Old House Fair Game?

Mistersippi

So I was recently looking at my onX Hunt app and came across an older house that’s property belongs to the city. Is the yard around the house fair game to metal detect or do you think I should stay away?

So I was recently looking at my onX Hunt app and came across an older house that’s property belongs to the city. Is the yard around the house fair game to metal detect or do you think I should stay away?

City owns it ? Go for it.

You sure it’s city property? Sometimes they put a leun on it but don’t actually own it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure it’s city property? Sometimes they put a leun on it but don’t actually own it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is listed as being owned by city of “city name”. All the other old homes are listed as a person or some weird city society or what not but this one isn’t. I feel like I recall it having a green historic sign out front though which makes me weary about detecting it if it does.

If it's completely abandoned and in disrepair, I say go for it.

If there's a bit of a legal gray area, and you happen to detect anyway and unearth buried treasure, hire an attorney.

No big deal.

EDIT: I forgot to add, in my state (Florida), if a property appears abandoned and there are no clear "no trespass" warning signs posted or the property isn't fenced in, then it's fair game. I'm not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice.

If anybody asks, just tell them "Tom said it was OK" I'm amazed how often that works. I've only had one person ask "who's Tom". I hunt city owned property unless it's fenced or obvious you shouldn't be there. The government property around here is well marked if they don't want you there.

Wearing one of the bright green high res safety vests is great camouflage on city owned properties, act like you belong there and must people will assume you do. Unless your'e doing something stupid the worst that can happen is you might be told to leave.

If it's completely abandoned and in disrepair, I say go for it.

If there's a bit of a legal gray area, and you happen to detect anyway and unearth buried treasure, hire an attorney.

No big deal.

EDIT: I forgot to add, in my state (Florida), if a property appears abandoned and there are no clear "no trespass" warning signs posted or the property isn't fenced in, then it's fair game. I'm not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice.

Thanks beachclad! I do a little detecting in Florida a couple times a year myself! If I ever find that buried treasure that’s one of those “get a lawyer” moments you speak of, nobody will know I’ve dug it other than me until I die and my collection and paperwork goes to my family! Unless it’s a bunch of gold bullion! Then I’m gonna have to devise a way to sell and spend it!

If anybody asks, just tell them "Tom said it was OK" I'm amazed how often that works. I've only had one person ask "who's Tom". I hunt city owned property unless it's fenced or obvious you shouldn't be there. The government property around here is well marked if they don't want you there.

Wearing one of the bright green high res safety vests is great camouflage on city owned properties, act like you belong there and must people will assume you do. Unless your'e doing something stupid the worst that can happen is you might be told to leave.

Haha scooterjim! Luckily it didn’t come down the that!

Back
Top Bottom