Lost in Ponte Vedra Beach dunes

Yep. It’s against the law for anybody to metal detect in the Florida dunes. The penalties can be severe.

Second, it’s against the law for YOU to be in the dunes. You got off easy.

Third of all, do you realize what a challenge you threw out for anybody willing to help you? How long do the dunes run? How deep are they side to side? Imagine the effort it would require going up and down that soft sand.

Yesterday I was asked to look for a lost gold cross. The owner lost it while on a 9 mile jog. The momentum that cross would have had could easily cover up to a 50’ range. Multiply that by 9 miles and it would take 3+ days to cover the area.

Sorry but I have other things to do.

Yep. It’s against the law for anybody to metal detect in the Florida dunes. The penalties can be severe.

Second, it’s against the law for YOU to be in the dunes. You got off easy.

Third of all, do you realize what a challenge you threw out for anybody willing to help you? How long do the dunes run? How deep are they side to side? Imagine the effort it would require going up and down that soft sand.

Yesterday I was asked to look for a lost gold cross. The owner lost it while on a 9 mile jog. The momentum that cross would have had could easily cover up to a 50’ range. Multiply that by 9 miles and it would take 3+ days to cover the area.

Sorry but I have other things to do.

I think that is the beach i visited last trip or near it and had signs up saying to stay off the dunes and had a planked trail to get from the parking lot to the beach so you didn't walk on the dunes.

I think that is the beach i visited last trip or near it and had signs up saying to stay off the dunes and had a planked trail to get from the parking lot to the beach so you didn't walk on the dunes.

Yeah, and it's not just authorities being jerks because they can. One person walking can tear up enough roots to kill the oats and grass in that spot, which gives enough exposure that a little wind or water can cut a swath through the dune. Once that happens, it's a fight between how fast the flora can grow back versus how much the dunes weather until there is no more dune to weather down. Staying off the dunes is a pretty big deal in many places.

This is the case with ALOT of beaches, kind of common knowledge to stay off the dunes... not to mention, you could find yourself in some trouble when you go back and look for the lost items. Good luck finding your lost items OP!

Back
Top Bottom