• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

MD'ing headphones VS Normal brand headphones

mrbensteele

why are special issue headphones superior to others, is it because they possess superior acoustic capabilities towards the tone ranges that metal detectors use?

Or do the major MD headphone makers just employ higher quality speakers and other components, or are they just the same as regular headphones with fancier construction and marketing?
I myself bought a 10 dollar pair of duel volume Coby brand stereo and they are as good as my Koss brand ones, those being regular CD player style stereo ones, and the same quality as my my Skull candy ear buds. The only regular kind ive had that had better sound quality and volume potential were a pair of Jenson brand.

Has anyone had such success with non Metal Detecting brand headphones?

Lol

I've too thought about this. I bet a pair of skull candy work just as good if not better than grey ghost, killer bees etc etc being high brand headphones. I don't buy into specialty headphones by cool looks or labels

:)

In fact with my whites mxt-pro I've used my cell phone ear buds and they work the same as did the whites 99$ headphones. Than I tried black widows and no sound difference. It's all about marketing for these company's. I currently use treasure wise 21 dollar headphones. They have dual volume, good comfort, stero mono switch and great cable length. I can't see spending 150 on new amphibian grey ghost when my 21$ units work same and if they break I can get another pair for 21$ and still not invested close to those crazy high price other models.

I hunted awhile using earbuds. It was very frustrating relic hunting in wooded areas because they would constantly snag and yank out of my ears (hurts the eardrums too). I then tried a normal styled full enclosure type of headphones, but found the cord was too long, straight, delicate and would get in the way. Almost cut it accidentally with my lesche numerous times. Now I own a pair of Killer B stingers. I love them because they seem very durable and the cord is tightly coiled,thick, and doesn't get in the way while digging. The sound is more crisp than the earbuds but not much different than other normal headphones I used. But I mainly like them for the design and toughness factor. I got a good deal on the Killer B's from a hunting buddy, but I might have to check out those treasure wise phones as a backup.
Ya try them out you will be amazed :)

for those of us on the 'poor' side, we'll use what we can get. i just recently replaced a pair of maxells i'd had forever (the foam was even gone from both sides...) with some panasonics that are really similar. just regular type earphones.

Skwerly, If you have a Big Lots near you they have several cheap and good headphone, got my Coby Duel Volume ones there, $10 and change, work great. They also sell them on amazon too, at least when i bought mine from Big Lots it was listd on amazon too. Give them a go, very cheap so its no a big loss if you arent happy. Im very poor too, rely on Workers Compensation cuz I can only work a few hours daily, so WC makes up the difference that I cant work. These headphones are great and are well housed, but bad on hot days, too sealed, cause ears to warm up too much as expected. Hope more chime in to express their opinions, really wanna get some more opinions for this discussion.

There is a very big difference between cheap headphones and purpose-made detector headphones. Will the cheap one work? yes, but not as well. The first major difference to the speaker cone. Cheap headphones use paper which will tear and warp from humidity. Good ones use mylar or something else that won't be affected by humidity. Metal detector phones should also feature extra-long and coiled cord and it should be extra thick so that it can withstand hunting in the woods and not be in your way when setting the detector down to dig. They should also have individual volume control. They should also feature a high impedance , 100 ohm or more. This does 2 things; it gives a better sound quality and it reduces the drain on the batteries you get from cheap, 8 ohm speakers.

haed phones

Ya try them out you will be amazed :)

I think you are on to something. I use the standard cheap head phones offerd. I have a hearing loss from the army and merchant marines( engine room) why would better head phones help me. I've been thinking of using the ear buds. what do you think.

I don't know, but doubt any metal detector puts out 'hi-fidelity' stereo tones, for which the subtleties would be lost, with lesser headphones, or poorly educated lower-class. The tones are simple, digitally produced, and will sound about the same. Never really cared much for headphones, before metal detecting. Hated being on a leash from the beginning. Went wireless, with Bluetooth earpiece, and a $35 transmitter. Could be a little louder, but get all the same information as with headphones. I like keeping one ear open, so I know what's going on around me.

You pay a little something, just for a brand name, or logo. I done factory/warehouse work all my life, and you learn that the exact same product, can have many different brand names and logos, and a huge price difference. Have some doubts about brand names and quality these days. Just because you pay more, doesn't mean it's actually any better under the label, nor guarantee you are going to be more successful. I can understand brand loyalty, and match sets of equipment, just don't do it myself, just has to be functional.

I don't know, but doubt any metal detector puts out 'hi-fidelity' stereo tones, for which the subtleties would be lost, with lesser headphones, or poorly educated lower-class. The tones are simple, digitally produced, and will sound about the same. Never really cared much for headphones, before metal detecting. Hated being on a leash from the beginning. Went wireless, with Bluetooth earpiece, and a $35 transmitter. Could be a little louder, but get all the same information as with headphones. I like keeping one ear open, so I know what's going on around me.

You pay a little something, just for a brand name, or logo. I done factory/warehouse work all my life, and you learn that the exact same product, can have many different brand names and logos, and a huge price difference. Have some doubts about brand names and quality these days. Just because you pay more, doesn't mean it's actually any better under the label, nor guarantee you are going to be more successful. I can understand brand loyalty, and match sets of equipment, just don't do it myself, just has to be functional.
i agree

Back
Top Bottom