This will make you throw up...

Your story about the newbie finding that rare coin reminds me of the time a few years ago, that during a member-only club hunt in an old apple orchard, one of our members, with only a couple years under his belt dug a 2 1/2 dollar Liberty Head gold coin. Beginner's luck, or a newbie digging everything ?

Last edited:
Check the site again. Grab a Nox though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I helped a guy get started and geared up. Two weeks later he calls me and is whispering in the phone so low I can’t understand him. Turned out he was alone in a field but didn’t want anybody to hear him. He then informs me he had just peed his pants.

????????????

He then tells me he’s sending me pictures

???????????????????????????????????

Well when the pics arrived I understood. He had just found his second find.

An 1876 $20 DOUBLE EAGLE GOLD COIN.

It’s been 4 years and I still hate him.

Attachments

• DC8D6FA6-F479-47CB-96DC-B2FF984A82AB.jpg
    DC8D6FA6-F479-47CB-96DC-B2FF984A82AB.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 174
That's harsh! I'm guessing that guy has pitched camp there by now. All the good finds have been "vanquished". :lol:
No, really; I put myself in your position for a moment, and my gut started cramping. :no:

Wow, that just sickens me. And even worse the gold coin stories!!! Uuhgg. What I'm thinking is how some guys tell of a time when public parks still had many old coins. How they killed it in the 70's and 80's. When will we be saying that about private land? Permissions. What is the future for land hunters? Sure there's alot of land and sure are FBS detectors out there scooping it up. Better get out there folks! Of coarse I'm half kidding in this cynical babble. Have great fun out there The good skills required now are finding such locations rather than a setting on a machine. HH all.

I've only been experimenting with an Explorer II for a month, and I'm sure a few more years of experience might be what I need, but have been swinging it over a wide variety of dirt. I've been doing a lot of side by side comparison over targets before they're dug. So far? The dirt that's super noisy with iron? I'm grabbing the Equinox. I can pick apart A LOT of signals, and very quickly, with it in those conditions.

Under other conditions, the Equinox can't touch the Explorer's ID capabilities, nor can it cut straight through modern trash to hit silver the way the Explorer can. (I can throw the Equinox into 5 kHz to hit some of those targets, but leaving it that way all the time falses high tones too often on mid-conductor trash.)

Anyway, there's got to me more. Get out there and use your experience and patience to grab some coins few other people can.

Excellent post. Yes there's machines that are better for seeing through-&-around iron. But you're right : Nothing can touch the Exp. II for silver in junky turf .

.... How they killed it in the 70's and 80's. .....

I realize there was some "forward thinking" individuals who A) had the latest-greatest machines of that era, and B) Had the foresight to go to hair-raising virgin sites . Thus , yes, you hear occasional stories of the "first ones to hit New York's old town parks, and dig so-many IH's that they got sick of them. Or the first persons who ever hit at the base of concession stands, and/or underneath carnival rides, etc.....

But believe it or not, the vast majority of hunters in the 1970s and '80s were simply plying the school yards for common silver. I distinctly recall (as a teenager in the 1970s) being happy to come home with a silver dime or two. And despite my area being "filled with virgin sites" at the time (stage stops that no one had ever hit), yet .... we simply didn't have that mind-set. Perhaps some others did. But the vast majority of people I saw/met, were simply angling for silver roosies, mercs, washingtons, etc....

When I look back on it, I KICK MYSELF for not having gotten hard-core, back when no one else was doing it. I even recall going to a certain stage stop area, and digging several rimfires, lead-globs, a pistol ball, etc.... And thinking "this sucks". (Because I hadn't immediately bagged any coins). So I quit the spot, and went into town to hunt the school yard (where I could be assured to get a silver dime, if I wanted). It wasn't till ~20 yrs. later (after I'd progressed through the ranks to hardcore) that I returned to the site, and spent hours dealing with those pesky rimfires, pistol balls, etc.... that I began to get reales and early seateds.

And even those persons who had "wised up" and were hunting virgin ghost towns back then in the late 1960s to mid 1970s: Don't forget that they were swinging dinosaurs. So ... a typical day might be a single seated dime or whatever. Because they struggled to get a few inches deep, and had no form of disc, etc.... Then 30 yrs. later, the tallies are STILL THE SAME AT THE SAME SPOTS : you "struggle to get a single seated". Doh !

I realize there was some "forward thinking" individuals who A) had the latest-greatest machines of that era, and B) Had the foresight to go to hair-raising virgin sites . Thus , yes, you hear occasional stories of the "first ones to hit New York's old town parks, and dig so-many IH's that they got sick of them. Or the first persons who ever hit at the base of concession stands, and/or underneath carnival rides, etc.....

But believe it or not, the vast majority of hunters in the 1970s and '80s were simply plying the school yards for common silver. I distinctly recall (as a teenager in the 1970s) being happy to come home with a silver dime or two. And despite my area being "filled with virgin sites" at the time (stage stops that no one had ever hit), yet .... we simply didn't have that mind-set. Perhaps some others did. But the vast majority of people I saw/met, were simply angling for silver roosies, mercs, washingtons, etc....

When I look back on it, I KICK MYSELF for not having gotten hard-core, back when no one else was doing it. I even recall going to a certain stage stop area, and digging several rimfires, lead-globs, a pistol ball, etc.... And thinking "this sucks". (Because I hadn't immediately bagged any coins). So I quit the spot, and went into town to hunt the school yard (where I could be assured to get a silver dime, if I wanted). It wasn't till ~20 yrs. later (after I'd progressed through the ranks to hardcore) that I returned to the site, and spent hours dealing with those pesky rimfires, pistol balls, etc.... that I began to get reales and early seateds.

And even those persons who had "wised up" and were hunting virgin ghost towns back then in the late 1960s to mid 1970s: Don't forget that they were swinging dinosaurs. So ... a typical day might be a single seated dime or whatever. Because they struggled to get a few inches deep, and had no form of disc, etc.... Then 30 yrs. later, the tallies are STILL THE SAME AT THE SAME SPOTS : you "struggle to get a single seated". Doh !

Thanks for clarifying that Tom.

Get a DEUS. Cuts through iron very well. Just got one myself. Sold my Equi 800( very good machine) after my first outing with the DEUS. Have pulled up a lot of goodies with the Deus, I went over with the Equi. I would have kept the equi, but my ears could not adjust to the tones.

Dug that same coin, my avatar, and was told only about 800 known to exist. Point being, I've dug some great coins and relics at that site after that find, 2 killer Seated just this year. So really its just getting started, get after it and good luck.

kind of like the story in UK where guy buys a entry level detector and on his first hunt digs a large cache of old coins worth a fortune. Made all the experienced guys a little ill. They even featured this or one like in in the TV series "The Detectorists". Lance and Andy were sick when they heard about it on TV.

Back
Top Bottom