• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

UV Lights and Fluorescent Minerals - a fun side hobby to metal detecting !

Glad you brought that up, maybe members living in areas with scorpions who were not yet aware of being able to use a UV flashlight to watch out for them can now be better prepared.

Yep, I've read about UV flashlights being used to spot scorpions at night, fortunately around here it is something we only read about, avoiding fire ant mounds is more than enough, very glad we don't have to be concerned about watching out for scorpions too :lol:

I just did a quick search online to find a pic of a scorpion under UV at night
View attachment 485796

Was that under the caption "Glowing alien spotted at night?" :lol:

Josh

OK, KT finally got around this evening to taking and posting a few more pairs of pictures...natural light, and UV, either short or long wave.

First pair is Fluorite from Madagascar, natural and long wave UV.

Second pair is Willemite from Franklin, NJ, natural and short wave UV.

Third pair is Calcite and Willemite rich cores, Franklin, NJ, natural and short wave UV.

Fourth and final pair is Halite, Salton Sea, California, Natural and short wave UV

These pictures were taken using a tripod with the Royal Camera looking straight down on the specimens, which were in a black 4"X4" box, images cropped to ~4"X4" and minor photo adjustment to increase the crispness of the images.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Fluorite Madagascar Natural light.jpg
    Fluorite Madagascar Natural light.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 319
  • Fluorite Madagascar 365 nm LW UV.jpg
    Fluorite Madagascar 365 nm LW UV.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 294
  • Willemite Franklin NJ natural light.jpg
    Willemite Franklin NJ natural light.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 300
  • Willemite Franklin NJ 254 nm SW UV.jpg
    Willemite Franklin NJ 254 nm SW UV.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 296
  • Calcite Willemite Franklin NJ 254nm LW .jpg
    Calcite Willemite Franklin NJ 254nm LW .jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Calcite Willemite Franklin NJ natural light.jpg
    Calcite Willemite Franklin NJ natural light.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 306
  • Halite Salton Sea, CA natural light.jpg
    Halite Salton Sea, CA natural light.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 300
  • Halite Salton Sea, CA 254 nm SW.jpg
    Halite Salton Sea, CA 254 nm SW.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 301
OK, KT finally got around this evening to taking and posting a few more pairs of pictures...natural light, and UV, either short or long wave.

Third pair is Calcite and Willemite rich cores, Franklin, NJ, natural and short wave UV.

Fourth and final pair is Halite, Salton Sea, California, Natural and short wave UV

These pictures were taken using a tripod with the Royal Camera looking straight down on the specimens, which were in a black 4"X4" box, images cropped to ~4"X4" and minor photo adjustment to increase the crispness of the images.

Enjoy!

:laughing: No wonder you have a mineral named after you... I still have my "TROLL" rock.... :lol:

Josh

:laughing: No wonder you have a mineral named after you... I still have my "TROLL" rock.... :lol:

Josh

HA HA, Metal detecto, I have been involved with MDing and CRHing efforts since 2011, but I was involved in mineral collecting and mineral studies for nearly 60 years! That still did not make it certain KT would have a mineral named after Him, but it did help. Many of my friends down through the years have had minerals named after them! I have known 8 such folks! Most all are now deceased!

Enjoy!

VERY interesting, cool and colorful specimens KT, thanks for adding them !!!!

Fluorescent minerals........ the frozen fireworks of geology ! :lol:

The shape of that Fluorite from Madagascar reminded me of peanut brittle ! :lol:

I recently viewed a youtube video where someone did a comparison between these two shortwave UV lamps and based on the video the difference seems very noticeable indeed.

I have the older version of the UV lamp at the first link and at the time I bought it it was a 6 watt unit (current version listed as 11 watts), and while it does okay for viewing my currently small collection of fluorescent minerals, I still wish I had that other brand of shortwave UV lamp at the 2nd link below, though it likely was not even available way back when I bought the one I did.

https://www.ultraviolet-tools.com/ultraviolet-lamps-/enhanced-11-watt-shortwave-midwave-longwave-uv-lamp.html

The one at the link below was shown in that comparison video as being much more effective in lighting up fluorescent minerals even at a further distance

https://www.midnightminerals.com/product-page/wtc-the-triple-5w

I just wanted anyone considering buying a shortwave UV lamp to be aware of the differences in effectiveness that comparison video showed, but ultimately the decision is yours to make so do your own online research to be sure first before buying.

EDIT TO ADD:

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I just did an online search to find that comparison video and discovered the maker of that video made a "Part 2" of that video using better batteries in the UV Tools model from the first link and to be fair he said with the better batteries the difference was much less, maybe only about 10% and near the end of the Part 2 video below he said he thinks that if someone uses even better batteries than he used the results between the two will be the same.

Part of the video description of Part 2 includes:

"In this part, the comparison is made using nickel metal hydride batteries with uvtools lamp instead of energizer's alkalines, It is clear the NIMH batteries provide notably better results, enhanced markedly the illumination and bridged the gap between the two lamps far less than in previous comparison." (end of quote)

.....so I might see about getting NIMH "D" batteries for my UV Tools shortwave lamp to see the difference for myself.
(just checked Amazon and as of now looks like I can get a 4 pack of NIMH rechargeable "D" batteries for about $23, the UV Tools lamp uses 3 "D" batteries)

Here is his Part 2 comparison video:

I just wanted to add this new info I just discovered in the interest of being fair and including all info that can factor into a buyer's decision.

Last edited:
I recently viewed a youtube video where someone did a comparison between these two shortwave UV lamps and based on the video the difference seems very noticeable indeed.

I have the older version of the UV lamp at the first link and at the time I bought it it was a 6 watt unit (current version listed as 11 watts), and while it does okay for viewing my currently small collection of fluorescent minerals, I still wish I had that other brand of shortwave UV lamp at the 2nd link below, though it likely was not even available way back when I bought the one I did.

https://www.ultraviolet-tools.com/ultraviolet-lamps-/enhanced-11-watt-shortwave-midwave-longwave-uv-lamp.html

The one at the link below was shown in that comparison video as being much more effective in lighting up fluorescent minerals even at a further distance

https://www.midnightminerals.com/product-page/wtc-the-triple-5w

I just wanted anyone considering buying a shortwave UV lamp to be aware of the differences in effectiveness that comparison video showed, but ultimately the decision is yours to make so do your own online research to be sure first before buying.

EDIT TO ADD:

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I just did an online search to find that comparison video and discovered the maker of that video made a "Part 2" of that video using better batteries in the UV Tools model from the first link and to be fair he said with the better batteries the difference was much less, maybe only about 10% and near the end of the Part 2 video below he said he thinks that if someone uses even better batteries than he used the results between the two will be the same.

Part of the video description of Part 2 includes:

"In this part, the comparison is made using nickel metal hydride batteries with uvtools lamp instead of energizer's alkalines, It is clear the NIMH batteries provide notably better results, enhanced markedly the illumination and bridged the gap between the two lamps far less than in previous comparison." (end of quote)

.....so I might see about getting NIMH "D" batteries for my UV Tools shortwave lamp to see the difference for myself.
(just checked Amazon and as of now looks like I can get a 4 pack of NIMH rechargeable "D" batteries for about $23, the UV Tools lamp uses 3 "D" batteries)

Here is his Part 2 comparison video:

I just wanted to add this new info I just discovered in the interest of being fair and including all info that can factor into a buyer's decision.

Good addition! What KT likes is that both the WayTooCool 5 watt SW and the UVBeast T3 use the same 18650 rechargeable batteries and the same plug in the wall socket charger. No need to carry a variety of batteries with you, just one type and size. KT likes simplicity. And when you watch that part 2 video , the maker states that the WayTooCool SW is still about 10% brighter response in his opinion. They looked pretty close to me, but now that KT has His, He will use them and not worry with getting another one....at least for awhile!

Good addition! What KT likes is that both the WayTooCool 5 watt SW and the UVBeast T3 use the same 18650 rechargeable batteries and the same plug in the wall socket charger. No need to carry a variety of batteries with you, just one type and size. KT likes simplicity. And when you watch that part 2 video , the maker states that the WayTooCool SW is still about 10% brighter response in his opinion. They looked pretty close to me, but now that KT has His, He will use them and not worry with getting another one....at least for awhile!

I agree KT that the Way Too Cool model is an excellent choice and I even like the design better, but I just wanted to clarify what the Part 2 video brought out to be fair with the additional info he discovered.

If I remember the specifics in the Part 2 video correctly he thinks that with even better NIMH "D" batteries than what he used that the UV tools lamp will likely be an even comparison to the Way Too Cool lamp. I think he said the NIMH batteries he used was rated at 8000mah but tested at only 4000mah.

I ordered from Amazon a 4 pack of NIMH "D" batteries rated at 10000mah and a good customer rating.

I figured since I already had a UV Tools lamp that it would be cheaper to buy the good NIMH batteries to see if it does indeed make big enough difference so that buying a Way Too Cool model would be an unnecessary expense. (I had been using regular alkaline "D" batteries)

Here are the batteries I just ordered for my UV Tools lamp:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B4SCCPY/

and I found a charger that had a 30% off coupon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BNQFKVZ/

.....if I didn't already have a UV Tools lamp I bought long ago I might likely be more inclined to buy the Way Too Cool lamp, but if the good rated NIMH batteries make a good difference with the UV Tools lamp I already have then I can be content with continuing to use what I already have. (hey, got to stretch my hobby budget when I can :lol:)

I agree KT that the Way Too Cool model is an excellent choice and I even like the design better, but I just wanted to clarify what the Part 2 video brought out to be fair with the additional info he discovered.

If I remember the specifics in the Part 2 video correctly he thinks that with even better NIMH "D" batteries than what he used that the UV tools lamp will likely be an even comparison to the Way Too Cool lamp. I think he said the NIMH batteries he used was rated at 8000mah but tested at only 4000mah.

I ordered from Amazon a 4 pack of NIMH "D" batteries rated at 10000mah and a good customer rating.

I figured since I already had a UV Tools lamp that it would be cheaper to buy the good NIMH batteries to see if it does indeed make big enough difference so that buying a Way Too Cool model would be an unnecessary expense. (I had been using regular alkaline "D" batteries)

Here are the batteries I just ordered for my UV Tools lamp:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B4SCCPY/

and I found a charger that had a 30% off coupon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BNQFKVZ/

.....if I didn't already have a UV Tools lamp I bought long ago I might likely be more inclined to buy the Way Too Cool lamp, but if the good rated NIMH batteries make a good difference with the UV Tools lamp I already have then I can be content with continuing to use what I already have. (hey, got to stretch my hobby budget when I can :lol:)

There is nothing like personal experience to help all of us, so when you get those new batteries, let us all know how much better or brighter your minerals look!
BTW, KT forgot how much the 11-watt unit cost, so could you please refresh the Royal Memory? :laughing::laughing: i do like that it has a built in regular flashlight! That can be very handy! KT has a headband cree flashlight to solve that problem in the field.

There is nothing like personal experience to help all of us, so when you get those new batteries, let us all know how much better or brighter your minerals look!
BTW, KT forgot how much the 11-watt unit cost, so could you please refresh the Royal Memory? :laughing::laughing: i do like that it has a built in regular flashlight! That can be very handy! KT has a headband cree flashlight to solve that problem in the field.

Absolutely, I have planned to give a review at what difference the good quality NIMH batteries make over the alkaline batteries I had been using. After I get the NIMH batteries I will first make sure to get them up to a full charge as in the battery description they ship them precharged at about 15%~20%.

Now it might be sometime next week (but hopefully sooner) when I do the comparison test, I want to try to have it set up to be a fair comparison and have some minerals on a table and have the lamp measured out at a set distance from the minerals so when I try the alkaline batteries, then the NIMH batteries it will be at the same distance. Photos under UV don't always seem show the same level of brightness as what you see in person, but I will try to see if I can at least show the difference between the two sets of batteries even though it might not look as bright as when in person.

As far as your question, I just checked and the current price is listed at $94.99 and includes the UV SW/MW/LW lamp, 10 fluorescent mineral specimens, and UV blocking glasses.

Here is the link to see a photo of the lamp: https://www.ultraviolet-tools.com/ultraviolet-lamps-/enhanced-11-watt-shortwave-midwave-longwave-uv-lamp.html

I have a headband LED flashlight too and it has come in pretty handy at times when you need both hands free when doing hobbies or working on projects, the one I have has a bright mode, a "less bright" mode, and a red mode with 2 red LEDs for when you need to preserve your night vision.

Absolutely, I have planned to give a review at what difference the good quality NIMH batteries make over the alkaline batteries I had been using. After I get the NIMH batteries I will first make sure to get them up to a full charge as in the battery description they ship them precharged at about 15%~20%.

Now it might be sometime next week (but hopefully sooner) when I do the comparison test, I want to try to have it set up to be a fair comparison and have some minerals on a table and have the lamp measured out at a set distance from the minerals so when I try the alkaline batteries, then the NIMH batteries it will be at the same distance. Photos under UV don't always seem show the same level of brightness as what you see in person, but I will try to see if I can at least show the difference between the two sets of batteries even though it might not look as bright as when in person.

As far as your question, I just checked and the current price is listed at $94.99 and includes the UV SW/MW/LW lamp, 10 fluorescent mineral specimens, and UV blocking glasses.

Here is the link to see a photo of the lamp: https://www.ultraviolet-tools.com/ultraviolet-lamps-/enhanced-11-watt-shortwave-midwave-longwave-uv-lamp.html

I have a headband LED flashlight too and it has come in pretty handy at times when you need both hands free when doing hobbies or working on projects, the one I have has a bright mode, a "less bright" mode, and a red mode with 2 red LEDs for when you need to preserve your night vision.

KT will be watching this thread for that info. And will likely post a few more picture pairs before that happens! :D:D

Here we go! A lazy Saturday afternoon with time on KT's Royal Hands...what should He do?? Got it! Take a few more pictures to post in this thread!!:D:D

So....these pictures were taken using a Chinese USB led microscope set at 10X magnification. No cropping was done so all images are essentially the same size, horizontally and vertically, which is about 1 square cm.

The first pair of pictures are of Autunite, a uranium-bearing mineral from Hunan, China. Natural Light and SW UV 254 nm wavelength.

Second pair of pictures are of Calcite, calcium carbonate, a common mineral, sometimes fluorescent, from Kelly Mine, Secorro, New Mexico. Natural light and SW UV 254 nm wavelength.

The third pair of pictures is of some cut diamonds, ~1/10th carat each or 10 points from unknown locations around the world. First picture is natural light and second pictures shows that only one fluoresces, just to the left of the center of the field of view. It is a pale greenish yellow in natural light and has a strong greenish yellow fluorescent response in SW UV 254 nm wavelength. Only about 10-15 % of all diamonds have a fluorescent response, but all fluoresce when exposed to X-ray wavelength radiation!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Calcite Kelly Mine Secorro, NM 10X SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    Calcite Kelly Mine Secorro, NM 10X SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 287
  • Calcite Kelly Mine Secorro, NM 10X natural light.jpg
    Calcite Kelly Mine Secorro, NM 10X natural light.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Autinite Hunan, China 10X  SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    Autinite Hunan, China 10X SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 275
  • Autinite Hunan, China 10X natural light.jpg
    Autinite Hunan, China 10X natural light.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 276
  • Diamonds colored 10X natural light.jpg
    Diamonds colored 10X natural light.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 281
  • Diamonds colored 10X SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    Diamonds colored 10X SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 281
Here we go! A lazy Saturday afternoon with time on KT's Royal Hands...what should He do?? Got it! Take a few more pictures to post in this thread!!:D:D

So....these pictures were taken using a Chinese USB led microscope set at 10X magnification. No cropping was done so all images are essentially the same size, horizontally and vertically, which is about 1 square cm.

The first pair of pictures are of Autunite, a uranium-bearing mineral from Hunan, China. Natural Light and SW UV 254 nm wavelength.

Second pair of pictures are of Calcite, calcium carbonate, a common mineral, sometimes fluorescent, from Kelly Mine, Secorro, New Mexico. Natural light and SW UV 254 nm wavelength.

The third pair of pictures is of some cut diamonds, ~1/10th carat each or 10 points from unknown locations around the world. First picture is natural light and second pictures shows that only one fluoresces, just to the left of the center of the field of view. It is a pale greenish yellow in natural light and has a strong greenish yellow fluorescent response in SW UV 254 nm wavelength. Only about 10-15 % of all diamonds have a fluorescent response, but all fluoresce when exposed to X-ray wavelength radiation!

Enjoy!

More cool additions KT !!!!! :thumbsup:

Is that Autunite safe ? It does look neat though !

The Calcite offers a nice contrasting color to the green of the previous mineral !

Neat how the one diamond stands out under the UV, I guess being 1/10 carat diamonds makes them fairly affordable :lol:

More cool additions KT !!!!! :thumbsup:

Is that Autunite safe ? It does look neat though !

The Calcite offers a nice contrasting color to the green of the previous mineral !

Neat how the one diamond stands out under the UV, I guess being 1/10 carat diamonds makes them fairly affordable :lol:

Royal thanks, GKL! About radioactive minerals, they are safe, unless you eat them! :laughing::laughing: If you handle it, then wash your hands to remove any particles. No uranium ore minerals are regulated, so not that serious a threat. Yep, KT likes the contrasting colors you can get.

Calcite has many variations of color. KT will post some pics of a very interesting calcite specimen in the future, mainly due to its fluorescence in different wavelengths.

Years ago, KT used to purchase loose diamonds on eBay for about $2 a point, so these cost KT about $20 a piece. KT sold many of them to ladies so they could have custom jewelry for $5 a point. These are what I have left from that effort...basically nothing left in them now. Always thought His Majesty might just take them to a custom Jeweler and have a single pendant made of them for the Queen!

Last edited:
Royal thanks, GKL! About radioactive minerals, they are safe, unless you eat them! :laughing::laughing: If you handle it, then wash your hands to remove any particles. No uranium ore minerals are regulated, so not that serious a thread. Yep, KT likes the contrasting colors you can get.

Calcite has many variations of color. KT will post some pics of a very interesting calcite specimen in the future, mainly due to its fluorescence in different wavelengths.

Years ago, KT used to purchase loose diamonds on eBay for about $2 a point, so these cost KT about $20 a piece. KT sold many of them to ladies so they could have custom jewelry for $5 a point. These are what I have left from that effort...basically nothing left in them now. Always thought His Majesty might just take them to a custom Jeweler and have a single pendant made of them for the Queen!

Thanks for confirming the Uranium containing minerals are not really a threat, I figured they likely wouldn't be sold if they were. (I could have searched the web for info but it was late at night and I was tired :lol:)

That would be an interesting series of pics to photograph the same Calcite specimen under different wavelengths to show the difference, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about that before.

While the $20 per 1/10 carat diamond is not a huge amount, with what you said before: "Only about 10-15 % of all diamonds have a fluorescent response" as neat as it looks under UV I don't think I'll be buying a bunch in hopes that I "might" get one that glows under UV :lol:

When you said that years ago you used to buy loose diamonds on eBay, did it occur to you back then to check them with the UV to sort out any that glowed or was that before you got into using UV lamps ?

Thanks for confirming the Uranium containing minerals are not really a threat, I figured they likely wouldn't be sold if they were. (I could have searched the web for info but it was late at night and I was tired :lol:)

That would be an interesting series of pics to photograph the same Calcite specimen under different wavelengths to show the difference, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about that before.

While the $20 per 1/10 carat diamond is not a huge amount, with what you said before: "Only about 10-15 % of all diamonds have a fluorescent response" as neat as it looks under UV I don't think I'll be buying a bunch in hopes that I "might" get one that glows under UV :lol:

When you said that years ago you used to buy loose diamonds on eBay, did it occur to you back then to check them with the UV to sort out any that glowed or was that before you got into using UV lamps ?

At that time, KT was interested in supplying reasonably priced diamonds as accent stones for custom jewelry and had several ladies who asked KT to keep his Royal Eyes open for bargains. But was not worrying about their fluorescent properties. That is not the only diamond that KT still has that fluoresces, but happens to be the only one that responds to SW UV. There are a few others that respond to LW UV. Will eventually get around to photographing them too for this thread!

In the past, KT had a mineral dealer/friend from Brazil who had several hundred diamond crystals, who offered to let me examine them and sell me what I wanted for $1/point. His Majesty did use a fluorescent light and picked out about 30 from a parcel of several hundred, spending about $100 on them. They were part of a larger collection of natural diamond crystals from about 40 sites worldwide that I finally was offered too much money for and sold. The money was nice, but looking back on the situation, I should have kept that collection! :laughing::laughing:

The Autunite is also a very small specimen, about 1/2" in diameter, but its response to either UV light is amazingly bright!

The multi-response calcite has one very well known, but now depleted location, in the USA...that being Terlingua, Texas, the site of former mercury mining. Terlingua is better known as the location of the annual International Chili Cookoff Contest! A lesser known locality is in Mexico very close to Terlingua, but just across the border that is presently producing a limited number of specimens. The piece I have is from that second location. It also has strong phosphorescence as a response to SW UV. Pink in LW UV, White to blue-white in SW, and blue-white phosphorescence. I have not yet taken pictures of it.

A minor sideline to this thread, especially for you bottle or glassware collectors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass

and a video or two;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJE-cL7wgEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS--4FmvZt0

You might also find an occasional marble, too.

Roger

Neat, thanks for sharing that !!!!

While the focus of the thread might lean more towards fluorescent minerals, it is fun to also see some other things that glow under UV !

(The marble made from vaseline glass in the 1st post is also known as uranium glass)

A minor sideline to this thread, especially for you bottle or glassware collectors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass

and a video or two;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJE-cL7wgEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS--4FmvZt0

You might also find an occasional marble, too.

Roger

Thanks for that info and links, Roger! KT has picked up a few pieces of fluorescent glass at his local fleamarkets! They certainly add to a collection of fluorescent materials! :D:D

Continuing with some images of fluorescent minerals

Here we go!

The first images were taken with the Royal Digital Camera, not the microscope, and are of some fluorescent diamonds in long wave. Three images, first natural light, second unfiltered LW UV, third filtered LW UV. In this instance, KT used the Royal LW lamp to sort out all the non-fluorescent stones, leaving the fluorescent ones behind. About 50% of all the stones fluoresced nicely. That is pictures 1, 2, and 3. In picture 3, note the one diamond lower right that fluoresces pink in filtered LW UV!

The next set of 3 images were of a pair of spinel crystals from Tasmania, same sequence, but taken at 10X magnification with the USB led microscope. In actuality KT could not get an image that showed the deep strong red fluorescent color, every picture came out kinda orange tinted. No matter how KT manipulated the color of the images, they did not come out deep red.

The final 3 images are of 3 spinel crystals from Burma, also taken at 10X with the USB led microscope. Same color problem. The yellow blue-blocker filter also tinted the crystal over to orange from deep red.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Diamonds LW UV filtered.jpg
    Diamonds LW UV filtered.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Diamonds  LW UV no filter.jpg
    Diamonds LW UV no filter.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Diamonds natural light.jpg
    Diamonds natural light.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Spinel Tasmania 10X natural light.jpg