Railroad Pennies

If it was a dime, then it was a wealthy kid, you know, from the right side of the tracks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

:laughing: I see what you did there. Pun intended, right?

I lived a half block from the tracks and we did it all the time. What I don't understand, is how you can not find them after being run over. We knew all the drivers tho, they knew we were doing it and the train was barely moving cause they were switching cars in that area, they'd even give us rides. But, doesn't it make it hard to find them with all the iron in the same location?

As it has been answered by GH the speed of the train makes a difference. That must have been really cool mitcht333 to be able to mess around at the train yard like that when you was younger. I'd have loved that opportunity.
Iron has not been a problem. Im running sensitivity really low, dont want anything deep as I can't did thru all the hard packed gravel. Only stuff close to the surface in this location. Next time maybe I will remember to put my hammer and big chisel in the truck.
mitch333 did you ever put silver on the track or only copper?

Kids did that even back in the old days when I was a kid. I had very little money then so I never put any of my coins on the tracks.

You are a cladmaster extraordinaire now though and you know they say it's never too late :D

mitch333 did you ever put silver on the track or only copper?

I do remember doing nickels. A ice cold coke in those days was only 6 cents plus a 2 cent deposit unless you brought a bottle. Can't remember a dime, but I probably did. Coinage doesn't mean much to a 7 or 8 year old. LOL

Nice flattened coinage collection you have going there, Davedude! I am up to 4 pennies and a nickel in my collection. None of mine were found next to the tracks. The kids lost them at school, and I think the nickel was in the park. Always a thrill to find these, as they bring back memories. When I was a kid, we stopped putting coins on the tracks when we were told we could get arrested for the crime of defacing US currency.

I do remember doing nickels. A ice cold coke in those days was only 6 cents plus a 2 cent deposit unless you brought a bottle. Can't remember a dime, but I probably did. Coinage doesn't mean much to a 7 or 8 year old. LOL

Yep. Someone did it for sure.

Nice flattened coinage collection you have going there, Davedude! I am up to 4 pennies and a nickel in my collection. None of mine were found next to the tracks. The kids lost them at school, and I think the nickel was in the park. Always a thrill to find these, as they bring back memories. When I was a kid, we stopped putting coins on the tracks when we were told we could get arrested for the crime of defacing US currency.

Thanks Foragist. These were a "by-product" of hunting some of the "old" ground around here. Train station area from 1870's and still in use although no passenger activity anymore. It wasn't until I got the first couple home and thought about it that I realized what they were. I have not found anything better either in that area, almost a total bust always except for serious industrial trash I guess.

Cool finds!

Reminds me of being a kid in Olathe, CO when they filmed a few episodes of "Then Came Bronson". All the Hollywood people were putting coins on the RR tracks so they could take home souvenirs. All of us kids thought they were nuts throwing money down!

Back
Top Bottom