If you had to choose one detector for life, what would you choose?

I have only one detector. The trusty m6. It just gets it and simple to use. Had an f75 for a short time and sold it. Was way to noisy for me. Which I fear will happen if I pull the trigger on the nox. I will never sell the M6.

and rightly so! hang on to it.it's still a great "coin sniper!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Fun question. Since I don't have experience with everything out there, I'd have to go with what I know, and from my meager detector collection, it would be my Nox 800 with the 10x5" coil. It's taken me a while to get tuned to it and it to me, but we are one now and that's what I feel most comfortable with. :cool:

Target trace, gps feature, and ID. Machine is built like a tank and basically does it all.

Does it all?
Really.
Don’t think so.
One might think it does all.
I know better. ;)

There could easily be silver coins down 4-6” deep. And using a CTX (and be very skilled) you might not even know they are there.

Sometimes we are blinded because of what we find. Not what we don’t find.

Does it all?
Really.
Don’t think so.
I know better. ;)

There could easily be silver coins down 4-6” deep. And using a CTX (and be very skilled) you might not even know they are there.

The other guy didn't say it did it all. He used the word, "basically," which implies exceptions will exist.

Does it all?
Really.
Don’t think so.
I know better. ;)

You need to learn to read

I could say many detectors basically does it all.
Does what exactly?
Nothing wrong with my reading skills. I can basically read. Lol

I get kicks out of reading here.

I’ll remember this thread.
It may be revisited in the future. ;)

Notice, it seems no FBS 3 platform. Wonder why?
Reckon FBS has been pushed to its Limits? Could it still be missing stuff?

And if FBS 2 is discontinued then what?

Last edited:
If someone only Beach Hunted or only Relic Hunted old sites with a lot of ferrous debris, or only Coin Hunted typical urban locations ... then answering the OP's initial question would be easier. We could select a special-use detector for those individual type applications. However, if we are more diversified in our hunt sites and target desires, and we take on a wide range of ground mineral makeup in our hunts, then it would be better for us to select multiple detectors that would best fit the different applications. The alternative would be to select a good general-purpose detector that would be functional and provide ample performance for the variety of different types of detecting interests and site challenges.

No detector is perfect. There is the old saying, "jack of all trades, master of none", but in today's modern world of metal detectors we honestly have detectors that are a "jack-of-all-trades, and very good performers for most of them". I consider some models, like the Minelab Equinox series, the Garrett Apex, perhaps an XP Deus or ORX, and even some discontinued or defunct models such as the Nokta FORS CoRe or FORS Relic, or White's MXT Pro and several others to be models that some of us would enjoy, you successfully on a repeated basis, and make a worthy selection for a down-the-road detector.

Let's face it, if we like and use the detector today that serves us well, we would most likely use it tomorrow, and then probably the next day, and the next, and the next .... so that would answer the question.

I used to have some FBS models in my outfit, and they can be very good for some of what they do. But I definitely don't consider them a do-it-all detector. Definitely not the pick for the dents iron contaminated ghost towns I love to hunt. So most of my detectors for many many years now, have been very good general-purpose detectors did I could grab and put to work most anywhere and they would provide reasonably good performance that would satisfy my needs. It is interesting however, to read some of the replies to them on this thread.

Monte

If someone only Beach Hunted or only Relic Hunted old sites with a lot of ferrous debris, or only Coin Hunted typical urban locations ... then answering the OP's initial question would be easier. We could select a special-use detector for those individual type applications. However, if we are more diversified in our hunt sites and target desires, and we take on a wide range of ground mineral makeup in our hunts, then it would be better for us to select multiple detectors that would best fit the different applications. The alternative would be to select a good general-purpose detector that would be functional and provide ample performance for the variety of different types of detecting interests and site challenges.

No detector is perfect. There is the old saying, "jack of all trades, master of none", but in today's modern world of metal detectors we honestly have detectors that are a "jack-of-all-trades, and very good performers for most of them". I consider some models, like the Minelab Equinox series, the Garrett Apex, perhaps an XP Deus or ORX, and even some discontinued or defunct models such as the Nokta FORS CoRe or FORS Relic, or White's MXT Pro and several others to be models that some of us would enjoy, you successfully on a repeated basis, and make a worthy selection for a down-the-road detector.

Let's face it, if we like and use the detector today that serves us well, we would most likely use it tomorrow, and then probably the next day, and the next, and the next .... so that would answer the question.

I used to have some FBS models in my outfit, and they can be very good for some of what they do. But I definitely don't consider them a do-it-all detector. Definitely not the pick for the dents iron contaminated ghost towns I love to hunt. So most of my detectors for many many years now, have been very good general-purpose detectors did I could grab and put to work most anywhere and they would provide reasonably good performance that would satisfy my needs. It is interesting however, to read some of the replies to them on this thread.

Monte

I also owned a CTX 3030. For many applications it was fantastic and if I could still swing it comfortably it would be a top choice for general and deep coin, jewelry and relic hunting in areas that aren't heavily trashed.

However, for the benefit of the original poster I will also echo what Monte said above. For higher iron mineralization and especially for smaller low conductors or deep low conductors in moderate to high mineralization and for target separation/ recovery speed in a carpet of nails or thick aluminum trash..........it would be near the bottom of my list. I am not discounting Thebigd81's success with the CTX 3030, but stating it can "basically" do it all is just not accurate from my experience.

This is exactly why I was reluctant to fully support this topic. It innocently opened the door to inevitable detector comparisons. It is hard enough to keep from attacking other people's opinions even when attempting to disagree respectfully. When members start attacking and criticizing each other, their abilities to read or how we make decisions about detectors, car purchases and how we choose to take the time to respond to a topic with lots of words or just a few.........

Last edited:
This is exactly why I was reluctant to fully support this topic. It innocently opened the door to inevitable detector comparisons. It is hard enough to keep from attacking other people's opinions even when attempting to disagree respectfully. When members start attacking and criticizing each other, their abilities to read or how we make decisions about detectors, car purchases and how we choose to take the time to respond to a topic with lots of words or just a few.........

I'm sorry, but I value peoples opinions, this place is a wealth of knowledge about diverse detectors some of us will never get the chance to use. And to abandon this topic, because of a immature flame war would be sad. I love to hear peoples experiences and knowledge about different devices.

I've learned so much in a short amount of time, thanks to many of you. Including you Jmaclen. We can all be respectful, and its been well established, there is no "Perfect" detector. Its like going to a gun range and asking "whos got the perfect gun!!?" haha its silly, everyone has their own style and brand, and I love to hear what they use and why. :)

I'm sorry, but I value peoples opinions, this place is a wealth of knowledge about diverse detectors some of us will never get the chance to use. And to abandon this topic, because of a immature flame war would be sad. I love to hear peoples experiences and knowledge about different devices.

I've learned so much in a short amount of time, thanks to many of you. Including you Jmaclen. We can all be respectful, and its been well established, there is no "Perfect" detector. Its like going to a gun range and asking "whos got the perfect gun!!?" haha its silly, everyone has their own style and brand, and I love to hear what they use and why. :)

You will find sometimes that when a person thinks a machine is the best is because they found their first silver dime or ring, etc with that model. And then they are hooked for a long time on that machine. It is just a matter of stumbling across the target and your machine going off.

It is all in what the person gets used to. A man swinging the Minelabs Equinox that has never used it before would be out hunted by the fellow who is extremely good with a Tesoro Compadre on the same site.

..it is that simple.

I'm sorry, but I value peoples opinions............everyone has their own style and brand, and I love to hear what they use and why. :)

The above is the issue with this topic and is the point that some of us have been trying to make from the beginning. Having ones own style and brand is great if the detecting conditions allow it.

For some who have replied here, they have the freedom and simplicity to use just about any VLF detector they wish in their hunting environment and they will be successful because the ground they hunt on does not heavily impact standard VLF detector performance. They can pick the one that looks the best, feels the best, has tons of bells and whistles or not, is the deepest, the fastest, has their favorite display, coil, color, manufacturer's name or like bigtim1973 said, found their first silver so they stick with it. That is all totally valid.

However, some awesome detectors will not work very well at one location and they will work great at another with the same experienced user simply due to the condition of the ground and/or the amount of target saturation.

So, one person in one area may be able to make a detector choice based mostly on subjective likes and dislikes from a wide variety of VLF detectors. Another person in a different area may have very few choices for a detector due to conditions that are beyond their control. Their choice in detectors is based on practicality, not just on what they like or dislike.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t know how to answer the question.

A big part of what I love (about metal detecting) is trying out different machines - sometimes because I think there might be a benefit (to me) with the “new” machine, but mostly because it is all about the thrill of the hunt. I’m that way about my finds too - once dug I have little interest and quickly move onto the next possibility (find).

I suspect I could be relatively happy with any of my current machines (Apex, Multi Kruzer, Anfibio Multi, ORX, Deus, Compadre) but my mind would constantly wonder about the choice made (whatever machine chosen) and I’d likely lose interest in the hobby.

Other potential choices include machines I’ve previously owned: I loved my V3i and my MX5 (and liked the MX Sport quite a lot) but they were sold and I’ve moved onto other machines, so I can’t believe I’d be completely happy with just one of those three previously owned machines either.

I’m tempted to say I’d choose the next great machine that comes to market, but even then my mind would constantly wonder about the decision.

For me a machine has to be more than glowing reviews from other users; it has to fit me, and my needs/whims. It helps if I believe (rightly or not) that each machine offers something not found in my other machines, but the most important factor is - the machine must fit me. It has to “feel good” when using it, and it has to speak a language that I understand.

In short - I have to believe in the machine.

I’m not sure that I will ever have that much faith in any ‘one’ machine (enough to make it the only machine I own). There have been machines (that I owned) that come close - the V3i, the MX5, the Apex, the Kruzer/Anfibio, the Deus... but with each of those machines I’ve believed (rightly, or not) that my other machines complimented it (offering something not offered in that particular machine).

Fitting the puzzle together (making a team of machines and coils) so I believe I have the necessary tool(s) to hunt the conditions I hunt in, and find the targets I seek, is a major part of the hobby. It’s also among the most enjoyable parts - for me.

For that reason I am unable to choose just one machine.

And that is why I say keep it simple and have fun.

We all have our reasons for choosing that one detector, but the reasons are often very different. I've known someone to go buy an $80 Radio Shack detector and the first thing they recover is a 200 year old piece of silver. I've also known someone who has spent $2,500 on a detector and yet has to find a coin out of the 1900s.

Once we start getting into details of why we chose the detector we did is when the comparisons begin, and the tempers flare.

jmaclen ... We are in agreement about a lot of things, and while I didn't buy a CTX-3030 I had one provided for a month or so. I used the Explorer II and Explorer SE Pro (preferred the 'II') the most, but only for select locations, and only when my body could tolerate their awkward weight and balance ... aka 'feel'.

But their use was far less than my other detectors which all excelled over them in the very dense heavy mineralization and dense ferrous debris associated with the ghost towns I mainly hunted.

Tahtsadatsago ... I agree, I like to check out a lot of detectors and learn what I can. Then, I always put in the time to get to know the detector well so as to trust what it's doing.

Detector ... Quite correct, we all have reasons why we like-what-we-like, and I wish everyone would just respect other's opinions and Not want to argue the fact of get into pushing their selection as if it were the one-and-only best choice out there.

Just for fun I took a reverse approach in asking about likeable detectors, by simply asking for 4 different models (not make but model) that someone would NOT like to be burdened with.

Buying the house here in Texas and all of the remodeling and needed, but unknown before, repair has tapped me dry Totally! Still I decided during the night as I was awake and thinking about what I have, what I have had, and what's available, that I am going to add a new model back into my Detector Outfit. It's been around a while and I let one go this past winter/spring, but I want a brand new, unused device.

Do I need it? No.

Is it a newer-production design? No.

Will some folks think I'm a bit coocoo? Possibly.

But I like it, it's comfortable, it is functional, and I would only use a smaller coil on it for trashier Coin Hunting applications and a few other tasks.

At least my backwards approach to a like/dislike question shouldn't cause any argument. It will just be interesting.;)

Monte

https://www.ahrps.org/forums/read.php?2,24884,24884#msg-24884

Last edited:
I could say many detectors basically does it all.
Does what exactly?
Nothing wrong with my reading skills. I can basically read. Lol

I get kicks out of reading here.

I’ll remember this thread.
It may be revisited in the future. ;)

Notice, it seems no FBS 3 platform. Wonder why?
Reckon FBS has been pushed to its Limits? Could it still be missing stuff?

And if FBS 2 is discontinued then what?

Do you actual detect or just make videos seeing how close you can get to a metal pole?

Name a detector that maps your coordinates so you can see if you miss a spot. Name a detector that can show multiple targets on it's screen letting you know if it is ferrous or not. Name a detector that shows the size of a target on it's screen. Name one that's ID is rock solid.

I can name one that can do all of those can you?

Keep detecting around your iron pole with your clad dime and pull tabs

I would pick the one that is light as a Deus. Deep as a Whites TDI. Can find tiny gold like SMF V3I/Nox and hits on silver coins like a CTX. Built tough like a Garrett and a screen like an F75.

That would be the one I would pick for life.

I would pick the one that is light as a Deus. Deep as a Whites TDI. Can find tiny gold like SMF V3I/Nox and hits on silver coins like a CTX. Built tough like a Garrett and a screen like an F75.

That would be the one I would pick for life.

Time to make that thing, and put it in production!

Do you actual detect or just make videos seeing how close you can get to a metal pole?

Name a detector that maps your coordinates so you can see if you miss a spot. Name a detector that can show multiple targets on it's screen letting you know if it is ferrous or not. Name a detector that shows the size of a target on it's screen. Name one that's ID is rock solid.

I can name one that can do all of those can you?

Keep detecting around your iron pole with your clad dime and pull tabs

Damn, those features sound amazing. I'm gunna look on Youtube to see how that machine works!

Edit: https://youtu.be/mtmL7Eu_0ik

ok, you were not kidding, what a confusing machine... hard learning curve, but what a great tool when used properly.. if I MD for a living, I would own that.. but, I know for a FACT, I would forget how to use it, rather quickly!
impressive machine for sure though, so many tools!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom