Input requested

Fran35

Hey all-
I am looking for some advice on a detector purchase. There are a lot of variables and I apologize in advance.

The machine will be a backup to my Nokta Legend for me as well as a primary machine for my 11-year-old son to use. While there is a part of me that would like to get a Nox or Deus II, I am wondering if I should just save my money right now and buy a Simplex while waiting for the next SMF model to come down --which I guess would be the Manticore.

To further complicate everything, after pricing out a Simplex whp, pinpointer package, along with an SP24 I am looking at approximately $500. Then I see that the Legend has the pro package with the 6-in coil along with the pinpointer package for about $700 which is insanely cheap. Since my son will be using it mostly, what he doesn't understand yet I can set up for him since we always detect together.

Am I crazy to consider buying another Legend because that seems like the best value mixed with capability on the market? I suppose I could make the jump and spend another $600 to get the Deus II, but is it really worth the extra money?

I havent used the legend but I know people like them.

I am an xp fan......I have the deus 2.

Have had the ORX and XP deus 1 too.

All are very good machines and are very fast in high trash.

They are deep too and very light weight.

While everyone is selling their first edition deus.....why not pick up one of those? It is a heck of a machine and picks the goodies out of trash very well.

And one other thing just so you know...all of the xp units including the deus 2 is much easier to set up, program and update compared to the nokta legend,

The Simplex is an outstanding machine for the price, but the Legend can do things that the Simplex has no chance at.

If your choice is between the $500 Simplex with the SP24 and pinpointer, and the Legend for $700 with the 6" coil and pinpointer, then I would go with the Legend hands down. What you're getting for that $700, is indeed, insanely cheap.

The Simplex and Legend have many similarities in their appearance and feel.

Where they are miles apart is in target ID numbers, target ID tones and target ID accuracy, along with how well they can handle iron and salt mineralization along with deep target accuracy.

As far as an 11 year old swinging a Simplex or Legend, both detectors to me "feel" heavy...well balanced but heavy with the stock 11" coils. With smaller coils, they both feel much better and should be easier for an 11 year old to handle.

One other possible solution is to get a Minelab Vanquish. The audio tones, target IDs, target ID accuracy and general detecting abilities are similar to the Legend in areas with sparse targets and deep coin sized non-ferrous targets. The Vanquish models are very easy to operate and are very user friendly on the arm especially the 440 with the 10X7" coil. Since they are based on the Equinox and the Legend is very similar to the Equinox, the 60 target IDs on the Legend versus the 50 target IDs on the Vanquish models are very close......closer than the 100 target IDs on the Simplex along with its very brash audio which some people like and some don't.

XP Deus is a great machine, but one of the hardest machines made to setup,and understand..Sure,guys who have used them for years will tell you they're easy to use/ understand,,,and to those guys they are... But not my experience thinking back to buying my Deus 1,,I've used plenty of machines but that one took months to figure out...Lots of frustration...Now I'm really good with it, but it wasn't easy..
Minelab equinox and the legend are more turn on and go,and more of a coin and jewelry machine than the Deus 1 or the deus 2... The XP deus can find coins,and for a seasoned XP deus user they're great. But for a newby they're a relic dig all machine and a pouch full of junk for someone starting out with one..Do yourself a favor and get a legend or a equinox

Hey all-
I am looking for some advice on a detector purchase. There are a lot of variables and I apologize in advance.

The machine will be a backup to my Nokta Legend for me as well as a primary machine for my 11-year-old son to use. While there is a part of me that would like to get a Nox or Deus II, I am wondering if I should just save my money right now and buy a Simplex while waiting for the next SMF model to come down --which I guess would be the Manticore.

To further complicate everything, after pricing out a Simplex whp, pinpointer package, along with an SP24 I am looking at approximately $500. Then I see that the Legend has the pro package with the 6-in coil along with the pinpointer package for about $700 which is insanely cheap. Since my son will be using it mostly, what he doesn't understand yet I can set up for him since we always detect together.

Am I crazy to consider buying another Legend because that seems like the best value mixed with capability on the market? I suppose I could make the jump and spend another $600 to get the Deus II, but is it really worth the extra money?

What are you hunting for and what conditions?

My hunting is relic/coins in medium to highly mineralized soil. Salt water is a few times per year. Water hunting in fresh is more common.

I have considered the Vanquish- but that control box is not waterproof and if it is being used creek hunting by my son, that control box would inevitably be submerged.

As far as the Legend and setup/update difficulty, I have had zero issues on that front. I have heard of a few users having difficulties, but I tend to believe that is user end errors, whether it be their hardware, operating system software, or virus/firewall protection that is causing the issue. I have nothing bad to say about Nokta or the Legend. I wish these companies didn't use the customers as guinea pigs in the product development and software tuning stages, but I understand that is the industry standard and the Legend is very fairly priced.

My hunting is relic/coins in medium to highly mineralized soil. Salt water is a few times per year. Water hunting in fresh is more common.

Due to the Simplex's single 12 khz frequency, it is not going to work well in salt or mid to highly mineralized ground. Well, at least not anywhere near as well as an SMF detector. That rules out the Simplex.

The lack of waterproofing rules out the Vanquish.

Since it would be for your son to use and just a backup detector……. The Simplex checks 95% of the boxes ……. Simplex is a no brainer !!!!!!

I have considered the Vanquish- but that control box is not waterproof and if it is being used creek hunting by my son, that control box would inevitably be submerged.

As far as the Legend and setup/update difficulty, I have had zero issues on that front. I have heard of a few users having difficulties, but I tend to believe that is user end errors, whether it be their hardware, operating system software, or virus/firewall protection that is causing the issue. I have nothing bad to say about Nokta or the Legend. I wish these companies didn't use the customers as guinea pigs in the product development and software tuning stages, but I understand that is the industry standard and the Legend is very fairly priced.

Since you're going to hunt salt water some that narrows your choices.

I would get an Equinox 600 used with warranty left. I think the Nox 600 is superior to the Legend in saltwater contact.

Since you're going to hunt salt water some that narrows your choices.

I would get an Equinox 600 used with warranty left. I think the Nox 600 is superior to the Legend in saltwater contact.

If you are going to fully submerge your secondary detector either on purpose or by accident......I would not get an Equinox anything. I would stick with the Legend. There have been no widespread or one-off reports of Legends leaking. Nokta let the Simplex system box housing be the prototype for the Legend as far as water testing. It seems that Nokta got its waterproofing right the first time.

If you are going to fully submerge your secondary detector either on purpose or by accident......I would not get an Equinox anything. I would stick with the Legend. There have been no widespread or one-off reports of Legends leaking. Nokta let the Simplex system box housing be the prototype for the Legend as far as water testing. It seems that Nokta got its waterproofing right the first time.

Not all Nox's leak... I take care of my detectors and have never had an issue taking it out in the water.... I have friends that only use the Nox and theirs don't leak either... maybe they sent a good batch to Connecticut :lol:

Not all Nox's leak... I take care of my detectors and have never had an issue taking it out in the water.... I have friends that only use the Nox and theirs don't leak either... maybe they sent a good batch to Connecticut :lol:

I agree. Mine haven't leaked either but I haven't submerged them in saltwater.

The OP already has a Legend. No reports of leaking. I would just get another one if his son wants one too in order to keep things simple.

Or maybe you aren't selling XP machines?

;)

Or maybe you aren't selling XP machines?

;)

I have a Nox, OBN Excal and MXT do you see a XP in my sig? I thought about one in the beginning but changed my mind... only thing I would probably purchase is a pulse... I was a very good pulse hunter when I started beach hunting... found a lot of gold with it... I'm content with what I am using... I don't need any new fangled detector to improve my hunting...

Back
Top Bottom