• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1855 ?? Cellar hole gives up a nice one!

CharlieT84

Elite Member
There is an old foundation on family land that I wanted to hunt all summer but the ticks, mosquitoes and wild rose has kept me away. It dates to at least 1855 as I see it on maps dating 1855,1866, 1876 and 1900. I am told it burned in the 1930's. Someone has used the cellar hole as a landfill- there is a lot of junk including all kinds of metal. A small part towards the front may be detectable after some work but the back half is a disaster. The area around the house has grown up with a lot of brush including wild rose (thorns), silky dogwood, thorn apple, poplar and maple. I have been clearing small spots and detecting. On my third hunt I hit the beauty in the photograph. 1873 half dime. It was down about 3". You can see what the site looked like before I starting clearing. It is a bit of work but worth it so far. I am very lucky my cousin is so nice and lets me have fun here. I have more to clear as I want to try around the old well and what I think was an outhouse. The well is about 30" or so in diameter. I stuck a 7 foot long stick down into it and could not touch bottom. I have since covered it with a metal gate so no one can fall in. So far it is the only thing I have found but I have to believe there is more. Now that it is opened up some I will have to remove the 6" coil and try the 11". As I type this we are expecting 9" to 16" of snow. May be done until spring.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_1024.jpg
    IMG_1024.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 671
Very Nice Half Dime!!!! Congrats I've been looking into a similar place but on a co-works land in KY so once she gets me some pictures I can see I'll probably have to break out the chain saw and weed wacker.

Nice Find!!!!!!!

Mike K "Ohio"

That site looks a lot like one of the farms I have been detecting.
Very over grown with Raspberry, blackberry and multiflora rose. Also has an open dug well that I stay clear of.

Nice half dime. There is more there so keep working it.

I have more to clear as I want to try around the old well and what I think was an outhouse. The well is about 30" or so in diameter. I stuck a 7 foot long stick down into it and could not touch bottom. I have since covered it with a metal gate so no one can fall in.

Those wells make me nervous when I'm out hiking off trail in Kentucky's large state and county parks.

Amazing coin! Great site you've got there. I'm sure there is more. This is what it's all about! Love the site, I would definitely enjoy putting the work into clearing that place in the woods. I'd use my imagination and pretend I was the original settler clearing it for my stone cottage etc... And then find the loot haha.

Sweet half dime congrats! In still looking for my first. I'm sure there are more goodies if you can get through the weeds and trash. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 IHPs and a nice brass bell

The snow melted and I went back to the cellar hole that dates to at least 1855. This is the spot where I found the 1873 half dime a few weeks back. I cleared brush for about two hours and then detected those newly cleared areas. I found two IHPs an 1887 and an 1893. I also found a nice old brass bell that I believe is horse related, maybe off a harness or a carriage.???
Haven't found much here yet but I think there is more, it will take some more clearing to get to new areas.

Attachments

• IMG_1110 front ihp.jpg
    IMG_1110 front ihp.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_1109 back of ihp.jpg
    IMG_1109 back of ihp.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1112 bell.jpg
    IMG_1112 bell.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_1114 all from rose.jpg
    IMG_1114 all from rose.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 348
Very nice Crotal bell. Does it still ring?
Yes, these were on a strap over the horse pulling a wagon to warn people it was coming down the road.

Is it the picture or are the two IHC's different sizes?

Very nice Crotal bell. Does it still ring?
Yes, these were on a strap over the horse pulling a wagon to warn people it was coming down the road.

Is it the picture or are the two IHC's different sizes?

It does still ring and has a very nice tone. Thanks for the advice on where the bell came from.
The pennies are the same size, must be the angle that makes them look different.

Back
Top Bottom