Curious

I just moved to Ohio from Rhode Island.. and no, i have never been metal detecting.. was just curious about what one could do with the coins they find to put them back into circulation or get face value at the very least. i would love to go metal detecting, but i don't have the money right now to buy the equipment.. also, i don't think Ohio has much to offer - especially where i am.. Cincinnati.

I tumble and spend ALL my clad. Mostly find 10 peso coins, worth about 50 cents US, I spend them at the gas station, at the convenience store, etc. I have even paid my electric bill with beach coins, the elec company has machines in the lobby which are open 24 hours a day, i go in and pump the coins in to the machine and pay my bill in under 10 minutes. I have zero problems using coin for purchases, it's valid currency...

I tumble my clad then deposit them in the bank (in rolls of course). So far I haven't had a problem. I do try to avoid digging pennies. A lot of times, they're corroded and not worth anything.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Many of us dig our share of corroded coins like Zincolns and also plenty of metal trash like nails and pull-tabs, but occasionally if you dig a silver coin or an older coin it makes you want to keep looking :lol:

.....besides the above it helps to have the attitude that this is meant to simply be a fun hobby, not a get rich quick scheme :lol:, (though some do manage to do well at digging a lot of clad), while I prefer to dig at least a few coins per hunt, I still enjoy the hunt regardless, it is a fun way to get fresh air and exercise !

I did a lot of nasty looking coins. I clean them. Take them to the bank and exchange them for 100 dollar bills. I USE THE BILLS to pay for things i want or maybe need and some times just to pay for vacations. And i keep some of them in my gun safe in case i need a new bang stick.

who said you cant do anything with nasty coins.

Way too many “cants” ! Actually, you can !

I agree. The list of good reasons on "Why metal detecting?" is long IMO.

Some spend money chasing a little white ball around the grass all day and go home frustrated and with less then what they started with.

As others have said you can tumble them. The best part is not knowing what you will find. I have a nox 600, that 12/13 signal could be a nickel, pull tab, or even a ring. It is an addicting hobby and one of few I know that pays you while you do it. For me it is like opening Christmas presents, some things you find will be duds, others will be good, some will be excellent, and a few will be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom