Old detector?

cheddar-man

Can anybody ID this old detector please?
On the back table it says GC-1009, Made in China. Takes two 9v batteries.

I am looking for the manual as I want to give it to a couple of lads who live down the road and are starting out in this hobby😁😁
Metal-Detector.jpg
[/url]anonymous large photo[/IMG]

I heard it was the Nox 900 under the hood. They are testing it but don't want the competition know that it is out being tested.

Well, I just Googled "Target Track" + "metal detector" which resulted in the web site for the manufacturer; Shanghai 21st Century Electronic Equipment Co. Ltd.

Here's the web site link, which has pictures of your detector, model GC1009.
They also have a handheld Security Wand detector, model GC1001.

https://www.ecvv.com/product/794565.html

If I had a strong dislike for someone that was interested in taking up the hobby, I'd probably give them one of these :D

Can anybody ID this old detector please?
On the back table it says GC-1009, Made in China. Takes two 9v batteries.

I am looking for the manual as I want to give it to a couple of lads who live down the road and are starting out in this hobby😁😁

Well, it's been identified. And mocked by several. It is "chinese junk" at which most of the regulars here will turn their noses up, but it may be fine for starting out. Looks similar in features to a Harbor Freight "9 function" I started with -- in fact that owner's manual would probably get you in the right direction if you can't find one specifically for this detector. Features are lacking, build quality is not great, depth is not great -- but I found iron and non-iron stuff in my yard, and in parks and beaches with it.

Put some batteries in it, wave a dime in front of it and see how far it sees it. Might only be 4" but it's better than nothing.

More cash gets you most/all of the above, but not absolutely required to have fun. Just keep an open mind and there's much better detectors out there before condemning the hobby based on this one detector's performance.

Well, I just Googled "Target Track" + "metal detector" which resulted in the web site for the manufacturer; Shanghai 21st Century Electronic Equipment Co. Ltd.

Here's the web site link, which has pictures of your detector, model GC1009.
They also have a handheld Security Wand detector, model GC1001.

https://www.ecvv.com/product/794565.html

If I had a strong dislike for someone that was interested in taking up the hobby, I'd probably give them one of these :D

Thanks for that. I have emailed them to see if they can supply a user manual for the kids!

I'm a bit late to the party, but I've never had any issues with that Manualslib site either. In fact, I just looked at the manual for this rig. It's a little spare on operational details, but if the manufacturer doesn't come through with a manual, I wouldn't hesitate to just grab one there.

As others have already mentioned, if this unit's still working properly one imagines it would be comparable to that Harbor Freight 9-Function rig. It may even have much the same electronics, since it clearly shares many features, including that red button pinpointer function. I snagged one of those Harbor Freight rigs many years ago for 30-something bucks on sale just so my kid could join me beachcombing with my elderly Fisher 1280-X "Aquanaut" on vacation if he liked. I don't have any fancier or more modern equipment with all the digital snoodlets and numeric codes, but having tested my well-regarded old school $600+ Fisher head-to-head in the sands with that Harbor Freight one costing less than 1/20th of the Fisher when new, using a variety of metals at different depths, I gotta admit the Harbor Freight one acquitted itself remarkably well. It certainly wasn't 1/20th as good. In fact, instead of rigging up my whole "gunslinger" belt rigamarole to lighten the Fisher by hanging its control unit on my hip, I'll often just grab the Harbor Freight one. Hence, I still recommend those Harbor Freight cheapos as a starter machine to any newbie who asks. It's just "good enough" to see if the hobby appeals, without sinking several hundred semolians or more into something that'll just gather dust in the closet if it turns out it doesn't. And if "swinging" DOES appeal, you can always upgrade and have that spare if a buddy wanted to join you. Unlike some of the other naysayers here, I imagine that old one you have would prove a perfectly adequate starter rig with practice...practice....practice.

Back
Top Bottom