View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 06:44 PM
Elite Member

Default How many? Cleaning and reusing items

Originally Posted by Dantheman View post
I was just wondering if any of you cleaned and reused or make crafts out of your finds? I would only do this with non historically relevant items while preserving the.

I have pulled up old bricks and large pieces of iron which I cleaned, coated, and epoxied to tiles for keepsakes for the owners. I usually date and but the location on them as well. Makes for a neat paper weight or shelf item to show some history. I will also coat some old iron with Rustoleum and use as door stops. I made this keychain last week after digging up an old copper (or bronze...not good at iding metal yet) ring that looks like you would tie a horse to it or would be on some horse related gear.

Copperish ring center top- Cleaned with wire brush, used a little brasso, then clear coat of rustoleum.

Made into keychain. I took a wine cork and tossed some eye loops in each end with epoxy and bent around ring.
Hi Dantheman

Nice finds !

Regarding the keychain ring, since you mentioned not being good at iding metal yet, perhaps the following will be of help. Attached below is a chart listing a few Non-magnetic metals.

(a)..Take a strong magnet, preferably a neodymium magnet and you can get these free out of a discarded computer hard drive (You Tube video's are available and free on the web showing how to remove these super high-powered magnets from a hard drive....just type something like "Removing neodymium magnets from a computer hard drive." into your search engine window.), (b) remove the ring from the keychain and tie it to a thin piece of sewing thread or low-pound plastic fishing line, (c) and then hold the upper end of the ring line in one hand and the upper-end of a line tied to the magnet in your other hand, hold both lines about a foot apart and wait until the magnet and ring stop oscillating, then slowly move the magnet toward the ring, (d) if it sticks to the ring, there is at least some amount of ferrous content (Iron) in the ring and most likely it is NOT one of the metals in the Attached chart.

The reason for using a neodymium (strongest type of magnet normally available to the average citizen.) is that it will be attracted to metal even if the amount of iron content is almost nothing. For practical purposes, you can estimate the amount of Iron content in the ring by how far away the magnet was when it started to be pulled toward the ring by magnetic force and how hard it grabbed-on (light and easy, or with a sudden snap!).

Now, (e) if you estimate from the above explanation that the iron content is on the high side, then your ring is probably iron and NOT brass which is most frequently used for bridles and halters for horses and halters for cows, on the other hand (f) if your test indicates the Iron content is very low (light and easy magnetic attraction), my guess would be brass, or maybe copper especially if the ring had green corrosion when found. Suffice to say it's probably one or the other, brass or copper based on this latter example (f).

Hope this helps.

ToddB64
Attached Images

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II ÁMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Last edited by ToddB64; 02-02-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Adding text to first paragraph.