• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

WHEAT PENNIES , Time for catch and release ?

Dewsweeper894

Elite Member
I believe it's time . Let's face it , there is very little natural stocking of coins for future generations going on. Pay with plastic or pay with your smart phone.

most of us are sitting on copper wheaties that will in our lifetime remain virtually worthless . It's time to re-stock them.
I have no problem with keeping key dates and filling collecting books.
We are talking about the rest of our hoard.
Hopefully 100 years from now the things will be worth a few bucks but for now our hunting grounds leave little opportunity for future dreamers. New young treasure hunters .
Many of these coppers ( that can stand the test of time in the ground) will be approaching the hundreds year old mark in the comming 40 years.
I Am now going to Inspect my wheats for keys and start returning the others for future generations to hopefully find 100 year old coins and the possibility that they may actualy be worth searching for in the future .
I am not saying you must give up what you have worked so hard to find .
But for those who are like me and don't have a clue what we are saving them for I think there may be a fullfilling service that we can offer .
Anyone participating in the restocking program or have coments or thaughts I would love to hear input .
If you do re-stock please post quantities here . I'd love to hear the reports and and details .
thanks , Dew

Not a bad idea... but

I may take it a step farther and do two extra things. First I'll find a waterproof container and put a note (kind of like a mini time capsule) to the next detectorist explaining why it was here like this. may even put a picture of myself and my detector in it. And since we know that technology will improve the gear over time I may even bury it deeper than modern equipment is capable of reaching.

Great idea DEW! In fact, my Wife has orders in the event of my untimely demise to take my paltry silver finds and salt them all over the area in the local parks and beaches in my honor and as an attempt to 'Pay the Gate'! I dont really trust her to do this though, (shes Polish)

I've got a couple hundred junk rings and foreign coins and various bric-a-brac, even the silver rings and wheaties, Chucky Cheese and No Cash Value tokens galore!... I'm certain somebody would be thrilled to find them, so YES, I'm in!

In case of Her untimely demise, My marching orders are to create a concrete sculpture mixed with half her ashes and plant it down off a reef in Bonaire, and also to build a cool little boat with the other half of her ashes mixed in with the epoxy...

Of course, I will be selling all her Polish Pottery and other crapola to finance this effort, and probably all my silver and pennies...I'm German/Norse...This is a big Planet that needs exploring and I aint got time to dink around though..

So maybe I'll sell my silver and pennies and then throw her Pottery out in a park somewhere and call it a day? Sort of a 'two birds' kind of thing? That would be the most efficient:laughing:

I never really understood the whole "Catch and Release" fishing concept though...or decaffeinated coffee, or O'Douls even!...like hunting deer with a paintball gun?:laughing:
Mud

I may take it a step farther and do two extra things. First I'll find a waterproof container and put a note (kind of like a mini time capsule) to the next detectorist explaining why it was here like this. may even put a picture of myself and my detector in it. And since we know that technology will improve the gear over time I may even bury it deeper than modern equipment is capable of reaching.

That would be cool to find. It will take some effort and expense . Here the ground freezes. It will bust anything plastic if moisture can sneak in any cracks.
I'm thinking simple . Take a few along when you go . Leave them in your truck or whatever. Plant them an inch down. Experienced detectors will often pass on shallow pennies and if they make it 100 years they are still in reach .
In thinking more for the new hunters for now and in the future they may be a big deal . Maybe even back hear on the mind blowing finds someday.

I would hate finding 20 wheats thinking I've finally found a place that could hold silver when it doesn't...

Also, wheats won't be the "thing" to look for IMO.. By then they will already have had the technology to see the targets before digging, and might even be able to tell you the breakdown of the alloys contained.. I.e. gold will be the hot ticket...

I believe there is a lot more gold on land than in the water.. Just telling it from the rest of the junk is where the biggest day in the history MD will happen...

<°)))>{

A guy could have a bunch of copper trap tags printed up pretty cheaply...(I used to get a few hundred every year)...with some sort of "Brother detectorist, 2016"....with a call back number if you like,

Or better yet! Your Friendly handle!...Like: "Dewsweeper, Friendly Forum, Post this find"...something short and easy like that....You could wire them to a ring, or wrap them around a penny or a dime if thats what you wanted to do....
Mud

Great idea DEW! In fact, my Wife has orders in the event of my untimely demise to take my paltry silver finds and salt them all over the area in the local parks and beaches in my honor and as an attempt to 'Pay the Gate'! I dont really trust her to do this though, (shes Polish)

I've got a couple hundred junk rings and foreign coins and various bric-a-brac, even the silver rings and wheaties, Chucky Cheese and No Cash Value tokens galore!... I'm certain somebody would be thrilled to find them, so YES, I'm in!

In case of Her untimely demise, My marching orders are to create a concrete sculpture mixed with half her ashes and plant it down off a reef in Bonaire, and also to build a cool little boat with the other half of her ashes mixed in with the epoxy...

Of course, I will be selling all her Polish Pottery and other crapola to finance this effort, and probably all my silver and pennies...I'm German/Norse...This is a big Planet that needs exploring and I aint got time to dink around though..

So maybe I'll sell my silver and pennies and then throw her Pottery out in a park somewhere and call it a day? Sort of a 'two birds' kind of thing? That would be the most efficient:laughing:

I never really understood the whole "Catch and Release" fishing concept though...or decaffeinated coffee, or O'Douls even!...like hunting deer with a paintball gun?:laughing:
Mud

Mud that's freeking hilarious !!!!!!!!
Picturing five years of paintball deer hunting 👀
All the deer would be all splattered with different colors . B
That would be sweet !
But a for instance . My last permission . Worked hard , got permission and its was an old camp fire circle . Pulled 6 silvers but the last trip out could only scrape up 6 wheats . Now it's cleaned out . Someday someone else is going to got threw the time to reasearch and get permission . They will have a sleepless night before . Walk the area and find the site. And what? Find nothing ? We have all been there . It sucks ! One of my wheats was a 1911 the other five were 40s and 50s. I'm gonna put 5 back next time out . Maybe in fifty years they will be with 5 bucks . Either way they will be over 100 years old and its somethin . You kill me Mud , I just gotta hunt with you some day . , Dew

Yeah right! Actually the copper trap tag would be sort of cool to carry and drop at areas like that!!...

"Dewsweeper Was Here,
Dont bother hunting!"

Mud

Yeah right! Actually the copper trap tag would be sort of cool to carry and drop at areas like that!!...

"Dewsweeper Was Here,
Dont bother hunting!"

Mud

yA ! They will call me and tell me about the big fat Morgan I missed a because I didn't re-scan my hole . The 7 of them that sounded like beer cans and you could rais your coil a foot and ha half and still blow your ears off. 😐

Catch and release?
For fish maybe but not money....never money.
It all adds up over time.

For years I hunted newer sites with very few wheat cents so every one was special.
Now I hunt older areas and find a lot more but I save them all because they are still a bit special to me.

Hey Dew, I had a thought, can you do your "planting" in Kansas, I would love to find some of your plants. Oh Yeah, also, could you plant that sweet SLQ you found the other day. Its still on my bucket list. lol

Neat idea. I'm considering planting a few coins in some parks I hunt to gauge what kind of detecting activity goes on there. Might leave a few behind in other places for posterity as well.

Cash them in and play the penny slots ! I do like the cache idea , how about a treasure chest like that guy in New Mexico .
HH

Indeed sadly people dont carry cash as much as they use too. Even at my own college cash is rarely handled. :( The days of metal detecting coins are finite :no:

Indeed sadly people dont carry cash as much as they use too. Even at my own college cash is rarely handled. :( The days of metal detecting coins are finite :no:

People have been carrying and losing coins for a lot longer than they have been using cash cards and other modern overspending technology.
A lot longer.
I think we will all be ok for awhile.

Nice sentiment, but think I'll hold onto mine. Barring a fire, they'll eventually return to the earth on their own I'm sure, or they'll maybe spark some interest in my children or grandchildren in years to come. I value all the wheats I've found and have them all catalogued and sorted. :)

I like using wheats as a gauge for what else might be at a site. It would kind of suck, to get all excite, keep going back, and never finding anything better. Bad enough, some people only dig the silver, and have to settle for what they missed, by being so picky.

Think our coin and currency is heading for some major changes. The dime and dollar bill, are the only ones that haven't been change (several times) over the past few years. Pretty sure pennies will be eliminated soon, least in our lifetime, cost way more to make, than actually worth, need a small handful to purchase anything.

I like using wheats as a gauge for what else might be at a site. It would kind of suck, to get all excite, keep going back, and never finding anything better. Bad enough, some people only dig the silver, and have to settle for what they missed, by being so picky.

Think our coin and currency is heading for some major changes. The dime and dollar bill, are the only ones that haven't been change (several times) over the past few years. Pretty sure pennies will be eliminated soon, least in our lifetime, cost way more to make, than actually worth, need a small handful to purchase anything.
But I love lincoln pennies!:( If we lose the penny we will lose lincolns design! Or better yet if we do lose the penny, they should put lincoln on the dime. I know that Roosevelt has to do with the march of dimes but I'm so bored of the dimes lame design, heck at work i only swirl the dimes jar around to listen for the sound of silver,and even then i find more silver quarters and EVEN halfs dollars at work than I do silver dimes.

I like finding wheats because they give me an idea of what time periods people where dropping coins in an area. I cringe at the though of somebody taking a handful of them and just randomly throwing them around.

Its not the penny but what they signify. :yes:

I like finding wheats because they give me an idea of what time periods people where dropping coins in an area. I cringe at the though of somebody taking a handful of them and just randomly throwing them around.

Its not the penny but what they signify. :yes:

Ya this is a good point many of you are making . I may have to re thing this plan .

Back
Top Bottom