Old Button I Dug at a 1901 House. Civil War. I'm Thrilled!

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
I know nothing about buttons. Looks old to me. I googled some images but all the types were overwhelming. If anyone enjoys button research or recognizes this one please enlighten me!
The front is an eagle with an I on a sheild.
The back says "waterbury Scovill mfg co"

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20181009_184552_resized.jpg
    20181009_184552_resized.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 455
  • 20181009_184538_resized.jpg
    20181009_184538_resized.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Really?? I can't believe it! What the hell is it doing in the ground in Salt Lake City?

People survived the war, moved out west. Maybe took his uniform with him. Lots of soldiers went westward to tame the frontier...who knows? Enjoy your good fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know nothing about buttons. Looks old to me. I googled some images but all the types were overwhelming. If anyone enjoys button research or recognizes this one please enlighten me!
The back says "waterbury Scoville mfg co"

Thanks!
Congratulations on such a great find! That's really neat. :thumbsup:
Civil War Infantry button...no doubt. Nice find. Congrats.
Nice ID. :grin:

Awesome find! It's in pretty decent shape as well! My only Civil War button came from the front yard of a 1900 house. I figure that veterans would wear their old uniforms for veteran activities and some undoubtedly lost buttons post-war.

I find these buttons in Spanish American war camps here in PA. Do research to see if there were camps in your area (I think there were). If you find one of those you will find many great military relics as well as pre 1900 coins.

Edit: Fort Douglass was a camp. This does not mean it was restricted to the fort itself. Individual camps here span 3 miles.

For your information, the I in the shield was used by both enlisted men and junior grade officers until 1854, when it was no longer being used by enlisted men. They started wearing a plane shield, but junior grade officers wore the I eagle button until 1902. All corps of enlisted men wore the plain shield button beginning in 1854, i.e. artillery and cavalry.

For your information, the I in the shield was used by both enlisted men and junior grade officers until 1854, when it was no longer being used by enlisted men. They started wearing a plane shield, but junior grade officers wore the I eagle button until 1902. All corps of enlisted men wore the plain shield button beginning in 1854, i.e. artillery and cavalry.

Good info since I was thinking that even if a button design was in use during the CW does not mean it was actually in the CW.
Many military items were use over wider periods of time.

So, your info indicates this button may have been on a uniform as late as 1901, or possibly as early as the CW (date use started?).

Awesome find! It's in pretty decent shape as well! My only Civil War button came from the front yard of a 1900 house. I figure that veterans would wear their old uniforms for veteran activities and some undoubtedly lost buttons post-war.

Thats true. I dug a very rare war of 1812 navy button at a park dedicated to the civil war. I figure some 90 year old veteran from the war of 1812 went to the dedication of the park in 1870

No different than seeing a ww2 vet nowadays
Kinda fun to think about

Good info since I was thinking that even if a button design was in use during the CW does not mean it was actually in the CW.
Many military items were use over wider periods of time.

So, your info indicates this button may have been on a uniform as late as 1901, or possibly as early as the CW (date use started?).

C'mon Waltr! Let a guy dream! Haha. I'd like to think it was on the front lines of the Civil War!

Kinda reminds me of that stupid Diggers television show where those 2 dopes jump around and scream about a shell casing that could have been from Jesse James gun.

I'm still calling it Civil War related. :D

Last edited:
The back says "waterbury Scovill mfg co"

Thanks!

Awesome! Total history uncovered!!

Back
Top Bottom