• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Steve's detector rod new "S" rod for equinox

aj0421

Elite Member
Here is a look at Steve's new detector "S" rod for the Minelab Equinox. I got this today and have not had a chance to take it out for any length of time but from just swinging it in my house it feels really good. The "S" shaft offset allows you to rest your arm at a little less angle in relation to the ground than the straight rod. Steve sells it as a complete upper and lower shaft or like in my case I just ordered the upper shaft. You can also get it with or without the end cap to use a counterweight. I reused my "Nub" that Steve built for me that allows me to swing really wide and not hit my body. I was surprised to see the "S" part is made of carbon fiber as well because from the facebook pics it looks like plastic.

I will be at the public ECRDA Hunt event this month (May 2022) in Ocean City, NJ on the 21st and 22nd if you wanna swing and test my detector out before buying one.

Aaron

Attachments

• 20220507_152828.jpg
    20220507_152828.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 451
  • 20220507_152806.jpg
    20220507_152806.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 456
  • 20220507_152853.jpg
    20220507_152853.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 450
  • 20220507_152915.jpg
    20220507_152915.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 450
aj0421 -- thanks for posting the pics, and the thoughts; I'm so glad you are pleased with it!

THANK YOU!

Steve

Jose,

Yes, sir -- they are now available. I don't have them up on my website yet, but they are available, and in "standard" or "counterweight-ready" configuration. Colored ones are also available, although the handle itself is black -- whether you choose a black one, or a colored option.

THANKS!

Steve

I got a chance to try out the new rod for about two and a half hours today before work. We had a nice storm here in NJ that moved a lot of sand out to sea. Found a lot of crusty coins all in one forty square foot area. I was actually getting tired of digging because most of them were deep. I counted and sorted my coins and it turns out to be my biggest haul so far since I started detecting last year at $3.64 and one 10 cent European.

The rod felt really good with the 15 inch coil. The larger coil didn't feel quite as big. I tried the 11 inch coil for thirty mins which was almost effortless with the new rod but switched it out so I could cover more area in the short amount of time I had to hunt.

Attachments

• 20220511_133720.jpg
    20220511_133720.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 354
  • 20220511_151625.jpg
    20220511_151625.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
aj -- nice haul, and I'm really glad to hear that you found the new shaft to be comfortable, even with just the small amount of counterweight you were using. It sounds like you find the S-shaft even more comfortable than a straight, and that's good to know.

THANKS for the feedback, and the pictures! NICE!

Steve

I have been using the s-rod with a 4 inch counterweight(Equinox) for a month now and love it! when I am using a 6 inch coil I put no weight in the end of the shaft. The 4 inch empty housing compliments the small coil perfectly. When I use the bigger coils I add the weight to the rear of the shaft to balance everything out. I couldn't be happier. Great job Steve!!

Jose,

THANKS for the very kind words, and I really appreciate you sharing the feedback. What you describe, with respect to the counterweight usage, is exactly in line with how I suggest employing the system, and I'm so glad to hear that you are experiencing the intended results!

Thank you!

Steve

It will be almost three months since I got this "S" shaped shaft and it is holding up nicely!

For anyone out there thinking about purchasing one...don't think twice, just do it! It is night and day difference, more enjoyable and relaxing to swing!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom