Equinox 600 vs AT Pro VDI

jmaclen, Ok, that's fair. The way I read your post was pretty negative. Saying you can't take me serious and how I struggle, one could construe this as a statement of superiority and disregard. So Thus my response. Yes Maybe that was a bad title (vs). What I am trying to do here is learn the nox by matching targets to my AT who's vdi I know. That was the premise of the video. Not to say one over the other or which gets a target better. So that was not clear I guess. As for the discrim at park 1. How would I know that. As you stated...oh wait I clearly stated in the video...I DID NOT READ THE MANUAL.
And yes that was because I was home for 2 hours and had 2 hours to go out detecting.
So yes I will be reading and watching videos.
My hopes for this machine as a partner for my AT Pro are simple
Better more stable VID.
More depth than the AT Pro
Quiet running.
So far even with only a few hours on the machine it checks those boxes.
So that was all I concluded from that video.

Hi Gary,
thanks for the responses to this forum topic.

My apologies about my assessment of your Kruzer experience. It can be a very noisy machine and also is hard to tame. I happen to like the Kruzer series but I am used to noisy ground conditions.

I had the same experience as you with the Nox 600= it just clicked immediately, although I had repeatedly read the online manual and had visited the Detector Prospector site so that I could learn from one of the field testers before I went out in the field with the Nox 600.

As you proved in your video, it is possible to just turn on and go in default Park 1 in some places on this planet and be successful. Lots of people say the Nox is easy. Depending on where they live that is probably true. Just put it in default Park 1 and go. Not where I live. I have to ground balance, noise cancel and turn the sensitivity down to 15 or so or I will be detecting millet sized and smaller pieces of naturally occurring iron in the soil where I detect. In default Park 1 or any other default Nox 600 mode the iron mineralization and thick EMI make the chatter unbearable here without lots of adjustments.

If you happen turn on your Nox and it is chattering with the coil well off the ground do an auto noise cancel. If it is still chattering turn down the sensitivity to lessen the EMI interference. If you experience a lot of Kruzer like chatter with the coil near the ground you may need to ground balance it. It is really easy.

I know you were not trying to start a detector war. Some of the people on this forum might think differently however so I was trying to make it obvious to everybody that you are not that kind of a person, that your videos are lighthearted and fun, and that you are learning these machines just like we are and you are just voicing your observations as you learn.

happy hunting,
Jeff

Without reading the 500 page post replies. I will tell you what I found with my NOX 600 and ATPro just this past weekend and what my experience is with VDI.

Setting was freshwater river hunting in up to waist deep of water. Waves and moving sand with heavy rocks on the surface. (This is important).

NOX 600 factory settings - Park 1
ATPro Pro Coin and default settings. Only difference is coil size. I was using the smaller coil on the ATPro

I did a compare myself. I would find good tones with the NOX and flag them with a stake. Then came back and scanned with my ATPro. After the first run was complete, I did the same thing but with the ATPro first and then the NOX. The differences are HUGE for my situation.

When I scanned with the NOX, I found a lot of copper pennies, a few sinkers, and a TON of rusty nails, and metal wire, and a mason jar lid.

When I scanned with the ATPro first, I found there were a lot more higher toned targets. I found dimes, quarters, and a ton of sinkers.... but what the NOX did not pick up on or correctly identify was a buffalo nickel, 1952 silver dime, and a 1942 merc.

The NOX just couldn't separate out the junk enough to give a good repeatable signal on the silvers, and didn't even pick up the buffalo nickel.

There was heavy trash and iron all along where we were and the ATPro definitely did a better job in the water. keep in mind there was movement of the sands and heavy rocks....

My new freshwater machine is the ATPro. And to be fair, the NOX600 does do wonders on solid land. But it is NOT a freshwater machine in my opinion. I assume it's tuned for salt and salt only. ATPro, I hated in salt water!

VDI was spot on almost everytime with the ATP, and hit or miss with the NOX600 on actual targets. I knew what would be coming out with the ATP and not so much with the nox.

Just my personal observation and opinion based on my location and experiences.

.......This video was to show the vdi of two different machines on field targets. End of story. Not once did I ever state that one machine was better than the other...........

.........What I am trying to do here is learn the nox by matching targets to my AT who's vdi I know. That was the premise of the video. Not to say one over the other or which gets a target better......

I'm not sure I'd stick to that premise given only four (junk) targets compared before putting the ATPro away, the previously mentioned flaws in the comparisons, and not grabbing the ATPro when you finally hit upon those three solid coin signals.

You did state the Nox has "better more stable VDI" but I have no idea what evidence was used to come to that conclusion. The (seemingly) more stable VDI for those four junk targets? Personally, I like junk targets to have horrible, bouncy signals so I know not to dig them. That's what the AT Pro did in the video. How stable was the AT Pro on those three good coin targets? We don't know.

There's no evidence presented to conclude the Nox can find coins other machines couldn't, but that is implied several times.

A better premise? "Experienced detectorist unboxes a Nox 600, tosses the manual aside, starts out in default Park 1 settings, compares a few VDIs to his trusty ATPro, and then sets out to see what he can find on a well hunted property."

That's not sarcasm. That's more accurate than "Nox versus ATPro", as well as more interesting. Despite all the talk about the Nox being a difficult machine to learn, you took one out without reading the manual, struggled a bit at first, and went on to snag a couple of coins. Had fun, too. Success.

For what it's worth, I have an ATPro and a Nox and still use both. Sometimes for very specific reasons, and other times just because they speak to me differently. Both of them have found "leftovers" from the other. For someone trying to squeeze every last coin out of a property, I do think the Nox has an advantage because it is more flexible, but only if you learn it and apply it to the right conditions.

Toy soldier this isn't a mine is better than yours post. You obviously did not watch the whole video. I never once stated expectations or conclusions in this video. Fact. I never once said one was better than the other. I did however state how much I love my AT Pro, but I am guessing you just parused the video skipped here, skipped there, made your conclusions and then try to tell me what my video was about. Nonsense. So stop your supposition and putting words in my mouth and just let it go.You read it all wrong so just stop.
For this being the Friendly metal detecting forum you're being pretty negative.

Last edited:
Toy soldier this isn't a mine is better than yours post. You obviously did not watch the whole video. I never once stated expectations or conclusions in this video. Fact. I never once said one was better than the other. I did however state how much I love my AT Pro, but I am guessing you just parused the video skipped here, skipped there, made your conclusions and then try to tell me what my video was about. Nonsense. So stop your supposition and putting words in my mouth and just let it go.You read it all wrong so just stop.
For this being the Friendly metal detecting forum you're being pretty negative.

Having a healthy debate isn't unfriendly. Name calling is unfriendly. So, that was a good idea to edit your post to remove the name calling. It doesn't bother me much, but if left unchanged it could have perked up the ears of a moderator.

I never said you didn't like the ATPro. I said you didn't make a good comparison in the video. I pointed out specific reasons how and why.

Of course, your video doesn't have to make me happy. You definitely don't have to change your videos just because I have an opinion about them. But, once you post your videos on here or social media in general, then I get to have an opinion and discuss them with others. When I post a video that claims to compare VDIs of two machines, I suspect people will have their opinions and tell me what I could and should have done better. Some of those people will have good points.

Last edited:
The Equinox is really quite simple.

Park 1 for silver coins. Zero iron bias and recovery somewhere in the middle.

Forget all the BS. Forget the books.
Bingo! I found 3 deep silver dimes on my second hunt with nox. Put the machine in park 1, noise cancelled, and started swinging. The Nox is one of the easiest machines to run right out of the box. The best part is that you can tweak some adjustments for certain scenarios and unlock even more performance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom