Been a long time!

DFX-Gregg

Elite Member
Some of you may remember me, I was last here in the spring of 2010 when I stopped detecting. Well, I have decided as I near retirement to get back in when we hit March.... Everything untouched for 10 years... Still have the dfx for which I was featured by whites for my 10,000 coins found in a year and another article about a few other finds... Seems 2 of 3 batteries holding a charge lol... Still need to find my Lesche digger and a few other things...pin pointer still works...

I just found out Whites is gone! Detecting in the forest preserves here was completely banned in 2012, the majority of tot lots now have rubber mats.... and I will never find that many coins in a year again...lol...burned me completely out.

Also unfortunately I remember just before I left having a discussion on one of the sites with a detectorist who used to go into areas with water under bridges... heard he had drowned metal detecting... rip...

I still have the Explorer SE I had purchased and was learning at the time I stopped...

So as I clean through my stuff I found a message someone had written me here in 2011 about a key chain I had found, apparently their father had worked at the company...hausman keychain. I sent an email to the address or if you see me here contact me, If I can find it is yours...just no idea if I still have.

I also still have my old Coinmaster 6000 di (first detector). Well just wanted to stop in and say hi.

I had to go buy a belt for my rock tumbler for a few thousand coins I never cleaned, then I will begin reading these posts to get up to speed.... Looks like the Explorer and DFX have been replaced by the equinox...

Might take a look at one... a lot has changed... as will my goals... wish I could find my old logs...maybe they will pop up...will be asking some questions in the next month and cleaning coins..glad the tumbler started spinning with the new belt...

Some of you may remember me, I was last here in the spring of 2010 when I stopped detecting. Well, I have decided as I near retirement to get back in when we hit March.... Everything untouched for 10 years... Still have the dfx for which I was featured by whites for my 10,000 coins found in a year and another article about a few other finds... Seems 2 of 3 batteries holding a charge lol... Still need to find my Lesche digger and a few other things...pin pointer still works...

I just found out Whites is gone! Detecting in the forest preserves here was completely banned in 2012, the majority of tot lots now have rubber mats.... and I will never find that many coins in a year again...lol...burned me completely out.

Also unfortunately I remember just before I left having a discussion on one of the sites with a detectorist who used to go into areas with water under bridges... heard he had drowned metal detecting... rip...

I still have the Explorer SE I had purchased and was learning at the time I stopped...

So as I clean through my stuff I found a message someone had written me here in 2011 about a key chain I had found, apparently their father had worked at the company...hausman keychain. I sent an email to the address or if you see me here contact me, If I can find it is yours...just no idea if I still have.

I also still have my old Coinmaster 6000 di (first detector). Well just wanted to stop in and say hi.

I had to go buy a belt for my rock tumbler for a few thousand coins I never cleaned, then I will begin reading these posts to get up to speed.... Looks like the Explorer and DFX have been replaced by the equinox...

Might take a look at one... a lot has changed... as will my goals... wish I could find my old logs...maybe they will pop up...will be asking some questions in the next month and cleaning coins..glad the tumbler started spinning with the new belt...

Welcome back! Get yourself an Equinox and discover a new world out there.

Steve

Welcome back... it shows you were last here March of 2009 you had posted that you took off 3 from the hobby and was going to get into that year... ;)

Hey, I remember you! Welcome back!!:cool:

EDIT TO ADD: As I recall you used to have mega clad counts!

FYI, we still have our annual forum wide Total Clad Count going, so join in!

Welcome back! Get yourself an Equinox and discover a new world out there.

Steve
Probably where I am headed... but not sure I need 800... not much into nugget hunting in trash parks... Think 600 will cover it? Or is the 800 a must have?

Welcome back Gregg.---Yes, I remember you & it has been a long time.----I gave you a finds bag once--do you still have it? :)------As I remember you ended up using a Sunray X-8 coil on your SE.-----You are in Chicago aren't you?

Hey, I remember you! Welcome back!!:cool:

EDIT TO ADD: As I recall you used to have mega clad counts!

FYI, we still have our annual forum wide Total Clad Count going, so join in!

Well I will be 10 years slower now...lol... yes so much clad it was crazy... but it was nice to get it all together and get in a Whites article they gave me some nice goodies 2 different times.... they will be missed by some of us.

As far as the clad, going to be a lot harder I heard because some of you having the equinox for a while now! Starting back up in March going to be cleaning some of that clad still...from years ago.

And thank you for the welcome back.... might be swinging a few detectors.... still never learned the se properly but thinking equinox...dfx with the 5.3 eclipse for the parks and still have the excelerator double d on the se....probably change that out...have a few others for that...
Always been tempted to try a fisher maybe an f75...but maybe just add an equinox first...not sure yet...read of several issues with the equinox...and deciding 600 or 800...600 may be all I need...

Welcome back Gregg.---Yes, I remember you & it has been a long time.----I gave you a finds bag once--do you still have it? :)------As I remember you ended up using a Sunray X-8 coil on your SE.-----You are in Chicago aren't you?

Yes if you gave me the bag I still have it! I have a minelab bag and the finds bag. I have the following for the se stock , the excelarator and one other they are filthy looks like the stock but maybe 5 or 6 inch... not sure I ever got the sunray... but still looking.... Sorting things out I think instead of people calling me the king of clad back then I should have been the king of chuckie cheese tokens...lol...

I had all my main finds in a box and did not realize the area got water at some point...moldy...box...

My 2 best finds along with the jewelry I still have in a bag under my matress lol.. sold a few rings... but been thinking about selling some of the jewelry...hate to let go of any finds but kind of nice if they pay for the equinox and not me...

Last edited:
That was before my time, but welcome back!

Thank you this is the 3rd time getting back into metal detecting... and each time the detectors have changed quite a bit.... seems multi frequency is really BIG now...

I have never been a silver coin magnet found some and some nice rings... but oddly enough one of my favorite finds was a 1909 vdb cent...just because of all the cents I dug that year I had all the clad I just kept thinking slow down you will get one..and I did...

I have a 600 and it rocks. Add a carbon fiber rod with counterbalance and it's still less than an 800 and you can swing it all day long.

https://www.stevesdetectorrods.com/

Steve

well back in the day...lol... I had made my own harness and posted here... being a little older now I might either buy one or make another... I see the detectors continue to get a little lighter... but might do exactly what you are saying...

I was looking back on ebay and for anyone looking to justbuy off ebay...seems the detectors aremuch cheaper as the season ends for most of us... November/December area... But I know these sites have some great sponsors and members and bought my se from the site... Not sure if still a member here...but just to show you how some people are... he sent me the detector before I paid! I told him hey I did not send the money yet! He said I think you are fine... and it was paid that day... just wish we could all be so trusting...but honestly sadly we cannot...

But always people willing to help in these forums...what helped me 10-12 years ago.

Welcome Back to the hobby and to the Friendly Forum from Wisconsin's now frozen tundra. I came into the hobby in 2010 as you were leaving. Trapper

Welcome back! I recognize the name and still use my DFX.. Easy to get get into the hobby and best of luck..

Back
Top Bottom