Pulling out the goods with a White's Surfmaster Pi **UPDATE** Cleaned Up 14k Band Pics On Page 2 **

Slimpickuns

Forum Supporter
Last year I bought an old White's Surfmaster PI and hadn't officially put it through it's paces yet so last Sunday instead of watching the Patriots win the Superbowl again, I decided it was time to give it a good field test in some thick black sand conditions at a beach that is notorious for it. My trusty Sov. GT is pretty much rendered useless at this beach, even with the sensitivity all the way down and the coil lifted up, its still a difficult spot to hunt. With the PI I was able to detect all areas of the slope with no issues and was able to pull out a couple of 14k gold rings for a total of 7.7 grams, 6 silvas, a decent amount of crusty clad, fishing lead, and of coarse lots of rusty bits of trash. I gotta say, a PI is an essential tool in every beach hunter's arsenal. :yes:

Thanks for looking, GL & HH!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 795
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 757
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 758
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 759
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 725
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 767
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 754
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 694
Last edited:
Nice hunt no doubt. Yes that’s why I will never sell my sand shark as every beach hunter does need a pi in their arsenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know it! There is no one detector that is the All-in-One tool. Each environment needs a star. Go figure why I have 15 detectors. I was thinking of selling off a couple but have not gotten around to it yet as I know I will need "that" detector tomorrow.

Nice rings! If only we could have everyone take out their trash when they leave the beach we could spend more time digging the treasures.

Good hunt and yes, on highly mineralized ground a good PI works.

Any idea what that largish disk is? It is bigger than a quarter and looks to be copper so thinking Large Cent but we all know California doesn't have any LCs.

Nice hunting Slim... I like that old band design... Felix is going to be distraught that you put those pennies named after him in the trash heap :lol:

Great to see some CA finds. Good report. Good pix ! And yes: there are times when a pulse machine is the only way to cut some black zones.

Question: What would you say the ratio was, of nails/iron-to conductive targets ?

Because up where I'm at (Monterey bay beaches), no one (well ..... very few) are using pulse machines. Because at most of the beaches, they would end up pulling their hair out. Perhaps our beaches had more cross-over industrial/commercial history, thus more nails ? A few extremely touristy beaches here can sometimes be less-punishing.

Also, we simply don't have enough jet-black zones (with a few gully-wash entry point exceptions) to mandate pulse.

I guess So. CA beaches are more touristy , thus less punishing iron/nail ratios ?

:dingding: Congrats on the gold and discovering uses for a new tool & the double yellow!
:dingding: You get a another dinger for showing courage in making the right decision on your Superbowl viewership!

Felix is going to be distraught that you put those pennies named after him in the trash heap :lol:

:jawdrop: How could you do this Slim? Have not my persuasive words and defense of the penny over the years not melted your cruel heart? :bighanky: Please reconsider and remove them from the trash pile and place them in a separate picture. They rightfully deserve at least that even if you do throw them in the trash afterwards. :(

Well, I DID watch the Super Bowl and missed out on one of the best detecting days at the beach this year! :( At least I got a couple of keepers on Saturday night. Congrats on the fine hunt Slim! Looks like that nice 14k band has been there a while to tarnish like that??

I couldnt get out but a friend has been going to various beaches and striking out. My last few weekends were bad too. What was unique about winning beaches? Were goodies in the black sand in the photo or more towards the waves? Did the waves toss the targets up or erosion expose them? Everything Ive seen has been washed away and restored a couple times in the last year so Im thinking the waves toss the stuff back - just don’t know how to time it.

Wow, nice hunt and congrats on the gold!!! I love my Minelabs but I gotta try a PI unit one day. Every once in a while I got a spot like this so it would be sweet to pull some goodies like that.

Great hunt and great results.

Thank you for posting the pictures of the trash as well as the picture of the black sand beach.

Shows the conditions you were dealing with as well as how a PI will handle those conditions.

In addition, you show the mindset you need to have using a PI, where there will be lots n lots of trash targets dug.

Back
Top Bottom