• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Experience dealing with an elderly parent with dementia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwp1964

Forum Supporter
If anyone on here has experience dealing with a demented elderly parent I was hoping you could PM me some info/advice links on coping with the issues associated with it and any TRICARE/MEDICARE programs that help. I've had a rough couple months. My dad is becoming a handful and it's killing my mom and causing incredible stress and sleep deprivation for the family.

Not looking for discussion in the open. PMs would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

I’ve changed my views on euthanasia drastically in the last week. Seeing my lawyer this week to see if I can leave enforceable instructions to have me euthanized if I am diagnosed with dementia of any kind in the future. There is a difference between being biologically alive and actually living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IANAL, but I believe euthanasia on humans is not legal in the US. The closest you can come are DNR instructions (Do Not Recusitate, not sure how to spell that).

-- Tom

IANAL, but I believe euthanasia on humans is not legal in the US. The closest you can come are DNR instructions (Do Not Recusitate, not sure how to spell that).

-- Tom

Thanks Tom. I think Oregon is the only state that allows it.

If anyone on here has experience dealing with a demented elderly parent I was hoping you could PM me some info/advice links on coping with the issues associated with it and any TRICARE/MEDICARE programs that help. I've had a rough couple months. My dad is becoming a handful and it's killing my mom and causing incredible stress and sleep deprivation for the family.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

All I can say is hang in there. Life can be tough at times.

Happy Holidays.

We know it is not easy from our own experience being caregivers for my wife's mom for over 9 years who had dementia, it is much tougher at first, but try to stay encouraged and hopefully those links I sent you will help you get the help you need for coping with how to care for your dad.

We know it is not easy from our own experience being caregivers for my wife's mom for over 9 years who had dementia, it is much tougher at first, but try to stay encouraged and hopefully those links I sent you will help you get the help you need for coping with how to care for your dad.

Thanks again for your links and thoughts.

I can’t take this anymore. I get zero sleep. My mom is being driven crazy try to deal with my dad. Anyone had any experience getting someone into a dementia care facility? Needs are way beyond what my mother and I can provide. We’re being driven nuts trying to care for a raving lunatic. Sorry for ranting, but being driven insane by this crazy !!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

I can’t take this anymore. I get zero sleep. My mom is being driven crazy try to deal with my dad. Anyone had any experience getting someone into a dementia care facility? Needs are way beyond what my mother and I can provide. We’re being driven nuts trying to care for a raving lunatic. Sorry for ranting, but being driven insane by this crazy !!!!!

Hey Jerry, sorry for what you all are going thru, back when I was a caregiver for my mother-in-law with Dementia she went thru a several month period where she was extremely harsh and difficult to deal with so we definitely understand.

I just resent a PM I sent you back when you first asked as it has some links that hopefully will be of some help, please let me know if they are not of help and maybe I can research other sources of possible help, if a link for it wasn't in that PM, check and see if your county has a department of aging or something like that and they should know organizations in your local area that might be able to guide you and offer various possible solutions.

I had two aunts.…..one had Alzheimer's which is a form of dementia and the other had dementia. Both were eventually put in a home where they were cared for until they passed away. The aunt who had Alzheimer's was accompanied in the same room by her husband (my uncle) because he had both his legs amputated and needed to be cared for also. She didn't even know who he was but he stayed with her until her passing.

Mods please close this thread. I will not be back to this thread to rant about my personal problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom