Is coin shooting is a part of Relic Hunting?

SuchMuch

Occasionally I have faced that coin shooting is not a relic hunting for America's detectorists. I was surprised since we do not divide coin hunting and relic hunting in Russia.

I was told that us hunters discriminate all sectors except sectors dealing with coins. Such way of hunting leads to deep coins and coins laying on edge missed. Coin (high conductor) laying on edge and being deep could be rated as a low conductive target and it would rather be shifted by a ground signal into iron sector that is located close to zero (sector with VDIs -20...0). If the site was never ploughed the oldest coins are more likely to be the deepest ones. How can detectorist differ deep object from unwanted target? Deepest object produces the weakest signal. Pay attention to signal strength and if you face iron signal with low strength with VDI -20...0 , it could possibly be a valuable find.
The another case deals with just deep coins laying flat. With depth increase, object's VDI will increase antil signal disappears in ground zone. First it will be shifted in hot rock zone (zone that is very close to ground zone), then it could jumps in iron zone (iron sector that is very close to ground zone) and only then signal disappears. Ground signal is what responsible for signal "jump"/"shift".

To sum all up, do not discriminate entire non ferrous zone and iron sectors those close to zero and close to a ground zone :)

Happy Coin Hunting!

I think most of our Coin Shooters are well aware that they're giving up some good finds. I explained the logic behind coin shooting in the other thread:

Yes, using a lot of discrimination or avoiding certain signal ranges they will miss some good targets. Its a trade off. Lots of hunters have limited time to detect so they're willing to give up those iffy signals and concentrate more on getting as many good finds as possible in the limited time frame.

Other reasons? Some hunters have health issues such as bad knees, and they simply aren't capable of digging every single signal without being exhausted or in pain after a very short time.

For these reasons some folks are willing to concede a few good targets in order to have a higher treasure to trash ratio at the end of the day.

I say to each his own.

The label "coin shooting" and "relic hunting" is even separated here on this forum and most others.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Yes,like Rattle said, we know that signals that are not very good COULD be about anything. That's just part of our coinshooting game...
While we know we are using a METAL DETECTOR we are not willing,or sometimes ABLE, to dig 18" holes in someone's lawn simply because we detected METAL. Most of the people who have been doing this awhile hunt for SILVER coins,and since they are the most Conductive,we can get great depth in most ground,when a highly advanced machine is used. Most serious "silver shooters" use Minelab (insert your brand here______)machines here,but good success can be had with other machines if the operator is very good.
Now,if we are out on pasture,or in the woods...most of us will dig about anything that makes a sound,as long as it's DEEEEEP.:grin:

Last edited:
.... I was told that us hunters discriminate all sectors except sectors dealing with coins. Such way of hunting leads to deep coins and coins laying on edge missed. Coin (high conductor) laying on edge and being deep could be rated as a low conductive target ...

Such-Much, the USA hunters here that you allude to, who have run a high disc. pattern (that knocks out foil, tabs, etc...) are undoubtedly hunting junky inner city turf. So they're "not being a hero" (not going to strip-mine), and will instead angle for deep silver. But if that same hunter were doing some relicky site, ghost townsy site, beaches, etc.... then yes, they'd open up their disc. to hear all, and dig all.

And yes, you're right: a very deep silver coin, or a coin-on-edge, or coin masked by a surface nail, etc... will have stray bounces down into lower conductivities. There is no denying that. But it's a game of Black-jack and playing the odds.

I think your hunting type there in Russia, as is the British style, is almost strictly doing fields, forests, etc.... of old past civilizations. But if you were ever doing inner city blighted roundabouts, parks, etc... in your urbanized cities there in Russia, then you too might get tired of the foil and such.

Here in the USA our history is just much too short (especially on the west coast). So we can not just walk out to "any cultivated field" and find coins, like they do in Europe, Russia, etc....

Relics equal artifacts, non coin items....

Coins = coin shooting

jewelry = jewelry hunting

relics = any non jewelry or coin items found from days gone by

Now,if we are out on pasture,or in the woods...most of us will dig about anything that makes a sound,as long as it's DEEEEEP.:grin:

Good point. Thats another great reason that some choose to only dig targets that fall into certain ranges. The type of hunting we do is often site specific. We can't dig up every single piece of foil on some permissions if we want to stay in good standing with the property owner.

Relics equal artifacts, non coin items....

Coins = coin shooting

jewelry = jewelry hunting

relics = any non jewelry or coin items found from days gone by

I have a different view. When I am at a site looking for English halfpennies or state coppers, I am relic hunting....not coin shooting. :grin:

I think I see where this thread started, but I at first thought , AND have always wondered .......WHY does this forum have a category that combines the two. ????

For the first 6 or 8 months I was on this forum my interests were ONLY ONLY COINS. That's ALL I wanted to see, and when I clicked on the COIN/relic category and saw buttons and bullets and buckles I would get so so disgusted........
Anyway, I still do wonder why we can't have a STRICTLY COIN category ?

Actually, a couple detector companies make US specific coin hunting programs like Garrett. You can buy an Ace 400 or an Ace 400i, the 400 made specifically for US coins with discrim set appropriately. In many other countries, coins are relics. If you find a 1600's whatever coin, it won't be a US coin. We haven't been a country long enough compared to others, for that history to be so. Not that the US doesn't have old coins, but they are not 5-600 years old like some countries.

I practice hunting on river banks which are badly polluted with modern trash. There are 2 ways I can move on and be successful:

1. Get low frequency coil equipped and pick up weak copper/large silver signals only. In this case all low and middle conductive targets (soviet and ancient coins) will be missed. This method is for super trashy sites.

2. Get high frequency coil equipped and pick up weak copper/large silver signals within weak low conductive signals. If site is badly polluted with, let us say, pull tabs I just ignore pull tabs signals should they be weak or strong. And pick up other weak low conductive targets.

Usually 2. is used and brings lots of soviet coins and I avoid digging trash at same time. Some times I'm tricked with halfs of non ferrous caps but it's a minor issue.

I never use hand digging tools. If I want to make small accurate holes, those aren't noticeable, I use small spade on a long handle and never get tired.

I'm a military relic hunter but even when I find coins I still post all of it in the war relic category. I don't separate it by category.

Back
Top Bottom