Snow hunt equals 52 Grams of Silver goodness !!

SoOregonMd

Elite Member
Braved the Snow this morning in Ashland Oregon which is about the oldest area around here. When I got there is started Snowing pretty hard and the snow was weighing down my Coil making it hard to swing, so I took to the Tree's.
about 10 minutes in I found this Tree that the exposed roots formed a hollow in the shape of a U. Was the strangest thing and In hindsight wish I had taken a picture of it. This area was about a 3 feet wide 4 feet long and about 18" from ground to top of the root.
Started swinging in there and immediately got a penny signal. Then another, and another. then I got a Dime and got out of the tree. Went around to the other side and found a few more clad coins. Stuck my Coil back in the area and got a quarter. I am like oh heck yes this is the "Giving Tree".

Well kept looking and in a hidden sort of corner I got a nice quarter signal but was pretty choppy so I decided to investigate. Got down and started digging and about 4" down I pulled out this necklace. It was quite tarnished and wasn't really sure what the heck it was as it is quite an unusual necklace due to it's size.

Well after about an hour of just pulling pennies and avoiding the snow I took off and headed home.

Got home and started cleaning the necklace and gave it the old aluminum foil, boiling water and Baking Soda wash and got the tarnish off. I then pulled out my test kit and did the following as it is unmarked.

First I scratched my stone as Hard as I could and did a Silver test.. Dark Red
Next I did a test with 18k Acid and it was a Milky white and stayed that way.
Next I took some bleach and tested a small area and it tarnished very quickly.

So It passed all of my tests for Silver and is solid through out each strand as in not plated. What purity.. I have no idea but I am happy with my find.. It is for sure the biggest piece of silver weight wise I have ever found.

Dimensions are
32" long
about 3/8" thick in little strands of rope.
Weighs 52.57 Grams

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting all.

Attachments

• Silver Necklace 2.jpg
    Silver Necklace 2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 540
  • Silver Necklace 4.jpg
    Silver Necklace 4.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 493
NEAT !!!! Congrats !!!! …..I'd check that general area again later on !

…..wonder how many silver coins it'd take to equal that ! :lol:

SCORE!! You found a giving tree! A gusher! Ye olde Tannenbaum. It seems Mother Nature wanted you to have that. Congrats.

:laughing: Nice !

Cool find!

Thanks Bowler

NEAT !!!! Congrats !!!! …..I'd check that general area again later on !

…..wonder how many silver coins it'd take to equal that ! :lol:

Thanks GKL !
9 Silver Quarters or 23 Silver dimes

Wowzers heavy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Uga !!

Wowzers! All those targets in that one little cubby! Must be some sort of love nest? Possible private woods latrine near a trail?

Is it on a hillside with a south or west facing exposure? Something about that location and structure is attracting Humans to it, and precipitating multiple drops...

Do a little research on that rootball spot to see if you can figure out what about it has an attraction to Humans...

Thats a really great find there MD!

Last edited:
Braved the Snow this morning in Ashland Oregon which is about the oldest area around here. When I got there is started Snowing pretty hard and the snow was weighing down my Coil making it hard to swing, so I took to the Tree's.

Mud Puppy shared the garbage bag around the coil trick with me on one of my firsts posts. Works like a charm for keeping the snow off the coil.

Wow, that’s huge - congrats!

That is nice!

Hi yo Silver !!! That's a big chunk of silver. Congrats on a nice find.

WOW ,,,, Congrats on a nice looking chain,,, :wow:

One nice recovery. Congrats! Trapper

Congrats on a large chunk of silver. You don't find that just any day.

Excellent hunting there, really nice hunk of silver. Congrats!

Whoa! Now that's a nice chain. Congratulations.

Thanks Guys !!!

Wowzers! All those targets in that one little cubby! Must be some sort of love nest? Possible private woods latrine near a trail?

Is it on a hillside with a south or west facing exposure? Something about that location and structure is attracting Humans to it, and precipitating multiple drops...

Do a little research on that rootball spot to see if you can figure out what about it has an attraction to Humans...

Thats a really great find there MD!

Right by a Creek I think it is just a SUPERB Picture taking local as in the subject gets inside the Cubby to have his friend snap a cool hiking pic.

As to the chain.. weirdest spot for it to "fall" it was tucked away and all balled up as if someone put it there on purpose to stash it. My wife says it looks like it was ripped from someone's neck.. makes me wonder if someone didn't steal it and stash it to come back later..

Mud Puppy shared the garbage bag around the coil trick with me on one of my firsts posts. Works like a charm for keeping the snow off the coil.

Oh don't you for a second think that I didn't think of Mr. Mudpuppy's bag the ole coil trick.. I just didn't happen to bring one with me and I DID search the trash can :lol:

Back
Top Bottom