Garrett GTI 2500

Detectingman

Ok, am I missing something here? This machine caught my eye a couple years ago but last night was researching it again. Apparently this detector is able to accurately predict both the size and composition of a target. While this is an older machine it seems to do things that others cannot with it's imaging capabilities. How come this imaging technology hasn't been added to other machines? From looking at certain sites people are still buying this machine frequently so perhaps it is one that just flies under the radar.

I'm first year detectorist using an ATPRO. The GTI2500 caught my eye as well and I bought a used one on Ebay. It does find coins but I end up grabbing the ATPRO normally and so I have still not put in the time on the GTI to really learn how to use it. The ATPRO was so much easier to use I guess.
Now I have a new Equinox 800 so have been crash coursing with it to try to get off the bottom of the learning curve as fast as possible.
Doesn't make much sense I know, I am mostly using the two detectors I have that do not identify junk like the GTI does.

I also had one and at he same time I had a Minelab Sovereign. The Minelab far out done the 2500.

I'm first year detectorist using an ATPRO. The GTI2500 caught my eye as well and I bought a used one on Ebay. It does find coins but I end up grabbing the ATPRO normally and so I have still not put in the time on the GTI to really learn how to use it. The ATPRO was so much easier to use I guess.
Now I have a new Equinox 800 so have been crash coursing with it to try to get off the bottom of the learning curve as fast as possible.
Doesn't make much sense I know, I am mostly using the two detectors I have that do not identify junk like the GTI does.

Yeah the GTI seems to really identify targets more than anything else out there. Even used they are still holding their value well for older units. The Treasurehound coil seems to be a winner as well. In the Spring I am probably going to pick up an Equinox 800 but this machine seems like a winner as well.

Ancient technology detector, and it is not true "imaging" at all. I see them used once or a few times for sale for $600 or less. It's technology is older than the ATP and although it is still s good machine it has limited uses, like it isn't good for hunting raw gold or hunting salt beaches. That little Nox will hunt all places pretty well.

In the Spring I am probably going to pick up an Equinox 800 but this machine seems like a winner as well.

Come spring you'll probably be able to get a used equinox 800 in the $500 range, and the 600s will be in the mid $300 range...Good time to buy as what's considered newer tech machines now seem to be dropping fast in used prices. .Ill probably also get a used. 800 at a discount in the spring, should be some other new machines coming out soon too which will drive used machine prices even further down.

Last edited:
Come spring you'll probably be able to get a used equinox 800 in the $500 range, and the 600s will be in the mid $300 range...Good time to buy as what's considered newer tech machines now seem to be dropping fast in used prices. .Ill probably also get a used. 800 at a discount in the spring, should be some other new machines coming out soon too which will drive used machine prices even further down.

Would be nice if it got down to $500! I know the Vanquish should be released by then so you may be right!@:cool:

I seriously doubt used ones will go that low, they are still too popular. I did get my 800 for $750 used a few times by an Etrac user who didn't like it last summer. Used AT Maxs are still selling over $500 used, just the popularity.

I seriously doubt used ones will go that low, they are still too popular. I did get my 800 for $750 used a few times by an Etrac user who didn't like it last summer. Used AT Maxs are still selling over $500 used, just the popularity.

Just going on what I've been seeing, and these machines are going on 2 years old now, not exactly fresh releases.
Saw a few 800s recently at 650,, and been seeing 600s sitting for weeks at 425 before they sold.
Just cause you see a $700 asking fee and then it's marked sold don't mean they got $700..Nothing new or fresh about a machine after a few years and the public gets saturated with them, not a easy sell at top dollar.Im pretty sure I'll get one in the mid $500 range come spring

Last edited:
gunsil said:
I seriously doubt used ones will go that low, they are still too popular.
Really?!?! Where? I had one spring/summer of 2001 and didn't like the overall performance, weight/balance, or handling. Since that time, going to metal detecting club meetings, get-togethers, metal detecting outings, or just spotting someone out detecting, I have only seen ONE GTI 2500, and that was in 2000/2001.

CanSlawCartoons said:
Garrett is still manufacturing the GTI 2500. I saw them being made when I toured their facility.
I know they are, but I wonder where their market it? Maybe some select 'pockets' in the USA where they are used, or they are marketed more in foreign countries, but I just never see them or hear anyone asking about them.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom