Silver at last on a bit of a roll.

Brewser

At last a decent silver coin from 1816.
Also found a thimble a few musket balls and a small simply made cross along with an odd led item with serrated edge ?
Delighted with the silver.
The small cross could be a pilgrims badge from medieval times, screen shot attached as a cross reference.
I live near Saint Andrews ( 5 miles ) and as the name would suggest this was a place of pilgrim .
Happy hunting friends.

Apologies as i can never get screenshots to come up larger. The pics are of various medieval pilgrim badges.

Attachments

• geo.jpg
    geo.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 371
  • rev.jpg
    rev.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 369
  • lead.jpg
    lead.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 370
  • pilgrim.jpg
    pilgrim.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 362
  • Screenshot_20220919-221601.jpg
    Screenshot_20220919-221601.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 352
  • Thimble.jpg
    Thimble.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Congratulations on the great coin find. What's the denomination? Also, can you give some idea of the size of the coin.

I love those Silver bullheads…I have one at home with a lovely very even black patina on it and I can honestly say it one of my favourite finds…

And well done with the cross! It definitely looks like those pilgrims crossed…

Thanks Rainorshine.
The coin is a silver sixpence.
Pic next to a quarter as reference.

Attachments

• size ref.jpg
    size ref.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 163
Congratulations! That's a pretty fine looking 206 year old sixpence to be pulling out of the dirt. We all remember that old wedding rhyme for a fortuitous marriage, right?:

Something old,
something new,
something borrowed,
something blue,
and a silver sixpence in her shoe.

In this case, what with that thimble (a womanly symbol of domestic productivity) and that old cross as a religious token presumably all found in the same field, one cannot help wondering if some gal made it from alter to threshhold before the ardent attentions of her bridegroom detoured them past those hedgerows en route and into that soft pasture where those items (and something else besides) were planted.

Oh, and I went to St Andrews for a Junior Year Abroad back in '79-'80.

Brilliant anecdote Bilgemaster.
St Andrews has probably not changed much in those 40 plus years.

Back
Top Bottom