Tombac (?) Bell

RF1

I have found multiple pieces of the same bell at several old home sites, but found a whole one yesterday at a new site. Material looks like tombac, but could be something else. The clapper is rusted away. Found the long iron thing in the same location, as well as a wagon wheel hub and a bunch of horse tack buckles. Thought maybe the long iron thing was used to hang the bell?

Attachments

• IMG_20191126_130421636.jpg
    IMG_20191126_130421636.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_20191128_173423746.jpg
    IMG_20191128_173423746.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_20191128_173527732.jpg
    IMG_20191128_173527732.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 472
Nice Conestoga bell.

These were a brass like alloy with a few other metals to obtain a silvery color and prevent tarnish.

Probably similar to Tombac.

Last edited:
I was just reading about them 5 minutes ago,lol..I found one awhile back and watched a video called green mountain metal detecting just tonight and the guy found one and called it a tombac bell...i looked it up and sure enough,,,you got one too..
They were strung across the back of horse drawn wagons way back in the day,so yours might be that old too.nice find,Congrats

The other piece is part of the horse/wagon harness. I don't know enough to point to which part.
Some web searching of wagon harness will find it.

Nice Conestoga bell. Good job recovering it intact. Those old Tombac metals are very brittle and they're usually broken in several pieces.

Surprised I did not remember seeing that. I like his videos!

I was just reading about them 5 minutes ago,lol..I found one awhile back and watched a video called green mountain metal detecting just tonight and the guy found one and called it a tombac bell...i looked it up and sure enough,,,you got one too..
They were strung across the back of horse drawn wagons way back in the day,so yours might be that old too.nice find,Congrats

Thanks. After Googling, looks like it is called a "hame".

The other piece is part of the horse/wagon harness. I don't know enough to point to which part.
Some web searching of wagon harness will find it.

nice one! it actually a pretty big one compared to the ones I normally find.

Back
Top Bottom