Help ID SW Va Wagon Trail Find

roavadetector

Forum Supporter
An interesting find.

Found this hunting an old wagon trail. It appears to be bronze or brass. Anyone have a idea what it might be

Pen for size reference

Attachments

• 20190208_131205.jpg
    20190208_131205.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 704
  • 20190208_131240.jpg
    20190208_131240.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 619
  • 20190208_131249.jpg
    20190208_131249.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 608
Looks like a type of hanger. Drive the long end into a piece of wood with the "L" pointed up and hang things on it. Does the butt part show evidence of hammer marks?

Looks like a type of hanger. Drive the long end into a piece of wood with the "L" pointed up and hang things on it. Does the butt part show evidence of hammer marks?
I think you may be on the right track. I know I've seen this before but I just can't place it.

Cliff

I have seen similar hangers in an old barn in ME. All hand made and just pounded into a beam.

I don't agree with the hanger idea, or anything else that has to do with hammering.. It would be made of steel or iron for that, brass wouldn't hold up well as a hanger..

Almost looks like a scribe, maybe a piece to a homemade adjustable compass used for woodworking, making circles?

<°)))>{

It doesn't look like brass to me. Maybe it's the pictures but......

The hanger idea is the most probable. It doesn't need to be pounded in very deep for a temporary hang up.

Cliff

Wow, some great ideas and suggestions.

I do see some gouges in the long end tip.

If anyone would like the original resolution pictures..Just let me know..I can email them to you for a closer inspection

rustyk1. No hammer marks at all

Could be some sort of pulling tool. Long shank driven into pole, then pole used to reach something, poke/grab it, then pull with handle. Like sheets of lumber etc..

Maybe a toolbench dog. They are made of wood, brass, or steel.

Attachments

• E8E9137F-A63B-4714-BF9C-650D1C11EC96.jpeg
    E8E9137F-A63B-4714-BF9C-650D1C11EC96.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 488
It appears to have some sort of mechanical function to me, possibly a larger clock component, or maybe a trap trigger....who knows.....?

It appears to have some sort of mechanical function to me, possibly a larger clock component, or maybe a trap trigger....who knows.....?

I considered the clock part myself..

I was pouring over the pictures, and it seem to have an edge in the corner, like a mini gusset.

I am perplexed, but interesting find none the less

Darn thing looks familiar but can't put my finger on it. I originally thought about the workbench dog but it is rather small. Wonder if it could have been made to slide through a small hasp to hold a cabinet or some other door closed?

Back
Top Bottom