 10 years,,and the legend with 6 inch coil surprised me tonight that it could find anything,let alone silver left.

That 6" coil cuts through trash like a laser. The added bonus, is it gets almost as much depth as the 11" coil, but with far superior separation and unmasking abilities. Granted, the coverage isn't too good, but for most sites, coverage isn't important at all.

I'm itching for the 10x5 coil. Once that coil is released, I'll never use the 6" or 11" again.

EDIT: On second thought, I might still use the 6" for extremely trashy sites, but I definitely wouldn't use the 11" again.

Last edited:
Why doesn't the administrator close the BS, air test doesn't mean anything. Go out and dig in some dirt if you're testing and check different settings, not one machine will do everything with the person be lt.

Why doesn't the administrator close the BS, air test doesn't mean anything. Go out and dig in some dirt if you're testing and check different settings, not one machine will do everything with the person be lt.

Oh yeah.
I am stupid and don’t have a clue.

Check this out.
Go read in Deus 2 thread I have here. I talk about what this gent actually witnessed in the wild. I actually can duplicate this what he seen on top of the ground. And I have done showing videos and posted in deus 2 thread.
Here’s real recent video where the gent digging a mask target with Deus 2.
And he even mentions me in video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yQnJIY_umyg

Btw.
The very first nonferrous target I dug in old site after I got Deus 2 did very near ID wise what the gent in video saw- gave 08-09 in meter and Deus 2 wouldn’t turn loose of whatever coil was over. You see I experimented (.elevated scenarios above ground using iron and nails) with detector for few days before going into the wild. Paid off too.

What I have posted about Legend here has helped me. Couldn’t it help someone else using Legend. My gut tells me yes.

Last edited:
Here’s real recent video where the gent digging a mask target with Deus 2.
And he even mentions me in video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yQnJIY_umyg

Btw.
The very first nonferrous target I dug in old site after I got Deus 2 did very near ID wise what the gent in video saw- gave 08-09 in meter

Am I missing something here?, because all I see in the video, is the D2's nonferrous ID being dragged down by the ferrous targets, while still giving a good tone.

As I've previously mentioned, my main hunting grounds are nail infested. To get at the coins, it's a matter of a very low iron bias, swinging slow, and listening for even a "smidgen" of a good tone. ID is not even looked at when unmasking the ferrous from the nonferrous, because the high signal strength of the ferrous drags down the nonferrous ID.

I thought that was common knowledge :?:

Last edited:
Am I missing something here?, because all I see in the video, is the D2's nonferrous ID being dragged down by the ferrous targets, while still giving a good tone.

As I've previously mentioned, my main hunting grounds are nail infested. To get at the coins, it's a matter of a very low iron bias, swinging slow, and listening for even a "smidgen" of a good tone. ID is not even looked at when unmasking the ferrous from the nonferrous, because the high signal strength of the ferrous drags down the nonferrous ID.

I thought that was common knowledge :?:

Unfortunately not all detectors created equal.
Meaning not all have divorced ID, tone, and disc.
Some folks may not know or realize this.

Unfortunately not all detectors created equal.
Meaning not all have divorced ID, tone, and disc.
Some folks may not know or realize this.

There are times when I utilize the ID, but unmasking nonferrous in ferrous, most definitely isn't one of those times. It's all tonal in ferrous infested sites.

Ferrous is a nightmare for any detector lol. Ferrous items produce around 2.5x more eddy currents than a same size nonferrous item. This equates of course, to a returned signal strength that is 2.5x stronger than an equivalently sized nonferrous item. As such, it's rather fascinating that some detectors have the ability to produce a good tone (let alone a good ID) when a nonferrous target is surrounded by ferrous targets.

Last edited:
I noticed in Woodbutcher's video that he was using M2. It's interesting, because almost since day 1, for SMF, I only used M2 on the Legend. Just about everyone else that I witnessed at the time, was using M1.

M2 is much better for not only small gold, but all gold that is deeper and doesn't provide a lot of signal strength. I also find that the higher frequencies get better sensitivity to small targets such as edged, and on edge coins...and IMO, most coins in the ground are edged, or on edge.

Also, as good as M1 can separate, I think I'm finding that M2 separates even better. Although, I could be imagining that :)

I've since found out that even Paystreak and Liam from History Revisited, use M2.

Jmaclen,

What SMF mode do you use and why?

I noticed in Woodbutcher's video that he was using M2. It's interesting, because almost since day 1, for SMF, I only used M2 on the Legend. Just about everyone else that I witnessed at the time, was using M1.

M2 is much better for not only small gold, but all gold that is deeper and doesn't provide a lot of signal strength. I also find that the higher frequencies get better sensitivity to small targets such as edged, and on edge coins...and IMO, most coins in the ground are edged, or on edge.

Also, as good as M1 can separate, I think I'm finding that M2 separates even better. Although, I could be imagining that :)

I've since found out that even Paystreak and Liam from History Revisited, use M2.

Jmaclen,

What SMF mode do you use and why?

I use M1 for general detecting. I use M2 to check the area for harder to hit targets and lower conductors that M1 might have missed. M2 does have better sensitivity to smaller low conductors and smaller targets in general from my experience. I have not noticed a big difference in separation between M1 and M2 but high iron mineralization tends to skew target separation where I detect and not in a positive way even for Deus 2.

Video comparing Legend and Equinox 800 watching ID of clad dime by nail.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Ln9bVo_eM

I am not sure if I am classified as a "non-believer" or not. I tend to just do the test if I have any doubts.

My Legend and Nox 800 settings were exactly the same as David's except that I did the test over clean (no detectable man-made or natural iron targets) dirt from my backyard. So I ground balanced both detectors for the highly mineralized dirt. So Park M1 and Park 1 both using 6" coils.

Clad dime ID is 45=Legend and 25=Nox 800

I randomly picked 5 nails.......4 are modern with heads and are various lengths along with the 5th being a 3.25" late 1800s square nail. The 4th nail on the 2X4 in the photo is galvanized and is also 3.25".

Legend results
Nail 1....dime ID at 41. Tone break changed to all iron at 41
Nail 2....dime ID at 41. Tone break changed to all iron at 41
Nail 3....dime ID at 42. Tone break changed to all iron at 42
Nail 4....dime ID at 40. Tone break changed to all iron at 40
Nail 5 (square)....dime ID at 35. Tone break changed to all iron at 35

Equinox 800 results
Nail 1....dime ID at 22. Tone break changed to all iron at 22
Nail 2....dime ID at 22. Tone break changed to all iron at 22
Nail 3....dime ID at 23. Tone break changed to all iron at 23
Nail 4....dime ID at 22. Tone break changed to all iron at 22
Nail 5 (square)....dime ID at 21. Tone break changed to all iron at 21

The major takeaway from this testing is that my Legend did very well not losing too many target IDs when the dime was in close proximity to nails, much like the Equinox. The only nail that caused a larger drop in IDs was the biggest nail and even it did not lower target IDs as much as the nail in tnsharpshooter’s short video linked above.

Attachments

• DSCN0309.jpg
    DSCN0309.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Interesting to read your results on this. I won't watch his video. I'm assuming you guys are digging in dirt and wanting the dime , not the foil. I am looking for the opposite on my beach. Could care less about the dime and would rather dig foil all day ! Because on a slope or in the wet that foil will either be just that.... or pulltab , aluminum blob ...or gold.

Exactly

Last night I hunted beside a walkway leading into a church. About 100 feet long,I concentrated from the actual walkway to about 18 inches out,made one pass the whole way slow and low,took my time.
So today I read a post from digalicious and jmaclen about how I had my machine in multi 2 ,,from the in field shot I took last night..And I watched tnsharpshooter video on the stack of quarters and watched them hit hard in multi 1 and basically disappear in multi 2..
So tonight I put the Legend in multi 1 and rehunted tight along that walkway like I did last night..And I gotta say I was amazed at what I left behind in multi 2...I rechecked a few in multi 2 and they either weren’t registering or were so distorted I’d have never dug them,but in multi 1 they were loud and solid..
I’m not much of a tweaker, and if not for what got said here and the to video from TN I might never have left multi 2,,so thanks guys for the heads up..Here’s a pic of what I missed in multi 2 last night that I got in multi 1 tonight. Not valuable but they could have been

Attachments

• 28FC8C9E-BFE7-4306-A00A-5C2921397558.jpg
    28FC8C9E-BFE7-4306-A00A-5C2921397558.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 103
Last night I hunted beside a walkway leading into a church///SNIP///

Well that's interesting. I'll do some more testing on that.

Is this the same church site that you said you hammered for 10 years, and were surprised to find a few coins with the 6" on M2?

Well that's interesting. I'll do some more testing on that.

Is this the same church site that you said you hammered for 10 years, and were surprised to find a few coins with the 6" on M2?

It is. I live across the street from it,been my own personal stomping grounds for 10 years at least..I know I've had a lot of machines near that sidewalk over the years,but I can't say I ever had a small coil near that sidewalk so I'm sure that's a big reason the coins are there..But I can say I had witnessed a big difference in multi 1 over multi 2,, especially the ones I was rechecking in both modes..That's something I never do,I'm usually just going out to get whatever I can and be happy about whatever I get..

On land, the only targets I'm interested in are silver coins. I don't hunt for rings on land, because I'm not willing to dig that much trash. Anyway, my test garden only consists of silver coins that are on edge and / or at a maximum of 45 degrees. Most coins in the ground will be positioned like that, and not flat. That's why I almost disregard any coin testing when the tester buries the coins flat. Unfortunately, I don't recall ever seeing a tester doing tests with coins on edge, let alone doing such an edged coin test comparing M1 and M2 with the Legend.

My comparisons of M1 and M2 on those silver coins were done with the first run of the Legends and the original software version. I believe it was v1.05? I haven't compared M1 and M2 on those targets since then. However, I probably should have, because according to some, Nokta made changes to M1 and M2 with subsequent software issues. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I should have retested anyway. I'm currently using v1.09.

I'll compare M1 and M2 again later today. I'll use Park, All metal for the disc pattern, and 5 for the recovery speed. While I'm at it, I'll check the response on a silver coin on edge using the single frequencies.

EDIT: Woodbutcher: You're running v1.08, correct?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom